PDA

View Full Version : Basic modeling problems (smoothing edges)

vroom
11-17-2003, 09:11 AM
I'm new both to modeling and this board. So first of all, hi erverybody!

I'm using Cinema4D, but I guess this is a general modeling problem:

I'm modeling a shipping container. The edges are still to to sharp. Right now, it looks like this:

http://www.duochrome.de/cgt/sharp.jpg

In whatever way I try to bevel or smooth the edges, I always end up with something like this:

http://www.duochrome.de/cgt/beveled.jpg

The thing is that the faces are shaded wrong. The geometry is correct, but still some parellel and planar faces look like they are positioned at an angle.

What am I doing wrong here? How to get those edges (minimally) rounded?

cbctech
11-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Chamfer maybe?

vroom
11-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Yes, I've tried that. Chamfer, bevel... thing is, the result is correct from the geometric side - I can verify that from the wireframe in the editor.

But it's shaded wrong, both in the editor and in the renderer.

BazC
11-17-2003, 09:24 PM
I'm new to Cinema so you may get much better answers than this LOL!

I had a quick play with this and found that reassigning UV co-ordinates seems to sort it out. Delete your material and UVCoordinate tag from your object. Then replace your mat and with the mat selected click generate UVCoordinate in the texture menu in the Object manager.

Cinema seems to interpret UVs differently to other apps and I've had a few problems with it (I'm using CE, newer versions may be better) For instance I had a model which I imported as an obj from another app. The texture was seriously messed up. Almost every poly had the texture at a different angle or scale or severely stretched in U or V. It rendered without any texture problems in Lightwave and Bryce so I thought it was Cinemas famous .obj import problems (it rearranges the vert order) so I tried remapping it in UVMapper and imported it again as an .obj file and it was fine! I begin to imagine why it was okay in Lightwave and Bryce but not Cinema :o(

Anyway, hope this helps! - Baz

vroom
11-18-2003, 08:02 AM
Not the exact solution, but the right direction :)

It's not the UVW Tag - but it shows correctly when deleting the "Phong smooth" tag. Now the corners aren't smooth anymore, but I'll keep experimenting... Thanks!

Ibox
11-18-2003, 02:29 PM
...don't forget that when you smooth there will be area influences which will also play a part in determining radius of curve in the smooth... it appears the the edge is smoothing to different extents because of the diiferent area influence's created by all this different geom in this local area... I dunno, but that's my take...

CritterCre8r
11-22-2003, 06:00 PM
I think to start with, you have some extra edges in the box right near the corner area. I am a max user, so I would target weld the vertecies of the extra faces to the nearest one to eliminate the edges. Also, remove edge tool in edit poly mode. Then you should chamfer the single corner vertex to make a 4sided polygon on the corner, then chamfer the crate edges to smooth them out. Max also allows a tool called smoothing groups. I think 4D has something similar. It smooths the lighting of the faces together in a group. Hope that helps.

sb

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.