PDA

View Full Version : Mapping 2D shape onto 3D object using UV coordinates

adam-b
02-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Hi all,
i'm writing here because I haven't seen any mention of anything like that anywhere, which means that there probably is no tool to do what i want.

The challenge is this:
I am trying to project splines/shapes onto an existing object. Instead of using "traditional" methods like planar or cylindrical projection, I want to project just like a texture via unwrapped UV coordinates.

Maybe i'm wrong and there's a simple plugin for max or any other program. Please enlighten me :)

Currently i am working with max and Rhino + grasshopper...i figured grasshopper would be a good way to start, so I'll put my money there for now.

I would be greatful for any advice or pointers.

Cheers!

AJ1
02-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Photoshop CS4 has a tool where you could bring in your obj with UVs.

You make a new document, import your uv'd obj as a 3D layer, and then hit K (i think) to rotate your model around. You can draw vector graphics on top of that, and then use the merge down key (crl e on windows i believe), and it will rasterize and project your vector art.

(this might be a better thread for the texuring forum)

adam-b
02-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Hi,
first, thanks for your response.

Sorry, I believe I haven't described my situation correctly.
My goal is to obtain a 3D spline structure.

Input: UV unwrapped object + 2D splines
Output: Splines 'mapped' to the objects surface, but still splines, so i can manipulate them further in 3D.

If it's still unclear i'd be happy to provide a sketch to illustrate.. :)

Cheers!

Edit: thats why i'm in the Dev Forum ^^

AJ1
02-13-2012, 03:01 AM
XSI has a neat feature called Shrink Wrap. You can deform a flat curve around a poly surface in a very similar fashion than what I think your describing.

ThE_JacO
02-13-2012, 06:55 AM
This forum is to discuss development, not to request it of third parties.

If you're after implementing such a thing yourself, please be a little bit more precise about what you're having problems with (the maths part, the implementation part, if the latter what APIs are involved and so on).

If it's the latter then I'm afraid I'll have to close this thread, and suggest you relocate the question to the app you are using in the specific, or if there's no such sub-forum, to the general discipline (most likely modelling) this is pertinent to.

Cheers,
Raff

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2012, 06:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.