PDA

View Full Version : Denmark - Animation Workshop experiences?

Doreo
02-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi,

I live in Denmark and heard about the Animation Workshop in Viborg, I read a few comments about it that said it was good but does anyone know any reviews about it? or even better, did anyone go there?

Is it good? Is it worth going there?

I know, I know... It's better to study at home instead of going to a university, but for me going to a university would be better.

Thanks!
:)

thematt
02-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm not or have been a student there, but I work in a reputated school in France and we have very good realtionship this the animation workshop, I'm sure old student could talk about it better, but it is really a great school, with great teacher and great environnement for studying, now go to Vimeo and check out their students work, some of the best out there I can tell you.

cheers

Doreo
02-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I checked their student work and it looks amazing! The only thing is that the last university I checked published only the top student work so everyone would think that the school is perfect. (VFS)

The Animation Workshop is pretty much one of my only choices and I will first go learn Classical Art to get some experience in art first.

Can I ask which school you work for?

Thanks, and have a good night!

csmallfield
02-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Hey Doreo,

I can vouch for this school being awesome. Their curriculum is really well designed and I am completely jealous of their program. The way it is organized is something like this...

Each class, has an overall supervisor that guides them through the lessons. Each lesson is taught by a professional in the industry, 2-4 weeks per lesson. So for example they have a character design class, then a character modeling class, then a character rigging class, animating, rendering lighting etc.

For the last two years I have taught rendering, lighting and comping on one of the character projects and I'll be going back to teach it again in March. If you are already in Denmark, I strongly recommend going to check it out.

I went to the Savannah College of Art and Design and while the program was great and the technology as well, I think I would have enjoyed and benefitted more from the program that they have at Animation Workshop. I have a blast every time I'm there.

Let me know if you have other questions.

-Chris

Doreo
02-09-2012, 02:55 PM
That sounds great! :D :bounce: Thanks!

Because I don't have a lot of art experience I'll go to the Classical Drawing semester courses first to get the foundations and work on the portfolio (which as I'm sure you know, asks you for a lot of things!)

Hopefully a year would be enough for me to complete it and then I'd hopefully be able to continue to the Character Animation course.

I think that's a good plan :applause:

csmallfield
02-09-2012, 04:32 PM
The drawing course is incredible too, I've been thinking of taking 6 months off and doing it myself to bring my drawing skills up a level or two.

Doreo
02-09-2012, 04:50 PM
The drawing course is incredible too, I've been thinking of taking 6 months off and doing it myself to bring my drawing skills up a level or two.

Yea I love it how what you get taught depends entirely on your level! If half a year won't be enough for me I'll probably consider taking another semester! But hopefully one semester would be enough for me to produce a portfolio for the Animation course.

The thing is that they teach Classical Drawing, and so what I can get from it is knowledge of how to do the Perspective, Life Drawings and maybe Freestyle categories in the portfolio. I hope that half a year would be enough because then from December to mid-March I'd be able to work on the Drama and Movement categories (since they don't teach how to draw animation/cartoon characters and stuff like that in the Classical Drawing course).

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2012, 04:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.