PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with RIT's animation program?

taxguy
01-31-2012, 01:57 PM
My daughter was just accepted into the MFA program of both RIT and USC. RIT gave her 9K merit scholarsip and she might get more due to other scholarships. This would reduce the tuition to about 20K per year. USC's tuition would be about 38K per year! Thus, I am wondering what people know about RIT's program and if they have good industry and/or corporate contacts.

Dartboard82
02-02-2012, 02:18 AM
RIT has a well rounded program with animation, 2D design, 3D design and computer graphics in 2D and 3D. I am currently a sophomore in 3D computer graphics but know a few people in animation. As far as course selection goes, there a plenty of cross discipline courses to take as well as any in-major electives which lead to a more diverse portfolio which is what you want with any art and/or imaging science student. The extra-curricular clubs are always looking for more members and can help you to achieve some extra contacts with the additional perk of boosting a resume and honing skills (ie: attending lectures with the RIT SIGGRAPH chapter, and meeting guest speakers who visit).

One of the great things that can be found on the Campus is the Imagine RIT, which is something between an open house and a fair and free for the public. It occurs on May 5, and will give you a good idea as to what can be done with an RIT education. Going will allow you and you daughter to see all the majors in the College of Imaging Arts and Sciences and help you decide then and there if you like the schools atmosphere and attitudes towards work and play.

* However nice the school is be warned. The weather sucks. overcast 40% of the time (even more so in the fall). But otherwise, its not too cold, and even in the high summer, rarely rises above 100F.

taxguy
02-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Actually my daugher LOVES snow and cold. I don't think that the weather would be a problem for her. She would actually rather be in cold weather such as Rochester than in Beverly Hills California. Go Figure.

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2012, 10:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.