PDA

View Full Version : Animation: 3min short

jeandenis
11-17-2003, 03:39 AM
Hi everybody,

I did this animation short when I graduated last May, but I actually never posted it on forums for feedback.

If anybody has time to take a look at it, just go to:

Autumn Thieves (http://www.jeandenis.net/thieves.htm)

Thanks
Cheers
Jean-Denis

Gremlin
11-17-2003, 03:49 AM
I like the part when he crawls on his toes and fingers like a cartoon, that was quality.

however, the blue dude needed to win... he shouldn't died, that was so tragic!! the little brown dudes are assholes! :argh:

but I liked it all in all... plus I love that song Autumn Leaves (good play on words with the title) but I really think you should redo it (since you've probably gotten better) and this time make the blue guy win! :D
Cheers,
:beer:

jeandenis
11-17-2003, 03:52 AM
Duuude, you're the first to get the Autumn Leaves wordplay!

Thanks for the quick feedback.
I don't think I will change it, but I understand what you mean :)

Cheers
Jean-Denis

ghosty
11-17-2003, 04:37 AM
man, this is very good, the story is funny. I love it. but hate to see the thief lost at the end after he went through so much trouble.

I would give a 9/10 for the work. :thumbsup:

mattmos
11-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Very nice animation dude. Timing was pretty sweet, story well conceived, render quality wasn't too hot but it made me laugh! Have to agree with Gremlin about the ending though ;)

Frenkie
11-17-2003, 04:07 PM
hey!really cude story!
maybe you should make the anim with higher,more detailed characters,and scenes,and it will be better!

jeandenis
11-17-2003, 06:23 PM
I think next year I have more time to revisit the animation. Would be sweet indeed to go back and make the backgrounds and characters more detailed.

So far the feedback has been good, so I am really thinking about it.

Thanks guys
Cheers
Jean-Denis

StevenR
11-17-2003, 06:40 PM
Excellent work. I wasn't quite sure what he made the claw-hand out of, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment of the animation.

More complex modeling and texturing would be very cool. Keep up the good work :)

Volker
11-17-2003, 06:53 PM
Jean-Davis, this is a great little piece. Lots of charm and character. There is one moment that really stuck out that I thought could be pushed a bit further. When the robot rounds the corner and almost hits the guard, and sneaks back? I think you could really play up the sneak back a ton more. Really exagerate it and make him tip toe away. That's it, thanks for sharing this.

~Zach

IanBrightNZ
11-17-2003, 10:47 PM
Loved it, totally loved it! Keep it coming I say :beer:

jeandenis
11-17-2003, 10:52 PM
Thanks guys for all the feedback! :thumbsup:

Hey Babyhopper: good point, will look into it.
Your avatar, that's the character you used recently, right? Posted it on cgchar? Sweet animation, can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks again
Jean-Denis

1001 JediNights
11-18-2003, 12:27 AM
This is proof that you don't need to have multi-million dollar special effects to create something worth watching. This was very amusing, and very simple!

Good work.

inaktive
11-18-2003, 06:11 AM
really really liked it... great job, good character animation

jeandenis
11-18-2003, 06:36 AM
Wow, I didn't expect so many kind words, thanks everybody.

jeandenis
11-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Who thinks that I need to add sound effects to it?

Or is the music enough?

Thanks guys
Jean-Denis

mattmos
11-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Sounds effects would definitely add some value to your piece - it helps to emphasise impacts, movement, events. Try it out, I think you will want to keep them if you do...

BigSky
11-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Loved it.

The blue losing is the best thing. LOL when he crawled on his tounge...it's a great story principle...his shortcomings take him right down to the end (have you seen pixar short Knick Knack? The humor is in the tragedy (come to think of it...Hamlet?)
I think you got it just right...
There are some priceless moments when he sees more lazers appearing...you so captured the "hmm..that makes it interesting" vibe.
Some of the best storytelling I've seen in ages.

:thumbsup:

Thekkur
11-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Great movie! you should'nt change the plot, it's indeed the tragedy that makes it so hilarious! The guy sneaking away on his tongue was my favourite part.

One comment: I don't think the music matches the movie. There isn't any tension in it. It's like a like a stream of water slowly gurgling through an autumn landscape, and this doesn't suit the style of the short.

If you're gonna redo it, make sure it's more clear what he's doing with his arm... Sound effects can be nice, indeed, but don't overdo them!

jeandenis
11-21-2003, 07:05 PM
I had two jazz tracks and both have stuff in sync with the action of the animation. One was faster and temp wise probably more suitable than the one that I use now, but this one had even more stuff in sync and I actually like that the music is more laid back, contrasting the action.

Thekkur: which part with the arm?

Any more thoughts about sound?

Thanks again for the compliments :bounce:

Cheers
Jean-Denis

Gremlin
11-22-2003, 12:45 AM
It was painfully obvious what he was doing with his arm to me.

he,
1. cut it off, and made a claw out of some of his wires (cause hes a robot)
2. he used his cut off hand as extra arm length
3. he used his eye ball as a weight, do not offset the weight-sensor on the ruby thing...

very straightforward to me. :hmm:
I think the music is very fitting for such a tragedy, but I dont think the blue guy should've lost. That's just not okay, he seemed so rightous, so justified... maybe cause you modeled him to look like a good/nice guy, and the little brown guys as little mean bastards.

lol, anywho, I live in oakland... are you training @ academy of art college? I'm interested.... this is my last year of highschool, almost time to find a cg school :D

Cheers,
:beer:

The_Magician
11-22-2003, 05:05 AM
HAHA!!!! That was GREAT! I love it!

Sound effects would be cool, but would also be very hard, finding the perfect sounds always is.

I loved it man, great work! :applause:

jeandenis
11-22-2003, 07:30 PM
The_Magician: thanks for the compliments. With comments like that you forget all the long hours in front of the computer.

Gremlin: I graduated last May from the Academy, now I am taking one class for "personal enrichment". I actually have a hard time finding a job, so I took an animation class again (awesome class, with teachers from Pixar).
The Academy's animation curriculum got a lot better, now they have top classes taught by ILM and Pixar guys, and they are very inspiring and know a crapload of animation. Worth every penny.

Cheers
Jean-Denis

ironist
11-26-2003, 02:13 AM
good

jeandenis
11-26-2003, 05:59 AM
thanks

Mikademius
11-26-2003, 07:03 AM
Why are surprised over the massive, good feedback? You deserve it
I had a blast watching the short over and over and over again.
I recall getting pissed off when I realized the blue dude wasn't gonna make it
'cause he worked so hard for it. And the tounge idea... Have you seen this elsewhere?
If not, you ARE a genious!

jeandenis
11-26-2003, 07:17 AM
Thanks MIkademious. You know, sometimes you look at something so many times you don't know if it's funny or working anymore. It's really rewarding to get so much positive feedback.

I love the tongue. No, I didn't copy it from somewhere else, but if you think about it, a few movies have it in it (like John Carpenter's The Thing, etc.).

The thing is: that robot I am using is from school. When you do exercises you get 2 models, Hogan and Milt (now we actually got a third one, Bob). Now and then you get updates of the model and one of the updates of Hogan had a tongue. A TONGUE?! So sweet, I just had to animate the tongue. If you look closely at one of the first shots where Hogan walks/sneaks along a wall, his tongue is out too.
I knew that the guy was going to get cut up, so when I started to work on the scene where the head gets cut, I immediatly knew that this tongue pulling scenes had to be in it. It was begging for it :)

Actually, if you want to know more about the short, just go to

Description site (http://www.jeandenis.net/Thieves.htm)

Cheers
Jean-Denis

HenningK
11-26-2003, 08:38 AM
Yess! Couldn't agree more with the sentiments of 1001 and Mik. Genuis! and some of the best character animation Ive ever seen is on your website. My personal favorite shot was the two security guards staring WTF? when robot went all macguyver. I was kinda depressed cos I just watched that huge, dumb RFonline trailer but then I came here.
love,hen

jeandenis
11-28-2003, 08:46 PM
:)

Thanks Hen!

jeandenis
11-29-2003, 09:53 PM
:bounce:

Hey guys,

I wanted to start a little guestbook and/or compile all the comments people left about my "Autumn Thieves" short.

If someone doesn't want to be quoted, just let me know at

animate@jeandenis.net

Cheers
Jean-Denis

DeepGreenJungle
11-30-2003, 12:19 AM
Great animation quality, and gesture, but I felt the pacing of your story was much too slow. It started great, but when he gets to the lasers, it starts to crawl. Originally, I was thinking I would have preferred a guy in a black jumpsuit to a robot, but seeing the end where he pulls the wires out of his arm, I see why you needed that.

jeandenis
11-30-2003, 06:44 AM
Hey DeepGreenJungle,

you are actually the first one to point out the pacing of the short, good to hear that.

About the robot, we were given these two models, so no guy in a black jumpsuit, sorry. But in a way that would have been the typical character to choose too, so I am glad we had to stick with the two models.

But good to hear other input. :beer:

Thanks and cheers
Jean-Denis

jeandenis
11-30-2003, 06:38 PM

Don't forget, if you want to know more about it, just go to:

Info page (http://www.jeandenis.net/thieves.htm)

SheepFactory
11-30-2003, 08:39 PM
Hey jean ,

that was a pretty funny anim , good to see hogan doing something other than kicking balls :)

Plugged on the front page

Do you still go to the academy or did you graduate already?

Ali.

jeandenis
11-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Hey Ali,

thanks for the compliments! I can imagine that recruiters are getting tired of old Hogan and Milt :)

It's great that they plugged me on the front page too, crazy!

Thanks CGtalk :bowdown:

I graduated this May and sent out a few tapes, but nothing yet. I had two chances with big companies, but I didn't have my work permit yet, so that got screwed :cry:

But I am taking another Pixar animation class this fall semester at the AAC. It's crunch time now, but the animations are looking sweet so far, now I need to really polish them.

What about you? You know Robin right? Therefore Wes, John and Jeep too?

Take care
Jean-Denis

SheepFactory
11-30-2003, 09:09 PM
yeah i plugged you :) well deserved.

I am taking pixar 1 with robin this semester , hopefully taking the second one next semester. Are you in pixar 2?

Do you hang out at the 3th floor at all? Hope to see you at school.

Ali

jeandenis
11-30-2003, 09:13 PM
You were the one?

Ohhhmmm :bowdown: :bowdown:

I am taking Pixar 2 with Scott & Angus. We will see each other on Tuesdays :beer:

Thanks again for the plug.
See you later
Jean-Denis

SheepFactory
11-30-2003, 09:14 PM
ah cool man , I am like next class to you :)

i'll see you this tuesday!

Ali

jeandenis
11-30-2003, 09:15 PM
Dude, Robin's egg stealing Hogan was INSANELY sweet!

SheepFactory
11-30-2003, 09:28 PM
totally :)

too bad i cant get her to post it here , she thinks its not good enough :shrug:

AJ
11-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Trying to escape using his tongue - genius!

Very nice work - although I must agree that the pacing is a little slow. But then it made me laugh so I don't suppose anything else matters! :D

jeandenis
11-30-2003, 09:32 PM
WHAT?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can't believe that. It's really really good. Hmm... I'll tell her too.

____

Thanks AJ. I can imagine that the music makes it feel slow. I used another piece for a while, which was probably a lot better pacing wise, but it had less moments which were in sync with the animation.

b.Schulz
11-30-2003, 09:50 PM
Hey Jean-Denis, Seen you around cgchar as well. Stuff looks good. Hey you know Alan S. right? He used to teach there at the Academy. He spoke of you a few times, he's a friend of mine...i just graduated from the academy actually...i think you were in my pixar 3 class?? You did the short with the old lady and the cat right?? I was doing the one with the plant. Anyways, props to you, you got some great poses in there. Keep it up.

TheDarkKnight
11-30-2003, 09:53 PM
Hui, i like it very much. The story is realy nice and the blue guy is totally crazy :) especialy the last part with his tongue :applause:

Many people say that the scene is not very high detailed but i think all together is realy nice. The musik is great a good choice for the movie, the animation is very good and the charakters are so nice :)

Like it very much, hope you get a job at a company. Good Luck and best wishes from me. :wavey:

*edit* I visited your website and watch the other animations. There are so great and so funny, i laughed so much :oD
Especially "ZeChair" it is absolutely brilliant. I hope you get a job at a company, you have a great talent.

Hexodam
11-30-2003, 10:08 PM
ofcorse this could be better, but that would only be nit picking

on its own its great, no crits, I realy enjoyed it a simple story well told

John Keates
11-30-2003, 10:12 PM
Realy fantastic animation and story. Kept me watching all the way through. It had some classic Pink-Panther style comedy in there. I love the music (big fan of Miles) and I think that it suits the whole style (maybe it is what made me think of P-P), but you could do with a few sound effects I think.

I would love to see it done with more attention to rendering and less of the polygon tessalation.

You will do well I am sure. What are people thinking not hiring you?

[EDIT]. I just looked at some of the other animations on your site. Priceless stuff! Some of the best animation that I have seen.

in your sofa
12-01-2003, 12:16 AM
I think that the sound effects arent needed for the animation, because the rigging, animation, style, and humor itself make up for it. Great JOB!!:beer:

santosLord
12-01-2003, 02:42 AM
Hi Jeandenis, I was wondering what school you are attending for the PIXAR classes? How long are the programs? Are there any prerequisites for attending these classes? Great job on the animation by the way. Sucks to hear that you got screwed on a job over a work visa. Well things happen for a reason. Take it easy my friend. Good luck.

phoenix
12-01-2003, 02:57 AM
awsome work man...:thumbsup:

really stylish

chaplin
12-01-2003, 03:26 AM
woho!! another exellent movie -- you have to let me save this on my computer. This is just great. Love the ideas and the movements -- the soundtrack and everything in between.

:buttrock:

froggyplat
12-01-2003, 03:41 AM
very cute and very enjoyable. i laughed a lot at those security gaurds. excellent work! i love good shorts done in simple styles.

couple things i think would push this into excellence:
1) working out the sound design a bit more. i love the music, but i think some ambient noise and sound fx would balance it out better..put the ST in the backgroud.
2) on the part where the gaurd cranks up the juice on the lasers and the robot falls apart. i think you could push that a lot further. the animation was very good, i just felt that it should be faster and his reaction more extreme...just my own 'comedic' expectation.

thanks for sharing:) you're doing some great work!

jeandenis
12-01-2003, 06:35 AM
Holy crap! Gone for half a day and so many comments and page hits! Crazy!

Thanks again Ali for the plug!

b.Schulz: Of course I know Alan, I did "Autumn Thieves" for his class
:)

I remember your plant story, very funny! I never saw it finished, do you have a website with the animation on it?

TheDarkKnight: thanks for the compliments! I like "ZeChair" a lot too. It's one of my first animation clips, had a lot of fun doing it.

Hexodam: Thanks
:thumbsup:

John: I am a big fan of Pink Panther too. I am learning sound design right now, so at one point I will add sound fx to the animation.

in your sofa: I think it works okay without sound, but I like sound a lot, so as I said I will test a few subtle fx, just to see if it works.

phoenix & chaplin: thanks! :bounce:
Can't you save the quicktime? Should work.

froggyplat: thanks for the crit, appreciate it.

lord_rms: I went to the Academy of Art College in San Francisco. They have Certificate Programs, Bachelor's, Master's, etc. So it can last between 2 or 5 years. Bachelor can be done under 4 years if you take more than 4 classes a semester. You have to be enrolled in a programm in order to take the Pixar classes and hand in a demoreel for evaluation.

Thanks again guys for all the great compliments :beer:

Cheers
Jean-Denis

belly80naz
12-01-2003, 07:52 AM
Beautiful animation, story and feeling, but I hate the music. I suggest you to try to use some old disney's film soundtracks.

MrSolo
12-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi Jean-Denis,

Nice to see you here too! :thumbsup:

I am a BIG fan of your work!!!!

Really Good Animation!!!! As usual!

Best for you! :beer:

Cya.

marchermann
12-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Sound, why does everyone want sound? ;) I watched the short without sound (sometimes I'm too lazy to turn my stereo on) and it I didn't miss it. Clearly a sign of great animation and good storytelling.

Don't spend too much time on detailed characters and backgorunds but give us more animations instead;) Apart from the animation I particularly liked some of the camera angles and the editing. :thumbsup:

Marc

John Keates
12-01-2003, 01:58 PM
Oh yes, you say on your website that you always listen to music when you animate. I am teaching myself animation so I don't know - is this usual? Richard Williams says to never listen to music.

b.Schulz
12-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Jean-Denis. Naw, not yet...i'm working on a site at the moment actually...i'm pretty clueless when it comes to making a website and i'm doing it all by myself but it's almost there...trying to learn flash while doing it. I hope to get it up soon....like within a month.

John K. - I also listen to music when i animate...at least most of the time...it helps me not get distracted by other noises around me...maybe that's just personal...but when i'm animating and i'm into it...i don't even hear the music. I don't remember if i listened to a lot of music when i was just learning though...can't remember. I think listening to music is a personal opinion...do whatever makes you work better.

Stratobrain
12-01-2003, 03:49 PM
page doesn't work anymore? ("Could not open the page “http://www.jeandenis.net/” ...")

wanna see it too

jeandenis
12-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Stratobrain: I just tried all the links, they work and the movies will open too.

I post the link here again just in case:

Autumn Thieves (http://www.jeandenis.net/thieves.htm)

belly80naz: sorry about the music, but if something stays, then it's the music. ;)

MrSolo: good to see you here, thanks for the compliments :thumbsup:

marcboy: glad you liked the editing and camera angles. First comment about these points :thumbsup:

John: I know a lot of animators who listen to music while animating. Not that I don't enjoy animating, but when it is all quiet it's boring. So I listen to music, or have movies playing in the background. Except when I animate to dialogue.

b.Schulz: cool, let me know when it is done!

cloudSurfer
12-01-2003, 05:06 PM
I don't post here very often because I don't have the experience of ( I feel ) giving legitmate feedback. I had to with yours tho' Monsieur Haas because of how well you've animated a living thinking and (re)acting character. Basically, I am happy you made this piece, to me, particularly because I try and study and learn from other not only good animators but artists and directors too.

Impresssed ,

aspiring-animator/artist

jeandenis
12-01-2003, 06:50 PM
wow, so much praise cloudSurfer.

Thanks a lot :bowdown:

Stratobrain
12-01-2003, 07:54 PM
Oh, it works perfectly now. Sorry, musta been me, or something inbetween.

Great animations on your page!! :bounce:

jeandenis
12-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Good to hear it works again. My bandwidth should be big enough, I hope it was your problem (don't mean to be rude:) )

Glad you liked it!

jerr3d
12-01-2003, 08:42 PM
Very clever and funny! Love the expression on the guards face when he tries ti get past the yellow gate!

b.Schulz
12-01-2003, 08:47 PM
alex..i mean stratobrain...your avatar is too crazy...hahahah...

John Lee
12-01-2003, 10:20 PM
LOL sweet man thats was very cool. You got some nice idea's in there! Good reel to show animation the part i like the best was when he was over to the door thats very natrual. Very nice simple story as well. THe bit where the gaurds are laughing also is very funny. Also when they stare into space. THats very good. nice and subtle :)

Keep up the good woek :)

jeandenis
12-01-2003, 11:06 PM
Hey John, good to see you here too.

Thanks for feedback!

Jean-Denis

colintheys
12-01-2003, 11:46 PM
Excellent work. A few nitpicky comments like I thought he crawled across the floor too quickly and without enough warning (but that might just be my poor gamma). Original and well-animated!

jeandenis
12-02-2003, 07:26 AM
Colintheys: hmmm... too quickly, I could see that.

But without warning, that's on purpose. :cool:

jeandenis
12-02-2003, 04:31 PM
I wanted to thank everybody again for their compliments and feedback!

I am still toying with the idea of fixing the anim, or to do a prequel/sequel (maybe the guards and the thief knew eachother, or maybe a great escape).

Cheers
Jean-Denis

jeandenis
12-04-2003, 07:48 AM
Crazy, I am even on cgtalk Russia.

snowrvn
12-04-2003, 09:48 AM
hey jean,

absolutely great animation! i love your style as well, its snappy. oh and i didn't realise you were the one who created that 10sec club "flash your badge" animation.

omg do you know how many times i watched it on loop? :P i was so impressed with the way you gave life to jack nicolson's sargent character!

thanks to you i've learnt several things already just from watching. keep it up and good luck with your job opportunities!

:P forgot to add my thought, i think the story evolves well as it is at the moment but, if you add sound i think it'll be even better :thumbsup:

jeandenis
12-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Thanks snowrvn!

Glad you liked the "flash your badge" too.

Whenever I watch the movie, I cringe when that dialogue part comes up. I just heard it too many times.

Cheers

Jean-Denis

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.