PDA

View Full Version : Rendering background [lush look] low polys?

tiaka
02-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi there
I am trying to do a 180 degree sweep and zoom in on a model bird house that I have modeled in maya. I have tried to use vue 10 xstream for the terrain and atmosphere and plants. Trouble is the scene alone is 45 million polys. It would take me an eternity to render a 1000 frames. I am wanting to make a lush garden background with lots of plants and mountains, also atmosphere. Does anybody know of an inexpensive way (lower poly count) to make a lush garden scene? Does not necessary have to have mental ray. Do I need to use differnt software other than vue or is it best to try and take live camera footage of a garden scene and use that as a backdrop? I have a amd phenom II X6 110T 3.30 GHz cpu. Any ideas on the best approach would be much appreiated.

THExDUKE
02-02-2012, 08:09 AM
You could try mip_binaryproxy. You would only need one main mesh and then you create simple placeholders and the mip_binaryproxy replaces those during rendering. Take a look on this famous and fabulous thread here. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=804892)
I think it consists of the best information about this issue ive seen. Its long, but worth reading it. A lot of secrets are in there and its really pointing it out!

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2012, 08:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.