PDA

View Full Version : Applying single effectors per bone

Stoehr
11-16-2003, 08:17 PM
Is there a more efficient method of assigning a specific effector to a single bone? At this point in time, I'm assigning a single Meta-effector per bone, as opposed to a single effector.
The reason for using a single meta-effector per bone, was to keep the chain links solid. I'm also using "direct weights" on the bone deformer, instead of Factored Weights.

check this project file to see my use of Meta-effectors.
http://www.theladyandthelion.com/forumPosts/chain.mpj

lmilton
11-17-2003, 06:36 PM
I just checked out the scene. Looks cool:)

You've handled it properly. You can't assign single effectors as weights; they are components of a MetaEffector "toolbox". Meaning, every effecter in a MetaEffector toolbox is used to determine the actual weight value.

It's effective & efficient & consistent, but I realize that it can clutter the Item list. After we build in the new "hide items" replacement, this will be less of a problem.

BTW, if you want to speed your workflow, it's probably a good idea to create a script/command to create weight tools with one click. Here's a quick pseudocode:

---------------------------------------------------------
bone_obj = current object
if bone_obj not an actually a bone, return
if bone_obj already has a weight, return

metaeffector = create tool
assign metaeffector to bone_obj weight (use BoneWeightSet)

effector = create tool
position effector over the bone_obj
---------------------------------------------------------

If you're capable of writing plugins, you could even do a good deal more than that to make it easier.

Please let me know if this info is helpful.

-lyle

Stoehr
11-18-2003, 12:36 AM
Thanks Lyle! I thought I was appraoching the problem properly, but I was suspicious of other possiblities.

As far as scripting is concerned: I'm learning. I know I'll be doing a lot of weight-per-bone to make "stiff" bodies, so a script would be best. I'll research it further. I'm not a complete beginner to scripting, just new to Messiah. I've been reading the docs, and watching how others have made their scripts or plugins. I even downloaded a compiler for C/C++. So It'll be slow going, but I'll get there.

Thanks for the info in the right direction.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.