PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lighting this Scene

IconicDrei
02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
I have modelled (real world size) and textured a Building set in London, am and now ready to start producing some Renders from various areas within it. However, as the main part of the Building is fairly large, I'm finding it difficult to get enough light in to make the Scene interesting and realistic.

I've attached some images below which should help explain the current Light setup that I have experimented with, and have included a test Render which shows my Problems. I have setup a Daylight System with various Skyportals along the front Window of the Room. This is obviously not working at all and seems to be giving the Scene a slight tint on what are predominantly white Shaders and Materials.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

http://www.andreishah.co.uk/images/scene_explain01.JPG

http://www.andreishah.co.uk/images/scene_explain02.jpg

Darkmalan
02-02-2012, 07:48 PM
I think you should try using the mental ray photographic exposure that can be found within the environment panel. This will allow you to set up the camera properties such as ISO and Fstop which are important for realistic exposure control.

From the scrreenshots youve posted it looks like the sun is hitting the side of the wall furthest from the camera? This will mean that the only light that is entering the building is indirect lighting which will make the image dull and even darker. Try moving the sun so that some direct light hits inside the building.

IconicDrei
02-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

I've played around with the Photographic Exposure and have already had quite significant results! I also re-positioned the Sunlight as best I could, without de-syncronising it with the lighting conditions of the background.

Just wanted to ask another question, how would I go about getting a tiny bit of Colour bleed from the background image into the render? Is there a way to do it without HDRI?

Cheers.

rt
02-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Huuum…also, is the glass shader letting light in?

Darkmalan
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I doubt there is really a way to do it without a HDRI. HDRI would definately be your best bet here. What I would do is use a HDRI that had a similar daytime lighting to the image you want to use and then just add the image you are currently using in post production. This should give you a good result.

Glad my other feedback worked. How about posting your updated renders up? It would give people more of an idea of how to give you direction to get the result you are looking for

CHRiTTeR
02-04-2012, 05:44 PM
You seem to have no shadows at all...

I dont see how HDRI has anything to do with this.

How does it look if you remove the light portals?

IconicDrei
02-05-2012, 08:58 AM
This is what I've managed to come up with so far.

http://www.andreishah.co.uk/images/Render_Image_V01.JPG

I have a few more angles that I want to experiment with, I'm also thinking of doing some sort of Camera Animation around the place.

Once again, appreciate the help, thanks.

kanooshka
02-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Getting better! One thing your scene could use is more direct light from the window. If you look at the poles on the ceiling in this image, you'll see that there's stronger direct light from the sky. http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3318/3454315806_35ddf2250a_z.jpg?zz=1

Also looking at your backplate, there's a lot of sunlight in it. Your scene could use some of that same warm sunlight coming in through the window.

-Dan

Darkmalan
02-05-2012, 06:27 PM
I would also do an ambient occlusion pass for the final render. Theres no contact shadows where the chairs meet the floor which is making them look like they are floating.

Its coming on nicely though!

IconicDrei
02-07-2012, 08:02 AM
A quick play around with the lighting from another Angle. Added an AO pass.

Managed to get some Direct Light into the Scene, but will try to Render something slightly more 'dramatic'.. maybe intensify the Sunlight and dim the areas in shade?
http://www.andreishah.co.uk/images/Render_Image_V03.JPG

prelusion
02-08-2012, 07:37 AM
im not sure if that light is meant to be diffused by some clouds or something. but if its straight sunlight id expect the shadows to be allot crisper and less diffuse.
also a little brighter with a bit more contrast could help :D
good luck.

Panupat
02-08-2012, 11:53 AM
I like the first one a lot better. Probably because of those weird artifacts in your chairs which got hidden in the dark somewhat.

kanooshka
02-08-2012, 12:29 PM
You're sunlight is looking too soft. It could be diffused by some clouds but it that would also dim it quite a bit. If you're using an angle where you don' see that backplate you don't necessarily need the sunlight. As Panupat said, there is some artifacting on the chairs which really show in the sunlight. You may need to fix the model or just smooth them some more. I would also like to see stronger reflections of the window in the pillars, desk, computers and even the arms of the chairs.

-Dan

IconicDrei
02-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback as always. I really want to work on getting a fairly decent 'day time' render out of my Scene, but over the last few days, my work towards this has been rather slow due to Uni..

For a change, I attempted a much later scene than previous, late evening time.. this is what I've produced so far.

http://andreishah.co.uk/Host/Render_Image_V04.jpg

I smoothed the Chairs to try and remove the artifacts, then done a tiny bit of post work..

Darkmalan
02-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Nice! I personally prefer this to the daylight youve done so far. It looks more contrasty and dynamic with the play of shadows. The daylight could look like this though just get the sun directly lighting into the room and honestly it will look good.

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2012, 06:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.