PDA

View Full Version : Underwater/Atlantis painting

GFaught
02-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Hey guys,
I recently completed this mattepainting for a short competition between a few friends. I'd love some feedback on it from you all.
Here is a link to the video:

http://vimeo.com/36388364

Thanks!

everlite
02-09-2012, 11:15 PM
The composition works well for me. My main issue is the god rays, personally i feel these are two strong and the foreground fish are a little distracting; mainly because they don't feel completely integrated into the environment.

I'd definitely add some more highlights to the foreground rocks. The mid and background rocks, left and right don't feel like they're under water, it feels like i'm looking at a landscape that's been graded with an underwater filter.

Take a look at some references, you probably wouldn't be able to see distant rock features and if you could they would be very feint silhouettes and heavily diffused.

It would also be nice to project the foreground layer onto geometry and have the camera push in a little more.

Would be nice to see the painting without the compositing / animated layers.

Dave.

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2012, 11:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.