PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with C++ for 3D and Physics Programming

Anchang-Style
01-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Hey people,
as i second major in Computer science i got back into programming (after long absence^^) and actually i enjoy it. Sure we go through all the important stuff OOC, linked list, double linked list, stack, array, recursive stuff, hash list, hash map, sorting algorythm (bubble and quick sort) and all this atuff. Sadly we are forced to work on BlueJ (which feels like medieval times when you worked on Eclipse for Java before...no auto code completion, a lack of debugging (just local variables but no parameters shown) all this stuff make it a pain.
Well long story short. I really got interested into trying to programm a bit in 3D and try myself on Physics programming. Especially with modern Options like CUDA and OpenCL. But i would prefer C++ over Java.

Anway what books are are good ressources for getting into the hows of 3D (or maybe first 2D) programming with the latest technologies (why work on DX 8 if we are at DX 11). Would be really nice if you could give me some tipps (iam not planning on making a career of it but would be nice to know).

Thanks in Advance :)

AJ1
02-01-2012, 03:49 AM
I just started programing about 5 months ago myself, but Ive found Python to be a great starter language. It has a niffy built in GUI library called tkinter that's great for building simple applications.

Python also works really well for scripting in Maya, and you can also write full on plugins as well (but I'm not that far yet).

-AJ

yarniso
02-02-2012, 01:46 PM
If I could give you one advice then it would be to tackle one thing at a time. Don't try to learn C++ by trying to program (game) physics in combination with CUDA or OpenCL. Learn C++ first. Take good book and read it front to back. Grasping all that will be difficult enough.

If you want something other than dummy projects to play with and something that is related to CG, then perhaps start with a ray tracer. Those are fairly modular (you don't need much to get started), will introduce you to a lot of relevant CG math concepts and are good fun. And you'll be surprised to see how many of the data structures you've mentioned will pop up again at some point.

You could take that as a base and move on from there. Perhaps improve it through CUDA or OpenCL. Or take the theoretical concepts you've learned and apply them to whatever you wish to do. I think that will be a more productive approach in the long run.

ranaazeem
02-03-2012, 06:53 AM
If I could give you one advice then it would be to tackle one thing at a time. Don't try to learn C++ by trying to program (game) physics in combination with CUDA or OpenCL. Learn C++ first. Take good book and read it front to back. Grasping all that will be difficult enough.

If you want something other than dummy projects to play with and something that is related to CG, then perhaps start with a ray tracer. Those are fairly modular (you don't need much to get started), will introduce you to a lot of relevant CG math concepts and are good fun. And you'll be surprised to see how many of the data structures you've mentioned will pop up again at some point.

You could take that as a base and move on from there. Perhaps improve it through CUDA or OpenCL. Or take the theoretical concepts you've learned and apply them to whatever you wish to do. I think that will be a more productive approach in the long run.

I think that's a good advice.
Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2012, 06:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.