PDA

View Full Version : tarnished silver

qqsadwee
06-11-2002, 04:58 AM
is what I am aiming for. Can you suggest what I can to to improve this?

qqsadwee
06-11-2002, 05:06 AM
this is the texture map

leigh
06-11-2002, 10:00 AM
Well, at the moment, it looks like your colour map is ok :thumbsup: But what you need to do now is work with your specularity/reflection and diffuse.

What software are you using, firstly? I'm asking this because different software's surface editors work differently.

Now - adjust your specularity - make it higher. Even when silver is tarnished, it's still shiny in parts. But make a copy of your map there and stick it in your spec channel - that way the "dirty" bits won't be shiny. Adjust your gloss amount until the hotspots look ok.

Then, copy that same image from the spec channel to the reflection channel. But tarnished silver generally doesn't have a very strong reflection, so just play with the overall ref setting until it looks right. If your software supports soft/blurred reflections, use them too. Silver, especially when it is old, tends to have very blurred/fuzzy reflections.

Something else to consider is that silver is almost always completely covered in very very very fine scratches. These scratches are often even shiner that the surrounding areas, so you might want to make a bump map for that (on a plate like this the scratches would probably be circular, going around and around the plate, spiralling towards the centre.) But remember - these scratches are extremely fine, so you if you make the bump map in Photoshop, you are going to have to use a very big image! This would obviously also affect all thress of these channels. It would probably also affect the colour channel - where the scratches have scratched through the tarnished areas, the cleaner, untarnished metal will be showing through.

If your surface editor has proper diffuse (if you are using Max, you can only have this option in a raytrace material), then invert the image from your spec channel and place it in the diffuse channel, with an overall diffuse setting of about 80%.

Another thing you might want to add is bloom. Bloom is an effect that produces extremely strong hotspots that glow - it looks very cool on metal. Just don't overdo it.

qqsadwee
06-11-2002, 01:31 PM
Hi Leigh, thankyou for your detailed response.

Believe it or not I am already using a bump map. The source bitmap is 1000x1000. I only posted a smaller copy here to save space. The best I could do to get the small wirery scratches you refer to was to create some speckles with a low opacity brush, then smudge them. But the effect does not seem to show up much.

Unfortunately the software I am using, POVray, does not support mapping for specularity or diffuse. These attributes must be assigned globally. It may be time to upgrade software.

-Jim

leigh
06-11-2002, 01:35 PM
:cry: That sucks!! Yeah maybe it's time for a software upgrade.
I know that Lightwave, Max, Maya and Softimage all have downloadable demos, so you should check them out and consider which is the best option...
If your software is holding you back, change it!! There's nothing worse than the frustration and stagnation of being limited by your software :annoyed:

(pssst I recommend Lightwave ;))

qqsadwee
06-11-2002, 04:46 PM
Leigh, I saw you meantion Uvmapper in one of your posts. Do you use it much? What is your opinion of its capabilities?

leigh
06-11-2002, 04:53 PM
I don't use UVmapper (it's a Max-only plugin, I think)- I use only the UV unwrapping tools in Lightwave. I find these are more than enough for my UV requirements :)

qqsadwee
06-11-2002, 05:47 PM
I was surprised to see you mention UVmapper. It is more common to those of us in the freeware world. So I had to ask. Basically I was wondering if I could take your instructions based on Lightwave behavior and follow them using Uvmapper to unwrap mesh.

It's probably redundant to do this since I don't immediately have the software capabilities for texture mapping that you are used to, but attached is an example of my picture further along. While the grape textures are procedural, the stem textures are Uvmapped color maps. Again I would welcome any observations you could make.

-Jim

leigh
06-14-2002, 11:38 AM
The basic UV techniques I use are pretty much universal, and can be applied in any software, I'm sure :)
Well, the stems are looking cool :thumbsup:
The grapes, however, are lacking in richness. Although your colours are almost right - I see you've tried to make that whitish colour grapes often get on them when they've been out in the sun, what is needs is some work on the spec/ref channels - make them look a bit wetter, for starters.
Also, if your software can do it, use translucency! Grapes are very translucent, and this would really help to make them look richer. Also a touch of diffusion would work some wonders ;)

qqsadwee
06-14-2002, 05:15 PM
Yes I think "richness" is exactly the thing. I am experimenting with Maya in the hope of doing some specular mapping. I have been able to import my meshes ok, but the learning curve promises to be steep!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.