PDA

View Full Version : Color Management in PS 7

gmask
11-16-2003, 01:37 AM
I don't really understand the color management in PS7 and it's driving me nuts.. why do my grayscale image look like they are tinted blue? I have tried all the color management settings and they seem to have no effect.

Ian Jones
11-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Possibly could be the 'white point' of your monitor. You can set different levels of white light basically. You can choose artificial (blueish) or daylight (yellowish) settings. Check out the photoshop help or monitor settings.

gmask
11-16-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Ian Jones
Possibly could be the 'white point' of your monitor. You can set different levels of white light basically. You can choose artificial (blueish) or daylight (yellowish) settings. Check out the photoshop help or monitor settings.

No that is not it.. what is happening is let's say I have a quicktime movie that is grayscale and I copy and paste a frame from it into PS. PS tints it blue..literally tints it.. if I desaturate the image it is grayscale again.

So in that case I could guess that it's a color pallette issues maybe. But on other cases where I'm looking at an alpha channel it displays the alpha as being blueish.. adn if I copy and paste the alpha which is only capable of grayscale it come sout blue and I have to dsaturate it. of course if I were to view this informaton in another program it is not blue.

I dunno .. I'm looking through the help file and it isn't helping.

halo
11-16-2003, 10:05 PM
your colour profiles are hosed....trash them, run through the process again

http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html may be worth a search as well just in case you've got something really out of wack still after that

gmask
11-16-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by halo
your colour profiles are hosed....trash them, run through the process again

http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html may be worth a search as well just in case you've got something really out of wack still after that

I delete dall my prefs but that hasn't fixe dit. Base don what I rea don the PS support forums it seems lieka Color Management issue sbut what I don;t udnerstand is why then is it dsipalyign grayscale iamges as tinted blue whne I look at seperate channels.. that makes no sense whatso ever and no matter what I do to the color settings that problem persists.. even in images where the color combined RGB channles display proper grayscale the individual channels are shown as tinted blue!?!?

singularity2006
11-17-2003, 12:32 AM
gamma loader maybe? I noticed ur same problem. A color red would be red outside of PS and then when I copy and paste or screen shot into PS, the red would be like..... pink? wt?F!

Anyhow, running gamma loader corrected that. Though it was really strange that the color adjustment outside of PS was not as great as the adjustment within PS after the gamma loader.

gmask
11-17-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by singularity2006
gamma loader maybe? I noticed ur same problem. A color red would be red outside of PS and then when I copy and paste or screen shot into PS, the red would be like..... pink? wt?F!

Anyhow, running gamma loader corrected that. Though it was really strange that the color adjustment outside of PS was not as great as the adjustment within PS after the gamma loader.

Do you mean the adobe gamme control panel?

So far I ahve not heard anyone exprres the same problem.. when you were having the problem woudl grayscale images be tinted red or your alpha channels?

allenatl
11-17-2003, 02:11 AM
A couple of possibilities:

1.In Photoshop, in the view menu, make sure Proof Colors option is not checked. The option doesn't change the color data in the file but it does change colors viewed on your monitor. If it was accidentally checked, it would affect the colors on your screen.
This is a remote possibility but I figured I'd mention it just in case.

2.If Photoshop is literally tinting the image, it sounds like a color conversion is automatically taking place. In Color Settings, under
Color Management Policies, if the RGB setting is "Convert to Working RGB", then this would happen. Try changing it to "Off" or
"Preserve Embedded Profiles" and see if it changes anything.

gmask
11-17-2003, 02:33 AM
>>1.In Photoshop, in the view menu, make sure Proof Colors option is not checked.

Not checked.

>>>2.If Photoshop is literally tinting the image, it sounds like a color conversion is automatically taking place. In Color Settings, under
Color Management Policies, if the RGB setting is "Convert to Working RGB", then this would happen. Try changing it to "Off" or
"Preserve Embedded Profiles" and see if it changes anything.

Yup turned off.. again the issue is not with color images but anything grayscale.

If a I make a grayscale ramp in RGB and convert to grayscale it turns blue. however if i convert it to index it's fine.

While in RGB mode I notice that the channel icons are all tinted blue. :cry:

singularity2006
11-17-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by gmask
Do you mean the adobe gamme control panel?

So far I ahve not heard anyone exprres the same problem.. when you were having the problem woudl grayscale images be tinted red or your alpha channels?

yep, I had to configure stuff in the adobe gamma control panel. Actually, I got it really close, but the colors were still off. So I tossed my flat panel and got another one. (lol nah, I didn't literally toss it. It was still under the return guarantee so I got another one). Some monitors just don't like PS (especially the generic ones).

gmask
11-17-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by singularity2006
yep, I had to configure stuff in the adobe gamma control panel. Actually, I got it really close, but the colors were still off. So I tossed my flat panel and got another one. (lol nah, I didn't literally toss it. It was still under the return guarantee so I got another one). Some monitors just don't like PS (especially the generic ones).

Well AFAIK the NEC monitor I have is pretty top notch.. hardly generic ..I have a color profile specifically for the model that I have.. but you are missing the clincher here..the RGB will display normally but the individiual channels and the alpha channel which are grayscale the ones going whacko. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

halo
11-17-2003, 12:03 PM
is greyscale in RGB and CYMK screwed as well or just greyscale and greyscale channels?

whats wierd is the fact that PS does NOT use colour management for the display of its channels at all....greyscale yes, channels no.

Greyscale is ok in other apps you say, double check that with a 128,128,128 rgb file from PS...your not using hardware overlay alpha or something odd are you...

another thing to check...the grey border around PS images (not your pc desktop)...ie hit "f" and see what that looks like...is that blue?

gmask
11-17-2003, 05:20 PM
>>>is greyscale in RGB and CYMK screwed as well or just greyscale and greyscale channels?

Currently the only mode that I can make a grayscale ramp that looks correct is RGB and index

>>whats wierd is the fact that PS does NOT use colour management for the display of its channels at all....greyscale yes, channels no.

I don't think so

>>>another thing to check...the grey border around PS images (not your pc desktop)...ie hit "f" and see what that looks like...is that blue?

No.. so it's not a monitor adjustment issue.. strange huh?

halo
11-17-2003, 05:51 PM
ok so your profile that is hosed....or all your others are out and you've calibrated your monitor around them, but thats not likely as your border grey is ok.

ok what does it say when you goto prefs>colour settings under the grey drop down menu?

gmask
11-17-2003, 06:26 PM
>>>ok so your profile that is hosed....or all your others are out and you've calibrated your monitor around them, but thats not likely as your border grey is ok.

NO it's not the display.. and what I don't understand is why PS is actually tinting things.. that's insane!

>>ok what does it say when you goto prefs>colour settings under the grey drop down menu?

Currently it says 2.2 gamma but I have tried all settings and they only effect gamma and not this weird blue tint.

I di dnotice that I can sometimes get it to work by setting the Proof Setup to Monitor Colors but it keeps setting itself back to Windows Colors and still if I convert a gray image to RGB it come sout blue an the channels still dispaly as blue.

This is insane I'm really starting to hate PS and their color mismanagment. I wish there was a single button that disabled all color management. I'm going to check to see if there any monitor specifis drivers I have installed as the system seems to recognize it as the correct model.

wolver1ne
11-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Was it always like that? If not then did you install something or changed settings somewhere that might have affected the way it works now.

gmask
11-17-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by wolver1ne
Was it always like that? If not then did you install something or changed settings somewhere that might have affected the way it works now.

No.. and I'm guessing that it must have started when I got this monitor and did a whole reinstall of everything.. but a fair amount of time passed since the last time I was doing anything major and PS. It had been a couple of months since I got thenew monitor and renistalled everythign before I noticed it if it was there all along I can't recall.

halo
11-17-2003, 09:15 PM
colour settings >settings>colour management off :) simple

btw, profiles for monitors shouldnt be relied upon...even exact same monitors vary by more than a profile can cover.

it really sounds like either your doing something wrong with the wrong profile or your installation is hosed

gmask
11-17-2003, 10:29 PM
>>colour settings >settings>colour management off :) simple

Yeah has not effect allready tried it. stil doesn not explain the blue channels

>>btw, profiles for monitors shouldnt be relied upon...even exact same monitors vary by more than a profile can cover.

I didn't install this profile.. the operating system did. as it recognized the monitor.. I guess I will try uninstalling it.

>>>it really sounds like either your doing something wrong with the wrong profile or your installation is hosed

I blame windows

visualboo
11-19-2003, 04:45 AM
My cure is to just throw the whole system out the window (preferably off a high balcony), and start over. ;)

Btw, it's not photoshop. It just some tweaked setting possibly from user error. At least thats what my friends tell 'me'.

No this is not me / 3mb quicktime (http://www.visualboo.com/misc/the_pitch_320.mov)

gmask
11-19-2003, 04:51 AM
>>Btw, it's not photoshop. It just some tweaked setting possibly from user error. At least thats what my friends tell 'me'.

I dunno I have never needed to think about color management until this happened but ti do esseem related to some setting chosen by th esystem because of this new monitor.

>>>No this is not me / 3mb quicktime (http://www.visualboo.com/misc/the_pitch_320.mov)

Looks like Chicago.. I thought it would be a computer getting thrown off the edge.

gmask
11-19-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by halo
colour settings >settings>colour management off :) simple

btw, profiles for monitors shouldnt be relied upon...even exact same monitors vary by more than a profile can cover.

it really sounds like either your doing something wrong with the wrong profile or your installation is hosed

I uninstalled the driver for my monitor and presto magico my grays are gray again.. of course I expect when I restart it will install it again.. thanks windows.. but maybe I can pick a generic display profile or sumthin.

halo
11-19-2003, 10:16 AM
gmask, good u've found it....so was it a driver or a profile?...either way manufacturer based software calibration is worth jack...every seen 20 identical out of the box monitors in one room and you'll see why...even good monitors, which is why we have to calibrate them. Once you've calibrated you can use the new profile but manufacturers profiles etc are like trying to blow the same amount of air into every car that goes through a garage and expecting them to be inflated the same and well.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.