PDA

View Full Version : Tecnical artist or director. Where to study?

darkgaze
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Hi people.

I just heard about Filmacademie and their course for Tecnical Director... Just wondering where else could i try to have a TD Training, or have any Master, Short course, or introduction.

Thanks people!

AJ1
02-01-2012, 04:57 AM
I want to be a lightingTD for a big studio myself, and from all my research, it seems its best to get a computer science degree, and apply the programing skills you learn to 3D in your own time.

I'm looking at starting school again come summer time at a local community college for CIS.

-AJ

taxguy
02-01-2012, 05:25 AM
I want to be a lightingTD for a big studio myself, and from all my research, it seems its best to get a computer science degree, and apply the programing skills you learn to 3D in your own time.

I'm looking at starting school again come summer time at a local community college for CIS.

-AJ
I remember someone giving a key note address at a high school lamenting why today's generation wants to become the chief with major fringe benefits immediately.

There is no school that will make you an immediate director of lighting! Moreover, no school will give you enough training for you to become a great expert in lighting anyway. This takes years of actual work experience. You could use the Gnomon videos for help,but you first need the experience.

Bottom line: Before you can be any sort of chief, you need to be a successful Indian for a while.

AJ1
02-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Keep in mind Sandy that not everyone in the 3D industry is an artist. A CS degree seems to be a hard requirement for technical potions at many studios.

-AJ

mrcain
02-01-2012, 12:08 PM
A good background in physics and maths will help.

Also as it important, good python skills is a plus at the moment.
I guess if you are technically minded this will be very easy to pick up.

Even being a technical artist, you still need a creative eye, as for what the client wants will not be what accurately comes out the box every time.

I guess if you want write tools though or still want to work on shots is the big decider.

taxguy
02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Keep in mind Sandy that not everyone in the 3D industry is an artist. A CS degree seems to be a hard requirement for technical potions at many studios.

-AJ

I do get the fact that not everyone in the 3d industry is an artist. However, even CS types usually have some sort of art background.

Moreover, even CS types are not going to start out being a director. They too have to pay their dues.

Would you ever hire someone right out of any school to be a director without a lot of prior work experience?

AJ1
02-01-2012, 03:09 PM
TD stands for technical director, and is an entry level position.

mrcain
02-01-2012, 03:16 PM

What are you talking about?

taxguy
02-01-2012, 04:30 PM

I thought technical director was a management level position. If not, then I stand corrected.

katisss
02-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Filmakademie close to Stuttgart is a great school but German language primarly. Also competitive to get in.

FrankIowa
02-02-2012, 03:34 AM

I just did a couple of searches for CG TD positions. Responsibilities and requirements for one: "The Technical Director is an experienced technical problem-solver and will be called on to participate directly in production projects, as well as to develop new workflows, tools, and techniques and improve on existing ones." . . . " Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area of study (e.g., computer science, broadcasting, computer animation, etc.)
• 2+ years of commercial or visual effects experience as a Technical Director, with a strong emphasis in modeling and one or more of the following areas: animation, surfacing, character setup, fx animation, lighting, rendering, and/or compositing.
• Experience in C/C++, scripting, or some other object-oriented programming language.
• 3 + years of computer animated (fully animated or live action mix) commercial or feature film experience as a Technical Director preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with several of our production applications: Maya, Nuke, MTOR, prman or equivalents. "

the other one: "Requirements: Minimum 3 years experience"

Not entry level . . .

mr Bob
02-02-2012, 05:08 AM
Junior TD's do get hired and they tend to have a degree in computer science or some other technical degree and need to know python.

The big difference between a lighting TD and lighting artist > is the fact the lighting TD can build the tools needed to do the job of lighting. The same goes for effects etc etc.

b

AJ1
02-02-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm sure the definition of TD is different at different places. I know at RnH almost everyone, including the new guys, has TD in their job title.

I should know... I'm actually CEO of an animation company myself....

(I only have 1 employee though... ;))

-AJ

scrimski
02-02-2012, 10:05 AM
I just heard about Filmacademie and their course for Tecnical Director
The TD course they offer is part of their animation program, so you'll need to apply for that first.

katisss
02-02-2012, 05:49 PM
No TD course is open to transfer students with technical background.
Any no entry level position means 2-3 years experience, nothing specific here.

Andrewty07
02-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Even though the position might not require as much of an artistic/creative background that doesn't mean you won't be competing with others that have a substantial creative side. If they have the best of both sides they will have have a substantial benefit to selecting them for employment. Engineers need to be able to communicate to creatives effectively and vice versa to resolve production problems and planning.

luispages
02-04-2012, 11:21 AM
This may be of interest to you: www.vfxlearning.com

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2012, 11:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.