PDA

View Full Version : Fluence in Digital Drawing

Takgrag
02-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Hello.. This is a last resort.
I am here , on the forum because I have hit rock bottom in digital drawing , not painting.
I have searched the internets , I have searched these forums , but I cannot find techniques for improving fluence in lines when using a graphic tablet.
I am an intermediate level traditional artist ( just pencil/papper ) and when hitting the papper , my lines are fluent , straight and look good.
But every time I touch the graphic tablet , my lines go crazy.
It is very different , as you know, you do not really have the friction between the tip of the pencil and papper on a tablet , and on a tablet , my lines lose fluence , straightness , and it looks like a 2 year olds first drawing.
I would be very gratefull if you could show me any exercises for resolving this problem , I am fully dedicated to this , mostly because it is frustrating. My head is full of conceptual ideas , but I cannot share it to the world in digital form.
Thank you in advance , and thank you for taking the time to read this.

tomylobo
02-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Cool to hear someone with the same problem!
I am not quite sure where does it come from, I won't say it's the friction (and depending on how you draw, you may want to simply try to add a ...paper sheet on your tablet, so if you draw like I do, with your hand resting on the paper, you will have more friction, but if you draw like a chinese calligrapher, it won't help)
I am not sure that it will improve a lot the quality, but you may have more feelings that you are used to.
About that problem I have an explanation, I think that watching the screen while your hand is trying to make a curve on the tablet is what makes it hard to get perfect results.(that need to be verified, with a Cintiq for example, but I don't have access to that kind of super hardware, a bit to pricey for me right now!)

Takgrag
02-21-2012, 10:06 AM
I added a paper on my tablet but now I am losing pen pressure.
And yes , especially if using a refference , tracing it is so hard because of exactly that. ( looking at the screen instead of the tablet ).
I guess it will just take time and lots of practice.
Thanks for the reply. :)

dbisme
02-22-2012, 02:59 AM
I added a paper on my tablet but now I am losing pen pressure.
And yes , especially if using a refference , tracing it is so hard because of exactly that. ( looking at the screen instead of the tablet ).
I guess it will just take time and lots of practice.
Thanks for the reply. :)

What kind of tablet are you using? Wacom Intuos tablets have a Control Panel app that lets you adjust pressure settings. (Called Wacom Tablet Properties)

tomylobo
02-22-2012, 03:17 AM
Losing pen pressure? really?Very strange!
I have an intuos 2 and adding a sheet of paper isn't a problem, in fact it was designed with that in mind, on the tablet there is a sheet of plastic (the working space for the pen) one can slid a sheet of paper to use as a reference.
In that case you have to look at the tablet while drawing over the reference, but because it's not a pen that will leave a trace it's a bit like drawing with invisible ink!
Just as dbisme said you may want to change the pressure settings to see if it better suits your need...or buy a better tablet.

Takgrag
02-22-2012, 06:02 AM
My tablet is a Genius G-Pen M609. I will search for those pen pressure settings.
Thank you.

Lunatique
02-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Some 2D drawing apps are much better than others when it comes to line art. For example, Paintool SAI is superior to both Painter or Photoshop, not only because it allows very fluid and expressive lines, but also because the lines can be spline based and you can actually alter the lines AFTER you've drawn them by moving the points around. It is a marvelous tool for people who love line drawing.

Also, are you using proper brush settings in your drawing app? Are you controlling the thickness or opacity of your lines with pen pressure? This is extremely important for drawing expressively in the digital realm.

Takgrag
02-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Ok I checked some IT forums and it seems that I do not have a powerfull enough graphic card to run Photoshop smoothly. That, and the restricted amount of RAM I can dedicate to Photoshop is way too low for my system. So there was my problem.

Some 2D drawing apps are much better than others when it comes to line art. For example, Paintool SAI is superior to both Painter or Photoshop, not only because it allows very fluid and expressive lines, but also because the lines can be spline based and you can actually alter the lines AFTER you've drawn them by moving the points around. It is a marvelous tool for people who love line drawing.

I have tried Paintool SAI and it is marvelous. Thank you so much for recommending it. No lag whatsoever, lines come out smooth and straight.
I am ready to start sketching , and I hope you will be there to critique me.
Thank you.

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2012, 11:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.