PDA

View Full Version : Softimage saving scenes

Gallagher
01-25-2012, 01:46 AM
How the hell do you save your scene in Softimage 2012? I'm used to working in Maya but have been looking into Softimage for its superior weight painting tool. When I try to save my scene all I get is "The disk is write protected" I'm also using windows for the first time on a macbook which I'm not used to maybe its a windows thing?
I cant even save on the desktop.

grahamef
01-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Did you create a project first? File > New Project

ace63
01-25-2012, 09:54 PM
You are probably in the sample project which is write protected.
Create your own project first.

bottleofram
01-25-2012, 11:53 PM
While we're at it, does anyone know if there is a good reason why soft doesn't allow saving outside of the project? I mean, does it write something specific that absolutely needs the directory structure or something? To my knowladge, its only .scntoc alongside the .scn and that shouldn't be too big of a problem...

P.S. Sorry for highjacking your thread, Gallagher.

Gallagher
01-26-2012, 12:05 AM
hey thanks that was pretty straight forward not sure why i couldn't figure that out last night!

xsisupport
01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
While we're at it, does anyone know if there is a good reason why soft doesn't allow saving outside of the project? I mean, does it write something specific that absolutely needs the directory structure or something? To my knowladge, its only .scntoc alongside the .scn and that shouldn't be too big of a problem...

P.S. Sorry for highjacking your thread, Gallagher.

The project structure is a core part of the whole data management infrastructure in Softimage. For example, the scene backup and crash recovery mechanisms require a project. Effectively, scenes and projects are joined at the hip.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.