PDA

View Full Version : HARDCORE MODELING!: MASTER OF ANIME: Masamune Shirow: Character model

g3isha
02-14-2012, 09:45 PM
This is my first time doing a modeling challenge on CG society, so please bear with me! I've decided to do it like many of you, in hopes of improving my work and getting valuable critiques. I am a huge fan of Masamune Shirow's work... Ghost in the Shell is of course my favourite :) But I've decided to create a model inspired by Masamune's many female characters. I'd like to portray the same characteristics as he so often does in his images... strength, sexuality, technology, and spirituality. In this challenge I'll be focusing on Zbrush and my sculpting skills... and hopefully I'll get everything finished in time! :p

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/panzer_jager/MasamunsGirl.jpg

g3isha
02-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Progress so far. I used a base mesh I made last year... tweaked the proportions to suite the style I'm going for.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/panzer_jager/WIP1.jpg

g3isha
02-15-2012, 03:15 AM
Moving her into pose, not quite like my sketch yet!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/panzer_jager/WIP_pose.jpg

Scote
02-15-2012, 10:25 PM
cool wip. can we see your topo?

g3isha
02-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Here is the topo on my model. I would like to retopologize it in Zbrush once it's finished, which I've never done before.... I've seen a few tutorials out there, but if anyone can recommend any great ones, please share! :)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/panzer_jager/WIP_wire.jpg

g3isha
02-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Another update, didn't have time to work on it yesterday so I've been on it today. Began blocking some shapes for her clothes and posed her fingers.... arrrg I hate doing hands and fingers! :blush:

Unfortunately my base mesh has poles right on her cheeks and no matter how much I try to smooth them out, the points wont disappear :sad: Hopefully this will be solved when I retopologize?

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/panzer_jager/WIP2-1.jpg

WyattHarris
02-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Well, the usual reason for retopologizing is to take ZBrush's resulting mesh, which is usually a mess, and conform it to something more typical. In your case you started with a base mesh which already has a good topology so retopo'ing is sort of redoubling your work.

Now if you just want to retopo to fix the poles in the face I can understand that but in the future it would be much easier to take care of that before going to ZBrush.

But that's not what you asked for is it. :D
1. Load your tool in ZBrush
2. Switch to a ZSphere (This will activate certain zsphere specific options on the tool menu)
3. Pop open the Adaptive Skin, Rigging, Topology and Projection menu
4. Under Rigging click Select Mesh and choose your tool, you will get a ghost version of it
5. Under Topology click Edit Topology
6. Under Projection toggle Projection on
7. Now start clicking on your tool to create new topology. Make quads were you need them and click your original point to close the quad. You may use symmetry here, very handy.
8. If you want to start in a different spot than the last place you stopped hold CTRL and click an existing point and start from there. Click into an existing line to divide it and make new points. Switch to the move mode to adjust existing points although the points don't always want to stick to the tool so be careful. Switch back to draw mode to continue.
9. As you retopo hit "a" to switch on Adaptive Sampling preview and check your progress. Without projection activated it won't project directly to your mesh and you'll get a very smooth version of your tool. Adjust the Density slider to increase the poly count of your adaptive skin. Punch "a" again to continue.
10. Once you're finished click Make Adaptive Skin and you're done, new mesh.

I believe that's all of the steps but I may have missed something, let me know if you hit a stumbling block. You don't need to go very dense with the retopo but experiment with it. You can probably find examples online of how others did it.

Good luck.

ysalec
02-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Those poles will disappear when you re-topo.

In the meantime, here is a zbrush tip:

Zbrush actually has TWO smoothing algorithms which are designed for different things.

The first one which most often used is activated on a normal smooth. Hold shift and paint to smooth. Simple. This brush is designed to work evenly over all topology.

The second is the one that most people don't know about. Hold shift to activate the smooth brush, begins to paint with your smooth brush(click the mouse), then LET GO OF SHIFT without stopping painting(don't unclick the mouse).

This second brush is designed to smooth out poles. Try it. With the first brush, poles are often minimized but will never go away. With the second brush, you can typically get rid of a pole even on a smooth surface.

In the end though, it's always important to re-topo to a smoother mesh, because your poles will re-appear if you attempt to animate, pose, or draw on them.

Good luck in the challenge.

g3isha
02-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Zbrush actually has TWO smoothing algorithms which are designed for different things.

The first one which most often used is activated on a normal smooth. Hold shift and paint to smooth. Simple. This brush is designed to work evenly over all topology.

The second is the one that most people don't know about. Hold shift to activate the smooth brush, begins to paint with your smooth brush(click the mouse), then LET GO OF SHIFT without stopping painting(don't unclick the mouse).

Thank you so much for this tip! :cool:
I had no idea the option even existed and it worked like a charm!

Also thanks WyattHarris for the step-by-step. I will refer to it when I've moved onto retopologizing. I appreciate all the help!!

g3isha
02-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Another quick update!

So far I've blocked in most of the shapes (still need to add some hair pieces and model her weapon) Then I'll be on to detailing and hopefully adding some colour. I've been playing around with ZBrush's lighting and materials... I never knew how in depth it actually is, which is great because I plan to render my final image in it.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j261/panzer_jager/WIP3.jpg

jake rupert
02-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Very nice model.

According to the polesmoothing and retopo:

Wouldn`t it be also a good way to make the model a dynamesh at a very high resolution,
so you wont loose too much detail and get an evenly mesh and make a retopo at the end, when your highpolymodel is finished?

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2012, 03:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.