PDA

View Full Version : inheritroot - spine (or tails)

Julez4001
11-16-2003, 05:58 AM
Expression used for nice bending

InheritRoot(Lumbar,TopSpine,rotate,0,0)

Is the command where you can just grab one bone and the following bones bend incrementally till they reach the selected endpoint.

great for nice bends and if you screw around with the last two variables 0,0 fallloff and value of each bone in the chain, you can get some neat effects.

Now you can this same effect without expression by just selecting your bones or select one bone using the groups (u can tell groups to autoselect all bones in the group) and hitting "e" for multi-select and you will get a nice bend.

Try MotionDynamics with this.

Stoehr
11-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Oh yeah! Nice tip. This is kinda like a follower, but a bit simpler and better. Thanks.

Julez4001
11-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Its kinda like Follower but there are other expressions that duplicate follower ..expressions are the nuts and bolts to create set driven keys as well and remember that you can sliders and full expressions in the variables section of other expresssions.

Sil3
11-17-2003, 03:14 PM
Yap itīs nice but only if the Bones are in a Straight line or witth ZERO HPB Rotations, if they are already rotated in one or all of those axis the InherithRoot isnīt to much use.

Sometime ago i asked Lyle if there was any chance of having a "Freeze Transformations" on Items, so that even after the Bones (or other items) where rotated/moved while in Setup Mode, i could freeze their transforms and they would "revert" back to ZERO on all channels, keeping their Setuped values of course, Lyle said it would involved a big change in the code and since me and Stuart Aitken where the only ones concerned with this, it really wasnīt a "on the list of things to do"

lmilton
11-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Sil3
Yap itīs nice but only if the Bones are in a Straight line or witth ZERO HPB Rotations, if they are already rotated in one or all of those axis the InherithRoot isnīt to much use.

Sometime ago i asked Lyle if there was any chance of having a "Freeze Transformations" on Items, so that even after the Bones (or other items) where rotated/moved while in Setup Mode, i could freeze their transforms and they would "revert" back to ZERO on all channels, keeping their Setuped values of course, Lyle said it would involved a big change in the code and since me and Stuart Aitken where the only ones concerned with this, it really wasnīt a "on the list of things to do"

I dunno... I'm guessing that I just needed more info to determine the priority; we don't make decisions based solely on the "numbers". Have you posted a scene so I could clearly see the problem? (sorry if I missed it)

-lyle

WesComan
11-17-2003, 07:45 PM

I think it's only the root bone that has to have zero HPB. If you want to use InheritRoot on a bone thats got a rotation simply split it and use the new bone (which will have zero rotation) as the root. :)

chikega
02-23-2004, 04:12 PM
I was messing around with InheritRoot expression and came across this thread after I did this setup. The bones aren't in a straight line - the pitch varies from one bone to the next. The root bone is not zeroed out on HPB.

http://www.3ddmd.com/images/Messiah/Inherit_root.jpg

Here's the animation test for the above setup:

http://www.3ddmd.com/images/Messiah/Inherit_root.gif

Everything seems to be working fine. I'm just wondering if anything has changed since this thread was first posted.

Here's the scene file (http://www.3ddmd.com/download/TR_Inherit_root_final1.mpj) in case anyone's interested. :)

Shredder
02-23-2004, 05:20 PM

If you need the root bone at 0 HPB, and you allready have everything setup. Just use Borhan Berthet's rigging Tools scripts.

http://www.zoogono.com/plugindetail.cfm?pid=2

Just select the bone that needs to be 0,0,0 and double click on the "Insert Null" Script. It inserts a null between the two bones and zeros out the bone you had selected.. I use this ALL the time.. LOVE IT!

LoScuro
02-24-2004, 08:41 AM
:beer:

Yap!

Nice advices!
Thanks!!

Julez4001
12-07-2005, 06:55 PM
If you need the root bone at 0 HPB, and you allready have everything setup. Just use Borhan Berthet's rigging Tools scripts.

http://www.zoogono.com/plugindetail.cfm?pid=2

Just select the bone that needs to be 0,0,0 and double click on the "Insert Null" Script. It inserts a null between the two bones and zeros out the bone you had selected.. I use this ALL the time.. LOVE IT!

Bump this up!

Julez4001
12-07-2005, 07:34 PM
the "Insert Null" Script.

This script and all its brethern semm to be broken in messiah 2.2b
Argghhhh!

Julez4001
12-20-2005, 12:58 AM
Can someone confirm this for me?

bradenbickle
12-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Any luck with InheritEnd expressions?

Everytime I use that thing, I get all kinds of weird stuff. I'll rotate the end bone and the chain rotates opposite. What's the trick?

I know you guys are talking about InheritRoot, but hey, this is close to it so it wouldn't hurt to yap about it as well.

Julez4001
12-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Sounds like you are using the wrong Inherit? expression for what you wqant
Change the InheritEnd to Root in your expression and see what works for you or swaping the beginning bone and endbone.

Again...
the "Insert Null" Script.

This script and all its brethern seems to be broken in messiah 2.2b

Can someone confirm this?

CGTalk Moderation
12-20-2005, 02:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.