PDA

View Full Version : Ballo. --Armed and dangerous-- SomeoneDangerous...so much...

Ballo
02-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Here is my thing...He/she is work in progress, it isn't a final concept, I have too much to tweak and think but I like to leave all the creative process meanwhile I'm modelling the character, could be a mistake, yes, but I like to feel that. Three words, scifi, mystique and twin Siamese...and elegant...well four words. :)

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/mudbox/24495/9997744/image.jpg

oglu
02-01-2012, 08:23 PM
i like the concept... specially the two heads...
and something glowing to paint an incendescene map... jea...

Airflow
02-02-2012, 04:18 AM
Really cool. But armed? Await updates.

Ballo
02-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks mates. Actually I'm bit lost with the weapon. Any ideas? I will try to design something soon, and model!

SunsSkull
02-02-2012, 07:45 PM
The free online dictionary defines "weapon" as:
weapon [ˈwɛpən]n1. (Military / Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) (Military / Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) an object or instrument used in fighting
2. anything that serves to outwit or get the better of an opponent his power of speech was his best weapon
3. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Zoology) any part of an animal that is used to defend itself, to attack prey, etc., such as claws, teeth, horns, or a sting
4. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Anatomy) a slang word for *censored*

So I guess the green breath of death might be arguably enough, but will it make an impact on the judges/viewers?

Maybe give it something in the form of a religious/mystical symbol for channeling energy ... or some biotic weapon maybe.
You might just as well keep the breath of death and depending if it's a close range/long range thing the weapon could cover the other fighting distances?

Ballo
02-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Thanks SunsSkull. Really good point.

I'm thinking about the religious ornaments. I will try to design something related, but more futuristic. I don't know from where start..anw. here is a bit of small update. It is the first rough attempt to match the concept, quite a bit frustrated to undestand what I painted.

Because I love the creative process and test and change the idea meanwhile I model, the faces looks a bit vamp right now, who knows the end how will be... :curious:

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/mudbox/24495/9997789/image.jpg

Ballo
02-04-2012, 10:25 PM
A new concept, this time more medieval than scifi. But I'm trying to focus in the main character because the first concept was so blurry. :shrug: and I don't like the 3dmodel, so restart.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/mudbox/24495/9997796/image.jpg

Ballo
02-04-2012, 10:30 PM
and a new more, this time to study the scifi idea.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/mudbox/24495/9997797/image.jpg

lbelerique
02-05-2012, 10:34 PM
I prefer the more mystical idea, for me it has a feel of an ancient mythology (greek or nordic) creature, specially because of the blindfolded eyes.
Concerning the topic of a weapon, on the contest rules they talk about a item that the character wields, so I don't know if the idea of the green breath of death qualifies, better check with the contest management.

Cheers and best of luck

Nikizar
02-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I like the idea

h2olt
02-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Both Ideas look ok, but the high tech looks like it will make a way more interesting sculpt.

I'd be interested to see a combination of the two. High tech cybernetic stuff peeking out from the folds of a robe

pyrocube
02-10-2012, 11:18 AM
a staff-ish weapon or a blade with a long handle could go in right(our right) hand of ur 1st concept art itself..the pose suits that well...

and something like an alien-egyptian looking staff would have both mystic-futuristic feel to it

:thumbsup: awesum work..

pyrocube
02-10-2012, 11:38 AM
i think there were some really cool weapons in stargate 1994 movie

Ballo
02-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Ey, thanks Luis. Yes, I'm designing a weapon as an item, but right now I would like to start with the modelling and leave the weapon at the end.

Thanks Nikizar

Hi h2olt I like the futuristic idea as well, but the previous concept was a bit silly. My first idea was a bit of religious scifi style but in that case the arm was too "cyborg"

Thaks pyrocube, good recommendations. I love that movie!.

Here is my last concept. I'm quite happy with the costume and feeling I think is quite close that my first idea. So now start to modelling!

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/mudbox/24495/9997889/image.jpg

pyrocube
02-11-2012, 01:30 PM
religious sci-fi ! lol.. i would just prefer calling it magic..;)

gentlykind
02-11-2012, 04:22 PM
this is great! I like the use of cloth, I liked to see how you approach that. :buttrock:

maxloegler
02-12-2012, 02:09 PM
hej ballo, really nice drawing, like the concept very much.

How you gonna do the pelvis and breast area, because he seems very broad at that areas.

Ballo
02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys, I couldn't work more this weekend, hopefully the next one I will start with the real modelling. Yes, chest is wide but pelvis area is quite similar to a human one. :)

Here is a bit of introduction to the character story. I'm not the best writer in the world..hahaha

Gro-Mouh is an alien race quite similar to the human, but with more white skin, because the lack of sunlight on their planet. It's location is in the star Tara several billion light years from Earth.

Number 15 is one of the many disciples of To, a religion discipline. The entrance to this religion is very strict and secret and is composed of rare mutations of Gro-Mouh race. It is believed that Siamese twins mainly are more perfect than normal habitants and they aren't just rare deformities like human belief. In this case, Number 15 has high psychic skills far above the rest. He can easily read minds, investigate in the future and even he is totally blind can see through the aura, which gave a much clearer vision of the subject.

Although it is a religion, they don't believe in any God or abstract entity and are not subject to any government. As demonstrated in the second civil war where due to his exceptional martial education overthrew the actual government.

It's a privilege count with To support.

djorzgul
02-14-2012, 02:47 AM
:bowdown:

I had to use this smiley after I read the story ;)

jadecilcleton
02-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Very interesting and strong story behind the fantastic modeling.
This project is very good Jose! :D

Ballo
02-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like my 5 minutes story. :)

Here is a small update. I have to run some test to see what can be done by modelling or texturing, so I run some displ vector and displ test, testing as well vector displ vs displ.

Vector displacement is fast and we get better contour. I will do more test later, but I looks like we have a winner. Both fail with clean lines, so probably I will have to do some retopo. :banghead:

This is the pieces for the jaw, obviously.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/mudbox/24495/9998025/image.jpg

Marat-Ars
02-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Nice story man and good character too...Give us some updates... ;)

Ballo
02-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Hi Marat.

It's quite early to put updates so far. I need to figure out some parts for the modelling and design others ones.
The belt is just a sketch from a sphere. I'm retopologing right now.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/mudbox/24495/9998054/image.jpg

Airflow
03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
It would be nice if the belt somehow synch's or connects to either the lungs or vocal chords.
Just writing this I figured a way of disabling them, remove oxygen or flood em with pepper spray :)
Awaiting updates.

Ballo
03-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Hi Airflow, thanks. I really like your idea but it's a bit late. :thumbsup:

Here is an update, with proper base/anim meshes. I changed a bit the concept but it is quite similar.

I really like the torso armour I spent a lot working it, but it's too "warrior", probably I will remove for the final shot...and be torso naked isn't for this kind of character.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/cloud/mudbox/24495/9998391/image.jpg

Airflow
03-13-2012, 02:54 AM
That's looking really nice.

fantasymaster
03-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Awesome! The concept was a bit awkward to me, but now no doubt. It will rock the stage.

keep it up!

Ballo
03-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Ey, thanks! Airflow, Fantasymaster.

Yes, it is awkward, good compliment btw. :) I really like the G.del Toro style for characters. They are a bit disturbing, but at the same time, elegant and different.

lapsusmental
03-13-2012, 12:40 PM
It seems dangerous for sure, but is it gonna be armed? great job! ;)

Ballo
03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Yes, he will. the weapon it's a bit of surprised. I just can say it will be a mental weapon.;)

How is it going at Las Fallas?

lapsusmental
03-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Las Fallas are sweet days here over Valencia jejejeje Enjoying them, and I invite everyone to come to Valencia, Spain and enjoy them aswell, starting last week and untill next monday night. The "big thing" takes place this weekend!

Me gusta tu blog, btw ;)

Ballo
04-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Hi!

Here is an update. It's a composition image. I like to play with fusion meanwhile I'm doing some renders, its more fun. Yep, its a big step from before but anw, I'm quite lazy person with the updates.
Textures are quite rough and still improving it, I have some troubles posing my character because Import as a layer in Mudbox is world space so when I rotate the hand, put the new pose level 0, the high sculpt go broken. I starting to resculpt in pose because, yes, I don't want to deal with any displacements maps (I hate them) so I will render the whole high meshes.

I will put more angle cameras soon. :)

http://cgc-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/mudbox/24495/9998706/image.jpg

oglu
04-02-2012, 10:27 AM
i like the mood of your image...

and i hate dispmaps also... ;)

HrIsHi
04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
This is starting to look Really good!..:thumbsup:
If i could point out 1 thing,. the cloth over the heads(hoods) looks a bit stange. its 2 thick and seems 2 be 1 piece whereas a a cloth wrapped around like that would probably have a lil overlapping. also the blending of the 2 hoods seems unnatural. The folds suggest 2 seperate pieces but the seem to be joined.

I really like the lighting and the designs(tattoo's?) on his body:). keep it comin!

Ballo
04-03-2012, 09:45 AM
wow, the render is superdark in my work's monitor. I should to calibre it to have a better lighting balance.

Thanks guys. Really good point HrIsHi, I'm remodelling in pose the character so I will take care of the hood intersection. :beer:

fantasymaster
04-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Cool update! Would like to see some clay renderings of this one :)

Dispmaps sucks... maybe you could try lower subdiv levels with normalmaps.

Ballo
04-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks FantasyMaster.

My final image isn't the last one, unfortunately I could finish it in time. This morning I got a better composition.

Hope you like it. When I have time I will do more camera renders.

Good luck to everyone!!! It was a good challenge!

http://josemlazaro.com/temp/Paladin_AlmostEnd.jpg

lukasvogl
04-14-2012, 02:03 PM
great work.
i like the mood of it!
although the colors are dark your character is easy and clear to read.
great job on that.
congrats

Kzin
04-14-2012, 06:10 PM
nice model, looks believable with these two heads.
textures matches the look really good and i like the colors in the final image.

oglu
04-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Great final, i like the one with the green magic

tswalk
04-14-2012, 08:28 PM
i'm not sure if it is just a process thing, my display, or the image you have posted here is different than your submission.. but, this one in my opinion looks better. the glows are subtle and more defined whereas in the final post in the challenge area they seem a bit over done.

i dunno, but i actually prefer the image you have here... looks great!

Ballo
04-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks lukasvolg! Iīm glad you like it, yes, this final image is much better than the one I submitted.

Thaks Kzin!

Thanks Oglu! yes, much better.

Hi tswalk, itīs not your screen. My final beauty render entry it was a earlier render/composition test because I couldnīt finish it on time. It could be really silly go far in the chanllege and donīt put any final entry.

Anw, Iīm not gonna win, but Iīm glad I finish the challenge. :P

maxloegler
04-16-2012, 12:00 PM
looks great! like the texture on his body!

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2012, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.