PDA

View Full Version : Rendering with Mental Ray? How to make sun illuminate room.

MarkNarwahlberg
02-02-2012, 06:38 AM
I've been trying to render a room where the sunlight floods the room and illuminates it, so all natural lighting. I followed this tutorial,

Tutorial I followed (http://www.floze.org/2008/07/six-tuts-on-light-and-shade-part-i.html)

but it hasn't provided the results I was hoping for. My scene is just really dark, is there anyway to brighten it up? Changing the sun intensity etc? Thanks.

Photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50130125@N08/6805597939)

THExDUKE
02-02-2012, 07:02 AM
It looks like your camera is missing the connections to the physical sky and the exposure node.

Select your camera and go to the mental ray tab. Copy and paste the connections from e.g. the default persp - cam and it should fix your problem.

Edit: If this did solve it, then be awere, that when ever you create a camera AFTER creating physical sun and sky, it will miss those connections. You have to update your cam manually.

MarkNarwahlberg
02-02-2012, 07:06 AM
It looks like your camera is missing the connections to the physical sky and the exposure node.

Select your camera and go to the mental ray tab. Copy and paste the connections from e.g. the default persp - cam and it should fix your problem.

Edit: If this did solve it, then be awere, that when ever you create a camera AFTER creating physical sun and sky, it will miss those connections. You have to update your cam manually.

I may be doing this wrong but when I look under the mental ray tab all i see is mia_physicalsky1 and mia_exposure_simple1. I just selected the camera and then went to attributes. What am I missing here?

THExDUKE
02-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Hmmm....hard to tell then without seeing your settings.

oracio
02-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Turn on FG ;)

Edit: Final Gather is turned on by default when you add Physical Sun and Sky, but maybe you mistakenly turned it off.

Just a guess from the look of your image...

Leionaaad
02-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Are you using mr portal lights? You have to, and also make sure they are pointing inwards and they are checked as "visible". Looks like that is the problem. i am only guessing though

MarkNarwahlberg
02-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Are you using mr portal lights? You have to, and also make sure they are pointing inwards and they are checked as "visible". Looks like that is the problem. i am only guessing though

I was only using the sun that was created when I selected physical sun and sky. I'll try portal lights and see what I can do with that.

And final gathering is on so I'm not sure what the deal was there.

Leionaaad
02-02-2012, 10:08 PM
your window is very small compared to the room. The guy with the tutorial could do it, because he had a huge exit on the roof. You can't light your room with sun&sky without portal lights, there won't be enough rays coming from the outside. Even so, you may have to use the multiplier in the portal light parameters.

Is it working?

MarkNarwahlberg
02-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Sorry I hadn't had a chance to try it until now. It seems to be working better so I'll keep working on it and see how it goes.

solaesthetic
02-06-2012, 10:44 AM
I've experienced this
Sometimes the portal light connections don't set up properly for no apparent reason. Try deleting them and remake them with forgetting to update the camera connections.

Rule 1. Mental Ray for Maya doesn't always work properly.
Rule 2. No 3D software works properly.
Rule 3. Operating systems don't work properly.

accept these rules and and breath deeply

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2012, 10:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.