PDA

View Full Version : Facial Expressions

Russo
06-11-2002, 06:55 AM
the best way: Bones?

LucentDreams
06-11-2002, 07:08 AM
Used a lot of morph targets, now I would liket o experiment with bones as they have many advantages, but I can't say eithere is actually better. If you have never done it before gowith bones as it looks like the way to go nowadays.

Russo
06-11-2002, 09:13 AM
i've used bones... but I don't know... Iam trying Morpher now

LFShade
06-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Combinations of bones and morphing have worked well for me.

Nando
06-11-2002, 05:00 PM
Heres 2 links that have used morphs and bones together to get pretty good deformations.

their pretty old, but some folks still havent seen them

http://www.projectmessiah.com/x2/vids/messiah_carlfacebones.mpg

http://www.projectmessiah.com/x2/theatre/messiah_butch.mpg

Russo
06-13-2002, 03:26 AM
So... there is an order to get a fine character well done.
first step
1-modelling
2-texturing. UVmap and Unwrap
3-copy the mesh and deformate (generation of facial expressions)
4- skin
5-morpher

is that right? :cool:

LFShade
06-13-2002, 06:35 PM
Assuming 3dsmax, you should always add your morph modifier before skin/physique. You also skipped bones & rigging. Otherwise, your ordering is correct:)

Russo
06-13-2002, 07:46 PM
bones are included in my skin configuration step ;)

erikals
07-05-2002, 10:37 AM
The "Pro's" use both techniques. In Disney's "Dinosaurs" Morph targets were used, in Pixar's "Toy Story" Bones were used (from what i heard...). My suggestion is that you try out the technique that works best for you, maybe even a mix. What I like about morphing is that once you have made a morph target you can use it over and over. However, you will have to make new ones when you are missing for example a face expression. Don't know about now, but before using Morph targets could cause some of the polygons to "chrash" with each other, which made a weired effect.
I think morphing is more time-saving if your'e doing a big project... maybe... :curious:

Erik

LucentDreams
07-05-2002, 06:03 PM
One thing to point out is wiht bones many programs especially with basic NLE can take advantage of pre posed boens to sort of have facial targets of your bones setup. The advantage to this is it sort of works like morpha targets and the once you have animated in that fashion you can personalise things by tweaking the bones here and there.

dantea
07-07-2002, 03:17 AM
With bones, don't I still need to weight my geometry properly? Is it slower than using morph targets (in terms of playback) than morph targets?

dante

LucentDreams
07-07-2002, 06:24 AM
in terms of playback it can quite often be faster. All depends on the number of bones or the number of morph targets (and the way the morph targets are referenced.) Another advantage to morpher saveing in the PLA mode is it plays back super fast. As for bones yes you do need to weight or restrict to selections, juust like any bone rigging, but the cool thing if you look at some of the messiah examples of facial bones is that things like crooked smiles and such automatically. check out the PMG messiah site for more examples of bone animation and mixed systems too.

there was a good talk about this with some great examples in the character rigging section of CG talk too.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.