PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted Forest - 2DEnvironment/Character - Gamoron

Gamoron
06-11-2002, 03:39 AM
Well, I figured this was a good excuse to get back to using pen and paper. And Oh what a feeling! No vertices, no splines! NO STRESS! I've got to spend more time on my 3D, so I thought I'd start posting 2D. I've come to realize that the only way for me to progress is t get criticism, so bring on the bad, but please give some good too. These are characters I created a few years back that I realized I could bring out for this. Burden is the boy and Eidiff is the hulking gorilla like creature.

Hope you like it.

Gamoron
06-11-2002, 03:46 AM
I may as well post a question here too. How did everyone get a picture under their name????!!:D

Tommy Lee
06-11-2002, 04:20 AM
Hi Gamoron!

Like ya picture till now. Nice scene, compositting is good.
More to say when the sketch grows to a cleaned up one.

To ya question about the avatar(Pic under name):

Go to Profile,... "edit options,.... move down to "avatar" and then "change avatar"... There are the instructions and rules for uploading the pic. It has to be not bigger then 100x100 pixels.

Wait for more to come:thumbsup:

Cheerz

Tommy Lee:twisted:

PS: U are also a spiral-luving dastard, huh...lol!!!!:beer:

Gamoron
06-11-2002, 05:08 AM
Thanks a lot for the info Tommy Lee.:buttrock:
Now I feel a little more like an individual.:beer:

Merci beaucoup!

Tommy Lee
06-11-2002, 06:09 AM
Yeah..hehe...nice avatar!:thumbsup:

Renderedbrian
06-11-2002, 12:11 PM
Hee Hee Hee Gamoron! Thats why i have started 2D art too, no worrying about UV Mapping, polygon counts...

2D is cheaper too, pencils & paper, and there you go!!! :bounce:

Nice sketch, looking forward to seeing some colour added!

-
brian

Gamoron
06-11-2002, 02:00 PM
Thanks Tommy Lee. How's Motley Crue? Have you gotten that one yet?

Thanks Renderedbrian.

I should have colour blocked in tonight.

Cheers!:bounce:

Gamoron
06-11-2002, 03:06 PM
Here's my image with updated colour. This is blocked in. I've got to do some thinking on Enchanted Forest, so far this looks like a regular forest with a couple of glowing flowers and big dude and regular kid.

Hmmmmmmm......................

Renderedbrian
06-11-2002, 03:09 PM
Looking good! :thumbsup:

-
brian

Kirt
06-11-2002, 03:55 PM
Wow Gamoron! Very nice start you have here. Welcome to the challenge. Even though you have a late start, I think you're further along than I am at this point. hehehheeh.

I really have nothing to critique at this point. Nice colors and composition! Keep going with it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tommy Lee
06-11-2002, 05:29 PM
I think the forest is enchanted and a nice coloring-start.:thumbsup:

Gamoron
06-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Here's an update.

Gamoron
06-11-2002, 08:09 PM
This image has the Hue/Saturation and Brightness/Contrast tweaked. I'm looking for a dreamier look and I think this may be closer to it. What do you guys think?

Tommy Lee
06-11-2002, 08:43 PM
Gamoron,

I think the first one is better. The second one is to hard-edged.
For me, the first one has a dreamier look.

But thats my kind of seeing things.

Keep goin:thumbsup:

Tommy Lee

MonkeyBoy
06-11-2002, 09:38 PM
The Bright blue in the second version is quite nice: sorta like Chagall stained glass windows. If you like that vrsion possibly try to keep the other colours muted, and only saturate the blue...? Anyway, your chars are really nice and clearly enchanted - you don't need to add fairies everywhere.

Nice one dude.

For eg:
http://www.domni.com/Chicago2/ChagallWindow.jpg
http://www.gen.umn.edu/faculty_staff/yahnke/glass/cruc-1h.jpg

Kirt
06-11-2002, 09:54 PM
:eek: The second one for sure! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My opinion is that one looks complete. Nothing more to add there! Stellar and impressive work! I think you definately got the enchantment part right.

Do you have a background in traditional animation? Your illustration has that quality about it. I really like it!

Gamoron
06-12-2002, 03:15 PM
Thanks Monkeyboy and Kirt. I think I'm gonna use the foreground from the original and mix it with the latter. They both appeal to me. Then I'll add some more detailing to the grass.
I was at Sheridan College for one year for Art Fundamentals and planned to go into Classical Animation. I was to Rowdy in the Residence and was kicked out before I could finish the year. C'est la vie.:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :buttrock:

Renderedbrian
06-12-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Gamoron
Here's an update.

I prefered the first image, this one is too bright in my opinion.

-
brian

Gamoron
06-12-2002, 06:10 PM
Here's my update. A combination of teh two that I think I was aiming for. I think now I'll do some work to Burden, and then I might be done.:hmm:

Gamoron
06-12-2002, 06:11 PM
Critiques very welcome.

Gamoron
06-12-2002, 06:17 PM
What is a good resolution to be working at. This image is 450 dpi, and my pixels are 9384 by 4950. Am I working to big? What if I wanted to print this out to a poster?:surprised

Tommy Lee
06-12-2002, 06:34 PM
I like it very much now.
Just the lightnig on the kids hands should be white, because his big dude glowing in a white color.

And what size uare using!?:eek:

My Pic is just 2000 wide and 1000 high with 72 dpi.
Normaly when u will print a poster do it in halfsize and resize it in the end. Use max. 300 dpi, because the most Copyshop printers are using max to 250 dpi.

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

Gamoron
06-12-2002, 08:12 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks Tommy.

I'm a dummy. I'm gonna shrik this down. Speed things up a lot, fer sure.

I didn't even think of the white reflection, and will be doing something about it pronto.

Thanks again

:beer:

Tommy Lee
06-12-2002, 10:04 PM
No prob dude:beer:

Renderedbrian
06-13-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Gamoron
What is a good resolution to be working at. This image is 450 dpi, and my pixels are 9384 by 4950. Am I working to big? What if I wanted to print this out to a poster?:surprised

9384 by 4950?

Jings, thats absolutely *huge*...

:eek:

-
brian

OZ
06-17-2002, 07:17 AM
Great style!:thumbsup: ............u rox!

Gamoron
06-18-2002, 09:10 PM
This is I think the last update. I didn't change too much, I couldn't bring myself to detail it up to much. Maybe it's because of the mouse I gotta get one of those tablets!
Anyway... does anyone think it needs something more?:shrug:

Gamoron
06-18-2002, 09:10 PM
Oh... Thank you Oz, I appreciate it.:thumbsup:

Tommy Lee
06-19-2002, 05:30 AM
Great. Big compliment to ya. Specially for the "mousework".:applause:

I think there are details as much as there should be.Dont overload it!!!
Also a great composition. Clear Focus!
Itīs also a complete different style to all the others.

Man, you make the voting harder than it was till now too.
:thumbsup:

Till Judgementday;)

Tommy Lee

PS: Sorry for my poor english.:rolleyes:

MonkeyBoy
06-19-2002, 05:38 AM
Yes I agree: you're done. Looks great. Have a well deserved beer.

Are you going to use these chars further? They look like they have some thought behind them.

Sangotten
06-19-2002, 08:49 AM
I love it!!!

It reminds me of little nemo's travel, a young boy going to dreamland. I like the style and the big creature looks cool, maybe just a bit more detail..

Keep it coming!!!:thumbsup:

Gamoron
06-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Arrgh! I just posted a reply to you Tommy and to you Monkey bone and it said I used to many images! AAAArraRRARUUUUARRAGHHHHH!:argh:

Anyway I said Thanks Tommy, your style is great and I hope you can transfer it into your 3D stuff. It'd be wicked! Also your english is better then my german. It is german right? I only know shiza, and I don't even think I spelt it right, but I say it pretty often.
I'm not a fan of the USA team but I hope they beat Germany. My sister-in-law and brother are american.
:thumbsup:

Monkeyboy. Thanks. I'm gonna have that beer tomorrow, it's my girlfriend's b-day. Then I'm gonna have another and another, then I'm gonna watch England slaughter Brasil, at 2 am sometime and have another! Yee haw!:beer:
But yeah I'll be developing these guys further. The style is deceiving though, cause the story I've got written up has some pretty tragic and odd moments for a modern fairy tale.
Cheers,:thumbsup:

Gamoron
06-19-2002, 02:40 PM
thanks Sangotten. Nice website, the anime characters look great. As for little Nemo, I was trying to go back a bit in style to earlier last century. I saw the anime Metropolis a few months ago and was completely blown away and left hollow. I realized modern methods mixed with old styles looks incredible. If you guys haven't seen it yet watch Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis, it's brilliant.
Sangotten those are the most imaginative trees I've seen in the whole of the cgtalk site!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

LucentDreams
06-30-2002, 02:45 AM
very cool, nice use of lighting and the colour. The character designs are beautiful too, love your gallery stuff too, keep up the great work

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.