PDA

View Full Version : Dry Stone Wall using Dynamics?

IestynRoberts
02-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Hey everyone.

I've not played around with dynamics much, and I was wandering what the best way would be to create a stone wall? Using the old 'rockGen' MEL script for Maya I've created around 50 polygons rocks, and roughly placed them ontop of each other, but I was hoping I'd get Maya to compile them ontop of each other for me, as trying to get all the 50 rocks to lie ontop of each other correctly could get time consuming.

Is there a quick and easy way to do this using dynamics? I don't want it to be animated, just want it done so I can have a solid looking dry stone wall?

Thanks!

mandark1011
02-17-2012, 04:59 PM
place your rocks above an open cube with the top face deleted that mimics the shape and size of your wall and set it as a passive nmesh, then combine your rocks(make sure they are not touching) into a single mesh and make it an ncloth object with high stretch, bend resistance etc. Also set rigidiy high and click on poly shells. Simulate your rocks into place inside your cube, then duplicate your ncloth and delete history you should have a stone wall. As well as the simulation side of things if you dont like what you got an need to tweak settings and resim

good luck

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2012, 04:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.