PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Twirling Fish

Heaven871
11-16-2003, 09:23 AM
The king of trash has returned :bounce:

I created this little advertising using Boujou for tracking, Maya for modelling, dynamics. And the software renderer and Mental ray for rendering.
The final composit was completely done in AfterFX, which I have to admit was definetely not the best choice.

It's a little commercial about the ultimate relaxer: The Twirling Fish

Don't miss it :eek:

Please give some critics.

DOWNLOAD CLIP HERE (7.5 MB, DivX 505) NEW VERSION (http://www.garryrunke.com/Twirling_Fish/Twirling_Fish_DivX505_mp3.avi)

Have a great week,
Garry

http://www.garryrunke.com/Twirling_Fish/Twirling_Fish.jpg

Goro
11-16-2003, 09:38 PM
Hi Garry! Thnx for giving me credits:)

This is a really cool idea. Looks very realistic
The tracking is great. I love the bubbles rasing and colliding with the fish!

:buttrock:

Heaven871
11-17-2003, 03:03 PM
Here is a little making of shot of those multi-passes I used.

:cry: Why don't you guys reply? If you don't like it tell me, I love it and spent so much time in it. Just one stupid comment can't be desired too much, is it?

http://www.garryrunke.de/Twirling_Fish/Twirling_Fish_Making.jpg

smoke
11-17-2003, 04:01 PM
From the still images it looks good, I'd download the movie but the connection is beyond slow

Heaven871
11-17-2003, 04:28 PM
:shrug: I am sorry for the inconvenience "smoke".
I tried downloading it and it runs at the max of my modem, just try it again later.
Please let me know if problems last.

marcowilz
11-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Hello Garry!
Can I order this cute little Fishset? I called the number at the end of the spot, but they had only some ugly sextoys for sale.

But the spot looks really good. I think the actor is not the best, but the fish is acting much better than the human.

Much luck and good work

JoBbE
11-17-2003, 07:04 PM
I really like it!
But: I think the product shot with all the data about how to order etc is too static. What if the whole thing was placed on a rotating plate as seen on qvc/hse?

Also, I think you might add realism if rendered refraction for the glass and the water.

Great job anyways!

Omnicrola
11-17-2003, 07:38 PM
LOL, that's great!
Seriously, great movematching, I just wish we could stare at the fish longer, it's hilarious with that soundtrack in the background, great choice!

Someone should seriously make one of these, I'd buy one!

hp_deluxe
11-17-2003, 08:31 PM
really nice work!

and greetings from elstal... im one of the new students, first semester(that guy with the dread locks)

i'm far away from work like that, but i just finished my first charcter!

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102386&highlight=sam

würd gern wissen was die "GFS-ELITE" ;) davon hällt...

man sieht sich!

Hannes

sula_nebouxi
11-17-2003, 10:13 PM
Great job compositing the 3d animation with the live action shot. :thumbsup:

I'd buy one of those too heh...they look so cool!

gueedo
11-18-2003, 12:35 AM
wow...I love it. The compositing is really nice and I love the music. That's one of my favorite songs on the kill bill soundtrack. Good job man :thumbsup:

Heaven871
11-18-2003, 08:55 AM
:love: Thank you for all your nice replies, you can not imagine how happy I am right now.

Omnicrola, I also want to see the fish longer, but unfortunately those two shots were all that could be tracked from a total of seven. I just don't figure out what I am doing wrong. I'll work on that.

JoBbE, that's a point, I'll try to put the fish on a rotating plate. Great idea.

:thumbsup: a great week to all of you. Hope I can post the new version in a couple of days.

horoXhoro
11-18-2003, 10:08 AM
very nice work u have there....just look like real to me:bowdown:
great work..very inspiring

some question here..

what software did u use??

what is the multipass rendering use for???(can show me some guideline??:wavey:

JoBbE
11-18-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by horoXhoro

what is the multipass rendering use for???(can show me some guideline??:wavey:

You use multipass rendering to be able to compose with alot more control! For example if you figure you need less reflection, just turn down the reflection layer's opacity. You can actually render out seperate r/g/b passes to be able to control the color even if already rendered.
This is extremely useful when working under pressure, say a tight deadline and alot of custumer's wishes or if you have a scene that needs ages to render but you need to tweak settings like color and spec.ref. and so on.... :wavey:

charithmax
11-18-2003, 10:24 AM
nice work! i really like it!

:beer:

Omnicrola
11-18-2003, 06:35 PM
If you have a tripod, or even just place the camera on a stack of books, and just pivot it back and forth, that'll help a lot.

Or you could compose the shot so that the camera is far down the desk, zoomed in on your subject, and then pulls back and pans slightly to the side to show your fish container.

There's lots of options to play with here. :)

thomas123
11-19-2003, 09:56 AM
very well done, garry !!

I love it !

expecially the tracking is really good. (i´m sure that was luck ;-))

it´s exactly like one of these stupid homeshopping-tvs.

thomas

-=[RoX]=-
11-19-2003, 10:07 AM
nice. really nice.
i love it.
:applause:

greets
RoX

ManiaX
11-19-2003, 10:55 AM
hey garry,

warum sagst du nix, wenn du sowas postest? das rockt.
sehr coole sache. sauberes matchmoving.

mightyT
11-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Nice work!

I couldn't believe my eyes with that tracking job. Looks like cemented onto the table. Great.

I don't know 'bout the acting though. Maybe you should've done it yourself?!

Keep up the good stuff!

Heaven871
11-20-2003, 04:43 PM
:love: Ok, heard all your cool ideas and put them in the new version of the Twirling Fish.

JoBbe, glass has refractions now.
The fish is on a rotating plane and the whole shot is not static, but connected to the text that is said.
A close up of the fish is included.

I also added some typing sounds in the beginning because some people thought it had no sound and turned their speakers off after 2 seconds :hmm:

Have a great weekend and thanks for all the valuable input.

JoBbE
11-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Weehaa, that's better :)

Great job!

mightyT
11-21-2003, 07:28 AM
well done garry.

the new version is much better.

you should give it a shot and try to get it broadcasted on home order television. just for fun... :rolleyes:

later!

- mightyT

Goro
11-21-2003, 07:42 PM
Nice garry! That looks way better now! What's next?
:applause:

Pharaun
11-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Really cool. I actually laughed a little. :D

Nam GEE
11-23-2003, 02:12 PM
hi gerry,
i sure like your cute little fish. and i ... don´t mean that
metaphoricly.

4saken
11-23-2003, 03:47 PM
like always garry, you got some very unique ideas and manage it to get something cool out of it. this is totally awesome and i definetly want one of those cute fishies on my desk ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.