PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Demoreel

acgraham
11-17-2003, 02:08 AM
I posted this show reel in the “artists looking for work” category, but I also decided to post it here since I wanted a few more people to look at it and see what they think.

The show reel is an edited down version of all my animation work. All my 3D work has been done in MAX.

The 20Mb QuickTime 6 format show reel can be viewed here -

http://www.lgcsolutions.com/~rantage/queg/portfolio/design/showreel.html

http://opax.swin.edu.au/~4021673/showreel.jpg

Dave Black
11-18-2003, 03:24 PM
I somehow feel as though the pics you have posted don't reflect the quality of this reel, and am thinking that's why you have'nt gotten any replies yet.

First off, I must say I'm impressed. Very impressed. That reel shows just about every skill an artist/designer in your field could need.

My first impression was not that good, though. While I'm guessing that opening shot took the longest time to create, it does'nt reflect the quality of the rest of the reel. I'm not saying that the shot is not good, but the lighting is a bit on the flat side. You have alot of cars in your scenes, but they seem too saturated and out of place with the scene's lighting. Later on when the walls start changing color, and the furnature changes, is when the shot begins to become interesting.

Most all of the shots following the intro scene are stellar. The archetectural concept work is a bit too flatly lit for my personal taste, ie, the lighting technique reminds me of cutting edge 6 years ago. You have alot of photo clipart of people, trees, and objects that don't match with the non-photo background. Other than that, the pacing, flow, and camera moves of those shots are awsome.

The watch scene at the very end and the festival shots are my favs. The scene with the racecar is well animated, but I again feel the car is not photoreal enough to fit on some of the shots.

Honestly, overall though, it's a fine reel. I'd hire you. You have a great sense of design and color, as well as a nice grip on timing and motion. You started on a pretty good note, and ended on a great one.

Good job, and best of luck!

-3DZ

acgraham
11-19-2003, 12:38 AM
Thanks very much. the beginning of the Subaru presentation does look a little flat, i agree. the aim of the project was to show a transformation of a current "dull" showroom and transform it into a brand new beautiful one.

the car is pretty flawed too in its materials, it was my first model and one of my first animations. I also had a slow machine so i couldn't render decent reflections and a lot of lighting too easily.

if anyone wants to see each sequence in more detail, you can goto my site -

http://www.lgcsolutions.com/~rantage/queg/portfolio/portfolio.html

and click on the design/motion section.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.