PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Stop-motion with CG effects

HenningK
11-17-2003, 10:34 AM
http://students.mcad.edu/~hkoczy/media/UTStitle.jpg
So I made this stop-motion animation, but I planned for a lot of CG effects to go in after I was done. Its called "Under the Sun" and its a pretty surreal 3 minutes. My goal was to make the computer effects as [seamless, transparent, inconspicuous, integrated] generally non-computery as possible. Please please tell me if I was successful or not and if you liked the production. As always, critique the snot out of it.
Thanks to my mirror-people. :love:

Download these guys:
My Domain (DivX, 26 mb) (http://www.henningk.com/media/wiremanWeb_divx.avi)
My domain (mp4, 8.8 MB) (http://www.henningk.com/media/wiremanWeb_lo.mp4)
MCAD server, Divx (26 mb) (http://students.mcad.edu/~hkoczy/media/wiremanWeb_divx.avi)
MCAD server, mp4 (8.1 mb) (http://students.mcad.edu/~hkoczy/media/wiremanWeb_lo.mp4)
Nostradamus' Mirror (Divx) (http://www.coolart.dk/stuff/wiremanWeb_divx.avi)

A word on the Special Effects (DivX, 2mb) (http://www.henningk.com/media/wiremanSFX.avi)

Thanks,
love,hen

Ac0rN
11-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Hey , very nice , I liked it :applause: , could'nt really se what was cg and whats not , tho I get that the cat and the man was stop motion ;)

Very Nice work :thumbsup:

rlph.
11-17-2003, 11:56 AM
:thumbsup: wow, that was something fresh! Very well done Hen! I really liked the atmosphere of the whole thing and the visual look. It must have taken quite a while to do it, right?

Aaw, and the cat...purrr purrr.... :applause:

Nelis
11-17-2003, 01:28 PM
very very very very very woooohooooo coool.

the cat is so sweeeeeet and the man is very good too. like the simplicity of the landscape. good job.

how long did it take you to shoot it and maybey some xeplenations on how you did some of the shots like with the lighting when the sun falls down....

would like to hear more about it....

in my opinion front page stuff

Entropia
11-17-2003, 08:44 PM
It wasn't what I expected but I liked it anyway :)

Very unique, original style. I noticed that the sun and water were CG.

- Entropia

HenningK
11-18-2003, 01:03 AM
Thanks so much everybody. It means quite a lot to me that we can appreciate different kinds of animation here. Nelis, thanks especially for your endorsement. The actual shooting of it took 3 months of school. Then I thought I'd just comp in the CG in a week or so. I was wrong about that.
For the sun falling down, to get the shadow to change, I had a light off-camera on a stand which I lowered to ground level according to marks I made on the wall.... you know, stop-motion... one mark at a time for 80 frames or so. The rest of the lighting and glows and stuff were just animated overlays in AfterEffects. I have this movie explaining the special effects pretty well. I guess I'll put it up for ya.
In the original storyboard I was gonna have the sun fall on the kitty, but decided against it. Purrr..
Thanks so much. love,hen

HenningK
11-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Here (http://students.mcad.edu/~hkoczy/media/wiremanSFX.avi) is that bonus features, behind-the-scenes, mega-special look at the CG effects, if you'd like.
For you Nelis.
love,hen

rlph.
11-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Thanks Hen! That explained a lot of things I was wondering about your animation. Cheers!

I still can't believe this animation has gotten so few comments and so little attention! Where is all the fanboys when you need them?

:D

Nelis
11-18-2003, 12:50 PM
that huge/major behind-the-scenes movie is wicked......:eek:

looks absolutely stunning.... like the whole concept of the movie and how you done it is even more stunning.

have you painted out the (how you call it in english, iron holding thing......damn cant get to it:surprised) nice job on that....

one more question though. you seem to have used some motionblurr from the shot before he throws the stone and to the top shot...... how the heck youve done that...looks smooth and cool.

great job. inspires me to do some stop motion myself......

greets niels

rightbrainleft
11-18-2003, 05:32 PM
Thanks for making a beautiful and surreal piece. Very interesting camera turn when he grabs the rock. I'm not sure what the smoking thing was, was it a puddle evaporating?
Anyodd, good work. Definately a good change of pace 'round here.

Kirt
11-18-2003, 08:52 PM
I really liked this short. Excellent stop motion and blending of the CG elements. I couldn't really tell which parts were CG, which means you pulled off a seamless merging of the elements.

Hope you're bandwidth holds up. [plugged]

Great job :applause:

Nelis
11-18-2003, 08:56 PM
yes finally youre plugged..... took a while for they saw it.....

congrats dude

My Fault
11-18-2003, 09:03 PM
Ok, I've watched this 3 times and the idea of critiquing still hasn't entered my mind. This was positively beautiful! The way you combined the stop mo with cg effects was masterful. The story was very simple but often the best stories are.

So any more info on the making of this? Timeframe, etc.

If I had ten thumbs, they would all be pointing up. So often I am depressed at the quality of animation hollywood is producing. Stuff like this and Jojo reaffirm that there are still some talented people out there who know what they are doing with the medium.... and that makes me very happy.

:beer:

urgaffel
11-18-2003, 09:13 PM
I'm downloading both movies at about 8Kb/s each, I'll be back when I've finished dl:ing. From the response you got, it sounds really good :)

Joel Hooks
11-18-2003, 10:06 PM
don't download both at once :< save some bandwidth for the rest of us!

urgaffel
11-18-2003, 10:13 PM
The sfx movie finished real fast, but the animation itself has started crawling along at 2kb/s... I think we need a mirror or two...

MikeRhone
11-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Singing in a Michael Jackson voice:

"Im looking for a man with a mirror...
im asking for more than 2 k..."

M

Windex
11-18-2003, 11:11 PM
hey nice job
i bet those 3 months were pretty LONG

anyhow, i first have to apologize, plz don't take this the wrong way:

Was Thelvin Cabezas' Poor Bogo an influence?
i'm sorry if it wasn't, i just saw a couple of things the animations had in common "the eyes and the water..." maybe most characters made of wires have THOSE type of eyes, excuse my lack of knowlege.
later

i'll edit/delete this comment if you think this was an insult, sorry
just say the word

Vushvush
11-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Windex,

Hennings production and character were started before Poor Bogo was released.

HenningK
11-18-2003, 11:24 PM
Sorry, Urgl. The problem must be that Im using my school's server and all the students are using it at certain times. I just signed up for a REAL domain host, it was time anyway, so, um, soon? How do I go about getting a mirror? I think I know what they are... do I just need to know someone?
Thanks Rlph, entropia, Nelis, rightbrain, my fault. Nelis: yes the pliers were painted out frame by frame in Photoshop; N, Rightbrain: yes the camera movement around the time he picks up the stone is motion blurred, also frame by frame in Photoshop.
MyFault, I stretched the production, unnecessarily, over 8 months.... about 4 months of actual work. It was shot on a 3-chip DV camera into Premiere. I used Maya 4.5 for the stone and the tumbling fall, 3DS MAX 3.1 for the sun and the stars and the crown. And AfterEffects for all the compositing/retiming. Your praise makes me forget about all of that, though. Anything else? I Thank you so much.
Windex. Hmm. Wow! I had to go back and check when i downloaded Bogo, I thought you had something there for a minute. Like unconsciously... maybe, but no. I was done shooting everything 2 months before I first saw Bogo. Then I saw it in July and 2 months later, did all the special effects.
love,hen
love,hen

Nostradamus
11-18-2003, 11:29 PM
I'll host it if you can somehow get it to me, cause i cant get any of the vids from the links...

do you have irc? if so then i am on QUakenet #noks (name Juleniles|Nos)

my mail is Simon@coolart.dk if you have anyother idea

cheers

Kirt
11-19-2003, 12:33 AM
HenningK - you might want to copy the mirror links to your initial post so that people don't have to search the thread to find them.

Nostradamus
11-19-2003, 01:30 AM
wow....ill be damned

some nice intigration of the CG....very nic indeed!

http://www.coolart.dk/stuff/wiremanWeb_divx.avi

if anyone else is having probs! :)

visualboo
11-19-2003, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the mirrors guys

charithmax
11-19-2003, 02:36 AM
cool! thats really nice work!:thumbsup:

go on man!:beer:

emptyvoxel
11-19-2003, 02:39 AM
This is an amazing piece of work. Fantastically surreal and beautiful, from your style to your choice of imagery to the music. An absolutely immersive and engaging piece.

Two thumbs up! (though they are both my thumbs)

-T

HenningK
11-19-2003, 03:12 AM
Props to my mirror-people, Kirt and Nostradamus. I edited the thread start. You guys rule.
-hen

phoenix
11-19-2003, 03:27 AM
simply flawless....

Lawrence
11-19-2003, 05:51 AM
Nice job Hen.
Animation in all of it's forms should be embraced here.
Especially work that strives to create a good sense of mood
and tone. There's nothing like stop motion and thank god for
Nick Park, Henry Selick, Tim Burton, and all those who get it.
Looking forward to your next piece.

- Lawrence.

sevenfingers
11-19-2003, 06:39 AM
This just moved me. A+.

scottiedoo
11-19-2003, 08:12 AM
simply amazing.. the story was excellent and the stop motion was very good and nicely stylized.

The cg fit well into the story and really it brought two different techniques together wonderfully.

Keep up the excellent work and hope it brings you success

:-)

abie1
11-19-2003, 10:12 AM
Good job on animating the cat's tail too. Most people (me) stay away from cats for that exact same reason, that stupid tail has to be moving like forever or else it looks cheesy. You pulled it off pretty nicely though; I loved the style overall as well; almost like something I could've dreamnt like when I was six or something; the text was also appropriate. Good job; :applause: :thumbsup:

mimo8
11-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Very poetic ... not only the scenes have a very nice, warm ambient, also the animation is really good in timing and expression. the purring cat is a great addon - only the making of is a good idea but the resolution is too small and wacky to compare

which school are you?

Theta-Dot
11-19-2003, 11:49 AM
hey HenningK nice animation and everything but 'here come the warm jets' was mine first ;-)

Morganism
11-19-2003, 03:50 PM
Nice to see some good stop motion on these boards. Good work!

ChrisHale
11-19-2003, 05:02 PM
Loved it, very calming with good pacing.

HenningK
11-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks again everybody, for your amazing shouts out. I am ecstatic. [which is a big deal.. for me.] heh.
-Phoenix; simply flawless.... I could point out quite a few flaws, but I'll go on letting you think that.
-Lawrence: Animation in all of it's forms should be embraced here.
well, I dunno, I only posted 'cause this had something to do with CG. Agree with you on the heroic quality of those you mentioned. I especially am inspired by Park and Aardman. But stop-motion isn't my main deal or anything.
-abie: Im glad to hear you interpreted it as a child's dream.
-theta: damnation. good call though.
-mimo: Minneapolis College of Art and Design is my school. Yes, we have an animation major out here. For their protection I won't go into what I think of the program. Right, Vushvush?
love,hen

Vushvush
11-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Minneapolis College of Art and Design rules man!

... As long as you are willing to look a little further than what is directly fed to you! ...

As is obvious from your piece, and from some of the others. Great to see this one posted here finally, reminds me to finish mine ;P

Kirt
11-20-2003, 09:38 AM
HenningK - I'm going to have to take down my mirrors. As suspected, my site got overloaded and now I'm without. :(

It was worth it though. I hope several people got a chance to see you short film. One last time ... "good stuff!" :thumbsup:

HenningK
11-21-2003, 09:48 AM
You're the man Kirt. Thanks for the support.
Due to the traffic this post has caused my school has decided to reconfigure their servers, spend some money, and set aside bandwidth for this sort of thing. yay! Thanks for your help everybody. There should be no more problems downloading it.
blah,hen

MajinPunisher
11-21-2003, 09:18 PM
This short is just great.

I really like the armature you built for the character, and I'm interested in maybe what type of wire you used. I work in stop motion for class a lot as well.

I need a good idea of good supplies for which to build everything for stop motion animation.

-Andy

facial
11-23-2003, 08:35 AM
Very nice clip. really impress. i love this work.
:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.