PDA

View Full Version : what you feeling ?

Saeed
11-17-2003, 09:44 AM
http://www5.domaindlx.com/kalhor/image/SunsetSmall.jpg

Click Me To Big Size 1920x1080 (http://www5.domaindlx.com/kalhor/image/SunsetBig.jpg)

yes,what you feeling when you see this image?
this is not a jesting.I am serious.
i was posting this image on other forum and some people on that
forum have similar emotion with me.
in easier case: What reminds this for you?

please help me to know i'm going in right way to visualize my fantasies or not.
Many thanks.

excuse me for my poor english.

dobermunk
11-17-2003, 11:45 AM
Eyes squint. Hands reach for sunglasses....
Damn, left 'em in the office.

Right now I think its great eye candy, but its missing any element that would invite me to search for interpretations or details. ie. smoke spewing from some a point in the distance, something in that darker triangle on the right.
The composition is very static / solid. Doesn't seem to point me anywhere in particular.

Saeed
11-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by dobermunk
The composition is very static / solid. Doesn't seem to point me anywhere in particular.

Hi dobermunk.
nice to see you here.
Static / Solid half of my goal.
but don't search for anywhere in real world.
just remember from books,films... anything you seen before.

[ ah, a good time to appreciation. Thanks to you for your good informations in your tutorials. :) ]

gtidhar
11-17-2003, 12:57 PM
It reminds me of mount doom from the Lord of the rings.

And it looks nice!

dobermunk
11-17-2003, 01:25 PM
http://www.stickman.de/content/temp/SunsetComment.jpg

Saeed, glad to hear they've helped!

Don't misinterpret this as suggesting you need a tech-civilization direction here ;-)
I did a quick paint-over to show what I mean with detail - could as easily be a herd of elephants or scattered rock formations.
Right now you've got a great image. If I were to stumble upin this scene I would immediately want to photograph it. But it is missing depth in the sense of things that would be there and tell a story.
Does it rain here? Does anything live in that water? Things that are evident in a real-world photograph and are missing in this image.

Your lighting is wonderful. That haze is wonderful. Surfacing is also great. Just the detailing is too clean and ultimately empty.

Bingo Little
11-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Salom Kalhor aqa! Hal-e shoma chetoure? Kar-e shoma heili hub ast! And this is all I can squeeze out of my Persian :D

On the criticism side, in general making really good water is really hard. Yours is quite close, but it sill looks too much as a sort of quicksilver, or heavy water, or liquid concrete. The reason is the complete absence of waves near the rock/water contact surface. So if you can add displacement at these "border" areas, you'll get a much more convincing image.

BTW, what package is that?

All the best,
Bingo Little

Saeed
11-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by gtidhar
It reminds me of mount doom from the Lord of the rings.

And it looks nice!

hah, you feel it.
i was haven't any goal to make this image similar to Lord of the rings scenes when i'm starting to make it.
after completing it, when my father seen it said to me " this is a part of Lord of the rings ?".
after that i'm post it into this forum http://www.terradreams.de/gallery/details.php?image_id=1193
and people said this is reminds Lord of the rings for them.

and my goal : making an image which when people see it act in this way ( stoping, good looking, search in brain to find similar view for it ).
this scene is empty.just think about when you going into similar land.you are alone.you see bald rocks and some water.it's mysterious land. you'll feel coldness.you'll fearing.you looking around to find somethings."ah what a light far as me,i going there ".
and the Lord of the rings have similar purpose as this
rescue the world from Darkness and degeneration into lightness and entity.

To dobermunk:
you are absolutely right.
this not tell any story.it just transfer an emotion.
thanks for your wise comment.

Bingo Little:
in persian ( salam bingo kochikeh,chetory,damaghet chagheh,sheitoon onvara chikar mikony.khosh migzareh? )

i'm used Terragen for it.

again, excuse me for my poor english.
damn, i can't explain my mind exactly :(

dobermunk
11-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Persian reads like Elvish!!!
Cool!

igorsandman
11-17-2003, 07:08 PM
I was about to say the same thing about LotR. What I feel when I look at your picture is peace and serenity and.. like if I was missing something. I know it's on purpose, but the composition is a bit too empty, in my point of view. You should add stuffs like rocks elmerging in the middle of the picture maybe. It's realy a nice work, but it lacks something. A bit more work and it will be fine.
Keep up.
-IS-

Drakaran
11-19-2003, 10:21 AM
yeah.. well people are ego-centric and if you are looking to involve them in a picture/scene you create, you need to add elements they can relate to: a boat, house, beach towel, etc. something to make em feel like they are involved or would like to be invovled in the scene. it's one of hte problems with proggies like terragen is they make really beautiful BUT sterile scenes. what I'd suggest is going in (since I don't think terragen will generate such things) with a paint program and compositing something(s) into the scene. boat would be kinda hard unless you are willing to do a LOT of work with the waves, but at least some reference people can relate to/feel something about.

From a crit PoV, I'd say the pic is heavy on the right side, the bank of yellow rock creates a lot of busy focus with nothing being there and then there is nothing to balance on the left.. basically everything is leading off the right edge with nothing to focus on. the light from the sun is too strong and central pushing the eye (again) to the focus off the right side of the pic.

the golden color adds a nice moody feeling of sunrise/early day but it's confused by the cloud. the scene is just too bright for it to be there.

I would shift the whole pic left, move the PoV so only a little of that golden rock shows and put some focus on the right side of the pic where the eye is being drawn to.

bigbad
11-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Well It reminded me of the movie Pitch Black.
The sun was very strong on that movie.

If I was in that picture I would probably have hard time breathing. The atmoshere seems to be hostile but the water seems to ruin that feeling. The water is "just there" someway.

northern-raven
11-20-2003, 06:42 PM
The first sensation to hit me was one of quiet awe. People usually feel that way when they are watching the sun rise through the haze on the horizon.

I appretiate the zen like quality of the composition. The rock is lifeless, and the light is bright and sterile. Despite the water, the environment gives the impression that the air would be dry and hot. The silence, I imagine would be deafening blanket...

I get the impression that one is meant to feel small - traveling through a vast cathedral of vigilant stone. To enhance the idea of granduer, you could add a small flock of birds up near the top. This would help bring the rocky faces in to perspective.

Another small perspective device could be to add some tiny object on the boulder in the foreground. A lone plant struggling to grow through the unyeilding surface for instance.

Overall, this is a very lovely composition. Thanks for sharing it!

chalkeye
11-22-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Saeed rescue the world from Darkness and degeneration into lightness and entity.

sorry dude, but i got the opposite. it was a wee bit too bright, made me want to get into the shade, away from the bright light.

Man
11-22-2003, 06:23 PM
it looks nice

i feel peaceful.....remembered one timw when i traveled with my father:)

sad
11-24-2003, 02:45 AM
well, i donīt feel that much when i look at the picture. yes, it is very bright and glaring.

it lacks an element which lets the viewer notice how big the rocks are. are they huge or just average.

you could enhance the feel of the picture by just one object. for example a chair. the size of it will make the picture evocating strong feelings.
a little wooden chair might stand for 'being lost but not feeling bad with that'.
a lovely throne of a neat fairytale might stand for 'get outta the sun, i must see my kingdom'.
a wheelchair might say 'this is the end but it is beautyful'.

you can make a very emotional piece with that.

Nik Clark
12-01-2003, 07:58 PM
It makes me think "What's going to happen here?" as if something large is about to happen. Perhaps I'm paranoid!
I love terragen.

ps, your sig is highly familiar :o)

Saeed
12-26-2003, 11:33 AM
hi frinds. :)
sorry for late.my connection closed for some days.
thanks for all your wise comments.
i'll make some changes in it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.