PDA

View Full Version : Re-using irradiance map and light cache.

Darkmalan
01-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Hi guys,
Could someone please give me some advice on re-using irradiance map and light cache?
I'm re-using them for testing purposes but how flexible is the ability to re-use the maps in terms of changes to the scene?

For example can you change the colours of materials or reflectivity without having to create new maps and can light colours and values be changed slightly without creating a new map?
At the minute I'm creating a new map everytime I alter something in the scene but this cant be necessary because re-using maps would then be pointless for previewing a scene?

Hope someone can help and I hope I make sense!
Thanks
Kyle

kanooshka
01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi Kyle,

Of course it depends on the scene but before worrying about the indirect lighting and caching it would probably be best to get your light and material colors finalized as much as possible. If you're just preview rendering you should be able to turn down your quality settings very low until you're nearing the end of the process. It's not as necessary for the output to be too accurate until you're doing your final renders. Personally, I consider caching of that type to be more useful for animation and not too beneficial for previewing unless you're making very subtle adjustments.

-Dan

DanGrover
01-24-2012, 08:00 PM
If you think of an IM as baked in light, you sort of answer your own question. Can you keep them? Certainly! Will it look right? Not usually. Changing colours, certainly, will look very unusual, especially if it's a bold colour. Changing the intensity of the light will be fine but it may look a little unusual - like there is too much or too little bounce light (because there is!). It's worth playing around with, certainly, and technically as long as the path remains the same, nothing should "break" per se, but I don't know if it's terribly useful, really.

Darkmalan
01-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys that definately makes sense.
I just often find that by using lower settings the intensity of the lighting changes quite a lot particularly with using light cache is this what other people get?

But yes I thought the same thing with re-using maps just thought maybe I was missing something but obviously not

Thanks again
Kyle

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2012, 07:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.