PDA

View Full Version : BlackBoxGames Art tests

Rob3D31
06-10-2002, 10:06 PM
I submited my art test, along with a demo reel, lifedrawing portfolio, resume, letters of reference etc etc to BlackBox and was told that my Character Modeling test didnt meet the minimum requirments. They can't give any feedback as they dont have forms with evaluation.

So if you guys have a moment and are in the mood to critic some work I would apprecaite it. ESPECIALLY if you are currently an employed ingame modeler, your view from the inside may shed more light.

Please remember I didnt meet the "minimum" requirements. I am planning on doing this test again so I really need your help here.

Thanks,
Rob

aazimkhan
06-10-2002, 10:13 PM
all i can say is gr8 work....
keep it up Robsie!!!

VFS RULES!

Rob3D31
06-10-2002, 10:20 PM
For thsoe not familiar with this test it is a 450 poly head with a 256x256 texture that needs to be capable of facial expression.

Mine worked out to 449 polys, texture is 256 and is capabe of many face shapes. I've shown here the default, scream/yell and eyes/mouth closed to give an idea of what can be adjusted.

Below is the concept art by BlackBox aswell as a screenshot of there work.

My goal for this thread is to get a better idea of where I fell short of the minimum requirements, not to sling mud at BalckBox or cry about not getting an interview. So any help will be apprecaiated.

Rob3D31
06-10-2002, 10:22 PM
more can be seen at www.blackboxgames.com

jakehh
06-10-2002, 10:45 PM
looks good...the only thing i would suggest is the texture usage....alot of valuable texture space ws wasted....the quality however of the actuall texture is good...for example you could have mirrored the two sides of the fice and enlarged the one half..
and done away with the scar on his head..
-j

aazimkhan
06-10-2002, 11:04 PM
I agree with that rob....i think that could be one of the negative factors...

:hmm:

Harvey
06-11-2002, 12:01 AM
It would be useful if you provided a wireframe veiw of your model or at least a view in shaded mode with edged faces visible. From the image you have presented the model seems to be quite flat. But again this may not be the case as it is difficult to tell without a wireframe.

SeanW
06-11-2002, 06:52 AM
I think it looks really good. It might be a question of the style that you used. Yours although somewhat cartoony in proportions might not be cartoony enough, especially with the texturing. I for one like the more realistic texturing style but this might be something they looked at. It also might be because you didnt do a follow up. I know this sounds wierd but ive seen guy apply to the same place, one better then the other in skill but the other sold himself better and got the job.

Rob3D31
06-11-2002, 08:27 AM
Thanks All,

Yeah I did my follow up after 3 weeks...maybe left it to long eh? She did thank me for my patience though. I will definatly adjust my texture to use more of the space aswell as show more face shapes.

prototyp3
06-11-2002, 04:14 PM
I did the same test and got the same generic reply.

I think they probably realized you cannot judge someone's skill level by having them create just a floating head - as they redid their character art test to having you model an entire character.

darthblevis
06-11-2002, 06:19 PM
This was my submission for the test:

http://www.kalvinlyle.com/portfolio/Content/CHARACTERMODEL/RUGBY.JPG

The test was only for the model, the texture was not part of the test.

Rob3D31
06-11-2002, 10:18 PM
Cool model, you must be right.

Dean Avanti
06-20-2002, 11:39 PM
Also of importance is if they like you. : )
something that can be overlooked .
hell you have to sit in the same office with the other designers they got to think you will mix well with their click.
not that any one here is not popular , you know what i mean ; )

http://www.600ml.com.au/alteredstate

Asorson
06-24-2002, 11:15 PM
Rob3D31: You're texture looks nice to me. But it's lacking in a few areas in my humble opinion:

-Wasted Texture Space: This was already mentioned. One thing to keep in mind though is that you can have stretching and blurring on areas that don't have lots of detail. For example the top of his head, it's basically just flesh color with a highlight on it so you don't need to use as much texture space as the face for that.

-Eyes: The eyes are kind of flat and lifeless, they are blurry and there is no highlight on them.

-Monochrome: The skin, although nicely detailed, is very monochromatic. It almost looks as if a lot of the detail was achieved by dodging and burning a single base color. More color variation can make for a more interesting skin, and also give it life.

Rob3D31
06-26-2002, 01:38 AM
I agree with you on the texture space, I coulda drawn the face much bigger and mirrored the uv....using up half the space. As for the eyes..yes they look flat and lifeless on the texture, but I dont think that matters as they work well on the model...if they were very bright it would look odd as the area around the eyes is dark. I was going for more of a battle hardened veteren kind of look, not a bright eyed bushy tail kind of look. There is no dodging or burning, it is all painted.

Thanks for the crit.

Rob3D31
06-26-2002, 01:47 AM
Heres that mesh that was asked for ages back and another face shape.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.