PDA

View Full Version : Generating Mattes from Scanned in Animation

digitalshaman
02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently working on a traditional animation job that will be composited in After Effects.

We're trying to speed up the process of manually painting mattes for specific animation elements from the scanned in frames.

So for example, if we had a character with a hat drawn, animated and scanned in, say 24 frames. Is there a way we can quickly and efficiently create a matte for the hat that doesn't entail having to paint one frame by frame, or in AE having to rotoscope the hat shape with a mask frame by frame.

A process in after effects would be beneficial, but i'm open to suggestions of other software that is able to do this.

For example something that could clean up the line work (if needs be), fill an area with a colour, and then automatically do this procedure for the subsequent frames, then output a matte image sequence.

I hope this is clear, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sorry i've posted this in the after effects forum instead and can't figure out how to delete this one.

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.