PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE - FBX support!

tjnyc
11-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Hi,

Like the subject header states I would love to see FBX supported in Messiah, for some of the following reasons;

1. One standard, one plugin to work on instead of one for every app.

2. FBX is supported by all the highend apps and by gaming engines.

3. Easier to switch mid-production from say CA in Maya, MAX, XSI and so on to doing it in Messiah.

4. Not only deformation animation data will be supported, but also hierarchical information as well.

5. Support for additional geometry types, like NURBS.

6. Lights and camera info which can be set in one app and utilized in all, so rendering could happen anywhere.

For greater inter-operability I believe that FBX is the way to go.
I know that there has been some consideration on pmG's part to look into it, but I would love to see it go on the top of the list as I believe it will greatly enhance Messiah's reach and allow the user-base a seamless means to operate with many different supported app in a pipeline.

On a side note, I would like to thank Lyle, and the pmG programmers and particularly Ron for his connection plugins for their work and their willingness to listen to their users. I wouldn't have brought this up if I didn't think they would.

Cheers,

Sil3
11-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Yes it should be awesome to have FBX format available in Messiah, problem is that FBX is not free to implement, every developer out there has to pay Kaydara for itīs implementation.

Fuzatron
11-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Just wanted to put in my vote with tjnyc for FBX support. I am not currently a messiah user. But if FBX support were added, I would be :)

Mahlon
11-17-2003, 02:43 PM
I'll put in my vote, too. Using motionbuilder right now with max ans fbx is great.

Mahlon Bouldin

Julez4001
11-17-2003, 04:50 PM
If FBX is costly, I can see PMG ignoring this avenue and coming up with their own.

lmilton
11-17-2003, 05:56 PM
Personally, I'd like to see an "open exchange format" established that isn't owned by any one company. Overall, that's just better for the community because it's not tied to the state of a company, and new software (commercial & otherwise) can support the standard freely.

Having said that, I am doing some preliminary "info gathering" from Kaydara. At this stage, it is impossible to make any kind of promises or assessments, but we'll keep you posted on developments as they happen.

-lyle

ps: Julez, we may explore an alternative "open" exchange format at a later date.

tjnyc
11-18-2003, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the info Lyle. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Gwot
11-18-2003, 12:13 PM
I'm throwing down for messiah going their own route and adding a better connection to the major 3d apps. Motion Builder does this really well, there is no reason that messiah can't do it too. Plenty of room for both here. Besides that, once you have a good working pipeline between messiah and a host 3d app, there should be no reason you can't get to Motion Builder using the already existing fbx plugins.

tjnyc
11-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Gwot
Besides that, once you have a good working pipeline between messiah and a host 3d app, there should be no reason you can't get to Motion Builder using the already existing fbx plugins.

Actually, there is, it isn't a pipeline for animation as you can't go back into Messiah once you crossed into MB without destroy animation in one or the other, a host app is not a robust or effective means to exchanging animation data.

Following a standard like FBX or some other standard will make exchanging data seamless so you can work on animation on more than one app without harm to your data.

I would like to see a "open" standard, but for now FBX provides one of the best options for data exchange especially for animation on most of the professional apps.

Cheers,

IanBlackford
11-18-2003, 02:56 PM
hiya

i too feel that having a 'standard' file format would be superb. obviously if it were open source then that'd be great, but so far i have to go along with the majority here and say that if messiah had .fbx support then i think that would benefit many

on a side note...i understand kaydara own fbx but there is a beta version of fbx support in wings3d and i'm sure bjorn himself couldn't have afforded the 'royalties' [or whatever there called :wise::eek:] so how did that one come about? [i think i remember seeing michel posting here recently offering his help with the process for messiah...] i'd be very interested to hear [if anyone knows] how the wings version came about. was it pure demand from the wings3d community/users and kaydara have been very charitable? i'd appreciate any info :) thanks peeps

inanimate
monsieurblack

Gwot
11-18-2003, 04:01 PM
I support a push for fbx too... I just would rather see a better host connection than what there is now, and I feel it's more important to tackle first. I'd bet that there is a much larger potential user base for messiah if a better host connection existed with their 3d app of choice. Not everyone uses MB. However, it's much easier to send things back and forth between MB and LW (which is why I use it). I'd like to see this for messiah as well. Yes, it's more work, but it's worth it.

lmilton
11-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by monsieurblack
on a side note...i understand kaydara own fbx but there is a beta version of fbx support in wings3d and i'm sure bjorn himself couldn't have afforded the 'royalties' [or whatever there called :wise::eek:] so how did that one come about? [i think i remember seeing michel posting here recently offering his help with the process for messiah...] i'd be very interested to hear [if anyone knows] how the wings version came about. was it pure demand from the wings3d community/users and kaydara have been very charitable? i'd appreciate any info :) thanks peeps

Only those companies that wish to support FBX in commercial apps have to pay the licensing fee. That info is straight from Kaydara.

Since Wings3D is free, no fee. But I'm told that *all* who want to support FBX still need to register with Kaydara.

I wonder if there is a fee if a (free) plugin developer decided to create an FBX exporter...

-lyle

lmilton
11-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Gwot
I support a push for fbx too... I just would rather see a better host connection than what there is now, and I feel it's more important to tackle first. I'd bet that there is a much larger potential user base for messiah if a better host connection existed with their 3d app of choice. Not everyone uses MB. However, it's much easier to send things back and forth between MB and LW (which is why I use it). I'd like to see this for messiah as well. Yes, it's more work, but it's worth it.

We have no intention, whatsoever, of abandoning our *live* connection to host apps. In fact, we have plans to enhance it in later versions.

There are so many things that a live connection can to that importing/exporting cannot. The downside is that it's much more difficult since it requires that host apps "behave" and provide the necessary access. Even so, functionality & stability can be increased by working directly with the community on the connections, and by extension, this would require us to publish our HOST API. Workin' on it;)

But since your post implies that the current connection is... less than adequate, can you tell me exactly what *you* think is wrong and what can be improved?

I'd really appreciated your feedback...

-lyle

IanBlackford
11-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by lmilton
...I wonder if there is a fee if a (free) plugin developer decided to create an FBX exporter...

-lyle
hhhmmm...

indeed lyle, indeed ;) [me wonders...]

[come on you clever plugin developers working for free... *nudge* *nudge* ;) lol]

Originally posted by lmilton
Only those companies that wish to support FBX in commercial apps have to pay the licensing fee. That info is straight from Kaydara.

Since Wings3D is free, no fee. But I'm told that *all* who want to support FBX still need to register with Kaydara....
ah ha

thanks for clearing that up for me, much appreciated :cool: i assumed it must have been something along those lines, i just wasn't too sure what exactly, and now i do! :D he he

thanks again lyle, extremely helpful as always
monsieurblack

tjnyc
11-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Yeah, having the HOST API becoming available is a great plan. I look forward too working with it.:)

Jonathan
11-22-2003, 04:03 PM
I really don't understand why such a need for .FBX support. I can see it from a flexiblity point of view but beyond that someone has to explain it to me in lamens.

Geco
11-23-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Jonathan
I really don't understand why such a need for .FBX support. I can see it from a flexiblity point of view but beyond that someone has to explain it to me in lamens.
i don't need it too, at least actually.
but it could contribute to expand the messiah community. http://tinyurl.com/ud4k

http://tinyurl.com/uiqz

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.