PDA

View Full Version : I can't get the UV mapping to work


HellBorn
11-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Well, I'm using Messiah:Studio 1.5b.
I have tried several times now to get UV mapped images to work but with no succes. I have search for info in the manual but there is not much to read about UV mapping at all.

To be sure that it not was a problem with my model
I did a simple box in Wings, UV mapped it and exported to .obj and to .3ds(so I could test if it had anything to do with the file format) and loaded it into Vue to verify that it worked as it should and it did.

Then I loaded it into Messiah:Studio, created a material. Did several tries to get the UV mapping to show up but it dos'nt.
Rendering works well for the applied image as long as I don't chose UV mapping as the map type. As sone as I do the whole object gets the same color and no map will render.

I can't figure this one out.

Could someone give me a step by step description, I must be missing something.

FB_Turbine
11-18-2003, 12:31 AM
Works fine with LW objects. I'm not sure if any other UV file formats are supported at the moment.

Swissphil
11-18-2003, 06:33 AM
As far as I know, it only works with LightWave models.
I mapped a few models in Cinema4D, but to get them into Messiah:Studio properly, I have to export them as obj, then import into LW, flip all polygons and then apply the textures.
Than I save the model as an ordinary LWO-File and use it in Messiah.

It probably will work if you are able to convert your object into LightWave LWO format (But don't ask me how to to this without LW)

Phil

simeon.n
11-18-2003, 08:30 AM
Hello HellBorn,

I just made a model in wings (just a box), applied a UV map using wings, then exported to .obj format. The object imported into messiah fine, and the UV maps worked perfectly (in both the viewport and render).

To use UV mapping in messiah:

Add a texture node in the shader flow to your material.

Choose your image

Choose 'UV' as the mapping type,

Then tick the little box next to the UV map you want to use for that image.

Here's (http://home.iprimus.com.au/interpol/uv_wings.jpg) a small screenshot of my settings.

HellBorn
11-18-2003, 08:25 PM
First I could not get it to work as there was nothing in that little list.

Then I remade the export from Wings and i finally got something into that little list. I have some faint memory of seeing something in there before but as there is nothing at all indicating a possibillity to put a checkmark there I never got the ide to try and click that area. Why the heck do they hide 'options'
this way?

Tank's a lot, I would never had figured this out by myself.

lmilton
11-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by HellBorn
First I could not get it to work as there was nothing in that little list.

Then I remade the export from Wings and i finally got something into that little list. I have some faint memory of seeing something in there before but as there is nothing at all indicating a possibillity to put a checkmark there I never got the ide to try and click that area. Why the heck do they hide 'options'
this way?

Tank's a lot, I would never had figured this out by myself.

Accessing the UV map from the location in which you apply texture maps, on the TextureMap shader, is *very* direct... at least within the flow of the system. How do you propose we make it more direct, from your point of view?

Any info you can provide would be appeciated.

Thanx

-lyle

simeon.n
11-20-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by lmilton
Accessing the UV map from the location in which you apply texture maps, on the TextureMap shader, is *very* direct... at least within the flow of the system. How do you propose we make it more direct, from your point of view?

Any info you can provide would be appeciated.

Thanx

-lyle

I think HellBorn means that he was not aware you had to place a tick in the margin of the UV map list next to the UV map you wanted to use, and that it wasn't obvious to place a tick there.

I'm kind of curious though, why is there a list box of UV maps rather than a popup menu? A list allows you to select more than one UV map to effect a single texture node, what does that do?

lmilton
11-20-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by simeon.n
I'm kind of curious though, why is there a list box of UV maps rather than a popup menu? A list allows you to select more than one UV map to effect a single texture node, what does that do?

The list exists because the material to which the TextureMap shader is a component may be attached to any number of surfaces on differenet objects; those surface may be referencing many different uv maps.

If we used a popup for the map name, then we'd also have to use another for the current surface name. This means that in order to activate a uv map, you'd have to select the surface in the first popup and then select the uv map in the next. The current method is much more direct, and gives a clear visual of uv usage for that texture;)

-lyle

ps: we'll see if there is a way to make the purpose of the list column more evident.

simeon.n
11-21-2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by lmilton
The list exists because the material to which the TextureMap shader is a component may be attached to any number of surfaces on differenet objects; those surface may be referencing many different uv maps.

If we used a popup for the map name, then we'd also have to use another for the current surface name. This means that in order to activate a uv map, you'd have to select the surface in the first popup and then select the uv map in the next. The current method is much more direct, and gives a clear visual of uv usage for that texture;)


Ah, you guys are always thinking seventeen steps ahead :).

Originally posted by lmilton
ps: we'll see if there is a way to make the purpose of the list column more evident.

Maybe you could just have it automatically tick the first UV map in the list when the mapping type is set to UV. That way if there is only one UV map, it's gonna be the one the user wants to use, and if there are multiple UV maps it gives some indication that a tick needs to be placed in front of the appropriate map.

HellBorn
11-21-2003, 06:28 AM
I think HellBorn means that he was not aware you had to place a tick in the margin of the UV map list next to the UV map you wanted to use, and that it wasn't obvious to place a tick there.

That's correct.
Most list in messiah that has options and switches like this usually allwas has some kind of setting allread and if not everything in the list has it at least some item in the list do and that makes you try and click it.

But if whe take the rendertab as an example when in the material mode there is a material list with boxes but nothing happens when you click them. As it is, in some case it's not allways the fact that the boxes on the left holds options. In some list maybe it's also the case that some items have options while others don't whitch means that the boxes cant be removed when there are no option because there might be later.

In the case with the UV mapping I would have figured it out myself if there had been a greyed out checkmark or something else indicating a not activated option becuse then I would have realised that there was something to turn on.

So, whould it be possible to invent a symbol that tells the user the difference between an unactivated option box and a box that not have any options and then use this in a consequent way in the application.

simeon.n
11-22-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by HellBorn
But if whe take the rendertab as an example when in the material mode there is a material list with boxes but nothing happens when you click them. As it is, in some case it's not allways the fact that the boxes on the left holds options. In some list maybe it's also the case that some items have options while others don't whitch means that the boxes cant be removed when there are no option because there might be later.

Actually, the material tab list in render mode has a very cool function. The two 'margins' of the list allow you to use a feature called Shader Linking, it lets you set one material to be a 'master' and any other number of materials to be 'slaves', the slaves will act like instances of the master material. If you load up the messiah docs and go to the What's New section for studio Advance .5 you will find shader linking described in detail.

So it is always the case that the boxes on the left will hold options, they just might not be that apparent.

lmilton
11-22-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by simeon.n
Actually, the material tab list in render mode has a very cool function. The two 'margins' of the list allow you to use a feature called Shader Linking, it lets you set one material to be a 'master' and any other number of materials to be 'slaves', the slaves will act like instances of the master material. If you load up the messiah docs and go to the What's New section for studio Advance .5 you will find shader linking described in detail.

So it is always the case that the boxes on the left will hold options, they just might not be that apparent.

As far as the Materials list, there really is no practical way to represent Shader Linking in the columns when nothing is actually linked.

With regards to your suggestion about activating the first map, without looking at what's involved, it sounds possible. I'm sure there is a fundamental reason that it doesn't automatically do this, but we'll check it out.

Thanx for the assist

-lyle

ikmo
11-25-2003, 09:15 PM
Thanks Simeon and Lyle!!!:beer:

I've been trying to get this to work, but never thought about "ticking" the check mark! duh! :cry:

I vote for having the only or first UV map "ticked" when the UV option is selected from the list.

-henry

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.