PDA

View Full Version : Daz 3D Studio Pro FBX export to Cinema 4D R12

tanglewire
02-01-2012, 04:54 AM
What up everyone.
I've been trying to tackle an issue with joints being misaligned in Cinema 4D when I import characters from Daz Studio Pro 3D.

The problem is the joint seem to all be aligned to a world space. The default T Pose of a Daz character has some bend in the arms, hands and fingers etc.. and because the joint axises don't follow the bone path I can't set up user data to curl the fingers. This has caused a road block in the character rigging pipeline I was hoping to set up.

I've got a post going on the Daz forums addressing this issue. It can be found at this link:

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=181887&sid=e304224a8928bd665ad0754c9120b3e0

If anyone one has any ideas as to what might be causing this issue I'd love to hear them. Suggestions for solutions are also appreciated.

THX1311
02-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Just Curious Mate but is it absolutely critical to use the Genesis Figure in C4D??
and Have you tried this Export with a Non genesis figure
M4,V4 etc.

Cheers

Cactus Dan
02-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Howdy,

The most common procedure would be to unbind the skin (keeping the weight history), realign the joints and then rebind the skin. If you're using Cinema 4D's built in joints and skinning, unbinding the skin and keeping the weight history would be:
Disabling the skin deformer (green check in OM)
Realigning the joints
Clicking "Set Pose" in the weights tag
Re-enabling the skin deformer

Adios,
Cactus Dan

xfon5168
02-01-2012, 05:24 PM
You don't need to disable the skin deformer, but just know it's gonna look funky after you align and before you hit Set Pose. Just align and set pose and you'll be ok.

tanglewire
02-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Can't thank you guys enough for that Set Pose tip! Works perfect.

THX1311... I did try the M4 character and had similar results. I've also got similar results with the Collada export out of Daz. It's something with the way Daz sets up it's exports. Apparently the characters joint skeletons import properly aligned into Maya. One of the admins on the Daz forums mentioned at theory about C4D not properly handling the pre and post rotations that are set in the FBX files. I don't fully understand pre and post rotation... is it any thing like freezing transformations in C4D?

For the workflow I'm trying to set up the Genesis figure is essential. Genesis is far superior to the M4 and V4 models based on it's ability to blend shape morphs alone.

This realign and "set pose" work around is a really nice solution to fix the problem. Still it would be nice if the joints would import properly in the first place. The joints are correct in Daz... The import correct in Maya...
I've had other FBX models (not form Daz) import with proper joint skeleton alignment. So C4D is capable to do it correctly with a slightly different format. I wish I knew what the exact problem is but I'm happy that I have a great work around.

Thanks again guys!

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2012, 05:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.