PDA

View Full Version : Armed and Dangerous - Support Thread

Keenly
01-24-2012, 05:20 AM
http://cgc-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/mudbox/challengepages_mudbox.jpg (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox)

Please read the FAQ (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/faq#jumpto), Terms & Conditions (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/terms_and_conditions#jumpto) and other posts in this thread before asking a question.

Links:
FAQ (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/faq#jumpto)
Terms & Conditions (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/terms_and_conditions#jumpto)
News Thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=1030722)

oglu
01-24-2012, 05:44 PM
could we have acces to create a thread here in this sub forum...?
id like to show my wip here... its much easier to follow...

Alekzsander
01-24-2012, 08:22 PM
could we have acces to create a thread here in this sub forum...?
id like to show my wip here... its much easier to follow...

yes i agree with Oglu here is better

Darksuit
01-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Going to agree,
dislike the current system in place, please go back to the threads. The original thread system was cleaner and easier to follow.

Alekzsander
01-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Going to agree,
dislike the current system in place, please go back to the threads. The original thread system was cleaner and easier to follow.

Yeahhhhh agree again i don't like it this system

RobbyXPs
01-25-2012, 04:13 AM
I am having trouble uploading my entry to the current system using Firefox. From the Pick a File screen I use the “Select Your File” option and select my concept .jpg to upload. The bar above the button then turns from a dark gray to a light grey but there is not progression after that. Anyone else having trouble with this? I also tried to upload in Internet Explorer and it said I needed flash play 9 or greater. Attempted again after installing the latest version of flash, with the same result.

Keenly
01-25-2012, 04:31 AM
Hello everyone. By popular demand, i have opened the Armed and Dangerous :: MudBox Challenge (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=338) forum to allow the creation of WIP threads.

However, posting a WIP thread does NOT count towards the challenge and will not be considered in the judging progress.

You must upload at the very least the following deliverables to your Challenge entry:

Final beauty render - fully posed and painted character
Model sheet - showing front, back, side and 3/4 view of your final modeled and painted character
At least 1 WIP of character being sculpted in Mudbox
At least 1 WIP of character being painted in Mudbox

oglu
01-25-2012, 08:25 AM
thanks... im starting now...

Pointyman
01-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Hello, question.

In the T&C's says 'Individual entrants'. I was going to get a mate to help draw up some concepts, reference images and paint the backgrounds and other 2d aspects of the image but I'd be the only one to model, texture and pose the 3d character.

Is that allowed? Or do I have to conceptualize and draw / paint everything including bg and 3d chars myself?

Erigo
01-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Hey Rhys !
When I switch to the View All Entries Submitted category I cant see anything there...(

P.S. Yep I've just uploaded my stuff using Upload Entry button :)

Erigo
01-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks ! Now works fine :thumbsup:

manusito
01-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Hello, question.

In the T&C's says 'Individual entrants'. I was going to get a mate to help draw up some concepts, reference images and paint the backgrounds and other 2d aspects of the image but I'd be the only one to model, texture and pose the 3d character.

Is that allowed? Or do I have to conceptualize and draw / paint everything including bg and 3d chars myself?

Ballo was also asking the same question, and I'd like to know the answer too.

MikeHepburn
01-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Hello, question.

Yes, you may get help from other artists. However, if you win, we can only deliver prizes to the Mudbox artist, so it's up to you to divide them up amongst yourselves:)

OmarO
01-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Does everything has to be made from Mudbox, subtools etc.?
or can I make every basemesh in max and import each tool and sculpt them in mudbox?

think this challange will teach me alot on the way.

thanks

gamarala
01-28-2012, 01:00 AM
i don't know if it's just me, but when i go into the currently submitted images and go to any one of them, the page is offset to the right. ive tried refreshing several times. no go. :\ but if i zoom (Ctrl + scroll wheel) out or in a bit, it corrects itself. o.O

ernstnobis
01-30-2012, 10:06 AM
hi, for some reason i cant start a new thread in the armed and dangerous forum.
it says you do not have permission to access this page...

SunsSkull
01-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm trying to enter the challenge and post some WIPs of mine ... however it seems I don't have sufficient rights to create a new thread.
The thing is - my account is rather old and to my shame I have to admit I wasn't regularly active :)
Is there something somebody could do or help me find the proper contact for support?

Cheers,
Sun

Mantegra
01-31-2012, 09:47 AM
I am curious to know if we are allowed to have multiple sub-characters within the finished scene like dead bodies or pets and stuff like that? The main character should obviously be the main focus but are they allowed to be surrounded by other minor characters within the scene?

MikeHepburn
01-31-2012, 10:21 PM
I am curious to know if we are allowed to have multiple sub-characters within the finished scene like dead bodies or pets and stuff like that? The main character should obviously be the main focus but are they allowed to be surrounded by other minor characters within the scene?

Yes, you may have multiple characters. But it's important that your main character is prominent, because that's what you'll be judged on.

paulius-st
02-01-2012, 12:03 AM
how can i start my entry? i tried to upload my concept art and didnt get any result . how can i start this chalange?
thanks in advance for the answer

Nixie
02-01-2012, 07:15 PM
I was wondering if the concept needs to be totaly original or if we can base it on a movie or comic book ect? To be clearer, can we directly work from a comic, tv show or movie?

Thanks!

PeanutBuddha
02-01-2012, 09:05 PM
I cant seem to start a my own thread in this challenge section. It says that I do not have permission. Ive already entered the competition and posted some WIP, but I would like to start a thread and post in there with my updates. What do I need to do?

MikeHepburn
02-02-2012, 03:36 AM
I was wondering if the concept needs to be totaly original or if we can base it on a movie or comic book ect? To be clearer, can we directly work from a comic, tv show or movie?

Thanks!

It must be totally original. We mustn't tread into the murky waters of copyrighted material.

PeanutBuddha
02-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Sorry about my last post, I realize now my posts dont show up because Im a new user.

I have a question though. One of the rules in the terms and conditions is...
Entries should remain unpublished outside of CGSociety prior to the close of the challenge.

I wanted to video screencap my process and post it on youtube to post here. I have actually seen a few others do this already. Does this disqualify them? Would that disqualify me if I were to do that too?

Also, it seems that I can upload my images via the forum, but can only link to images hosted somewhere. If I upload WIP images to my server or website to link to from the forum, would that be considered publishing outside of CGSociety? Would that disqualify me?

thanks

MikeHepburn
02-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Sorry about my last post, I realize now my posts dont show up because Im a new user.

I have a question though. One of the rules in the terms and conditions is...

I wanted to video screencap my process and post it on youtube to post here. I have actually seen a few others do this already. Does this disqualify them? Would that disqualify me if I were to do that too?

Also, it seems that I can upload my images via the forum, but can only link to images hosted somewhere. If I upload WIP images to my server or website to link to from the forum, would that be considered publishing outside of CGSociety? Would that disqualify me?

thanks

It's OK to show the process outside of CGSociety, just as long as your blog/you tube clearly states that it's for this Challenge - maybe a little link to here would be nice too :)

However, the final rendered image should not be revealed anywhere else but here.

Keenly
02-03-2012, 12:13 AM
how can i start my entry? i tried to upload my concept art and didnt get any result . how can i start this chalange?

To upload an entry to the challenge. click the 'upload entry' button. 'Select Your File'.
create a thumbnail with the cropping tool, write a description then click 'Submit this entry to the Challenge'. :thumbsup:

paulius-st
02-03-2012, 05:08 PM
thanks for the reply. but the main problem is that i tried to do this from the begining but something is wrong.
i select my file witch is not realy a big one (100kb, 1000X1000px) and namede 1 so it should upload jus tfine, but when i select it it uploads and nothing happens. the upload dialog doen not change. i tried to leave it for an hour thinking it has to do something with my internet conection or firefox version. but no progress.
do you have any ideas about what could be wrong?

kKately
02-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Quick question here before I get started and void myself. We're allowed to use any software to create our base mesh. Does this include Zbrush or are we talking Poly modeling only?

marcelladk
02-07-2012, 02:46 PM
I uploaded one wip to the challange, how can i add more? I cant find an option

Keenly
02-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I uploaded one wip to the challange, how can i add more? I cant find an option

Add another WIP exactly the same way you uploaded the first one. with the big 'Upload Entry' button. :p

MrFunk
02-08-2012, 01:42 AM
are we allowed to create low poly characters?

and is it possible to create two characters for one entry, some kind of a tag team/army of two thing? :)

Silent3d
02-08-2012, 11:33 AM
I hope there is a rule to protect the concept of the early submissions. Especially in a case like mine just learning to use mudbox against others who are already knowledgable in the software and can execute faster even if the concept is very much similar to early submissions.
I'm not against anyone here just thought it's important to a competition. :)
Peace everyone!! :wavey:

Mantegra
02-08-2012, 11:55 AM
I just have another quick question and just wanting to know if the weapon/item can be organic and sort of coming out of the character or does it have to be completely separate?

MikeHepburn
02-09-2012, 09:24 PM
I just have another quick question and just wanting to know if the weapon/item can be organic and sort of coming out of the character or does it have to be completely separate?

As long as it looks threatening. :)

MikeHepburn
02-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Quick question here before I get started and void myself. We're allowed to use any software to create our base mesh. Does this include Zbrush or are we talking Poly modeling only?

Not quite sure that it's in the spirit of a Mudbox challenge :) However, you can create your base mesh in any package. Please post a screen shot of your base mesh in your WIP thread and explain how you created it. Naturally, the sculpting and painting should be completed in Mudbox.

MikeHepburn
02-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I hope there is a rule to protect the concept of the early submissions. Especially in a case like mine just learning to use mudbox against others who are already knowledgable in the software and can execute faster even if the concept is very much similar to early submissions.
I'm not against anyone here just thought it's important to a competition. :)
Peace everyone!! :wavey:

Certainly is. Number 19 in the Terms and Conditions states:

All entries should be original and not a derivative of existing work, including works previously entered in this competition.
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/terms_and_conditions

MikeHepburn
02-09-2012, 09:51 PM
are we allowed to create low poly characters?

and is it possible to create two characters for one entry, some kind of a tag team/army of two thing? :)

Our preference is one. However, if you can make the second guy look like a weapon...

eng-omar
02-10-2012, 09:02 PM
hello
should the entrant post a thread or just upload wip..?
thanks

iatriki
02-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Do we submit all the images thru the UPLOAD ENTRY button? Or just the WIPs? Should we give relevant names like WIP, character sheet, beauty render?

Are we alowed to retopologize our models? Or shoul the final model be just the sculpted piece?

MikeHepburn
02-12-2012, 10:36 PM
hello
should the entrant post a thread or just upload wip..?
thanks

Only post a thread in the forum if you want, they aren't compulsory.

However you must submit to the Challenge engine:
Final beauty render - fully posed and painted character
Model sheet - showing front, back, side and 3/4 view of your final modeled and painted character

MikeHepburn
02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Do we submit all the images thru the UPLOAD ENTRY button? Or just the WIPs? Should we give relevant names like WIP, character sheet, beauty render?

Are we alowed to retopologize our models? Or shoul the final model be just the sculpted piece?

Yes, all images are submitted via the UPLOAD button. Once there, you will have the option to add either a WIP, Model sheet, or the Final beauty render.

You may retopologize, just as long as you point this out in your WIPs.

zraluk7
02-13-2012, 02:10 AM
hi, im new to cgsociety in fact im new to the whole cg world and i m trying to figure out how to participate in this competition. but i cant find this upload button ,all what i see is the start new thread button and when i do click it,it says i don't have enough privilege to use this futur ,any guidance will be appreciated.
thanks

MikeHepburn
02-14-2012, 06:35 AM
hi, im new to cgsociety in fact im new to the whole cg world and i m trying to figure out how to participate in this competition. but i cant find this upload button ,all what i see is the start new thread button and when i do click it,it says i don't have enough privilege to use this futur ,any guidance will be appreciated.
thanks

Hi, and welcome!

You enter by going to this page: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox

If you are logged in you will see a big green button that says JOIN CHALLENGE, Bob's your Uncle :)

zraluk7
02-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi, and welcome!

You enter by going to this page: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox

If you are logged in you will see a big green button that says JOIN CHALLENGE, Bob's your Uncle :)
no i can start sketching my first character ever .
thanks

eng-omar
02-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi

I have problem with upload my wip ..
I have four days trying press upload entry button but nothing happend
I installed adobe flash player 11 from the website and nothing happend
pls help

eng-omar
02-16-2012, 05:41 AM
Hi

pls help

I solved the problem

kPavel
02-18-2012, 06:09 AM
hi, i have the same problem
i cant start new thread... (you do not have permission to access this page)
and when i click on 'upload entry' thumbnail preview doesn't download image :shrug:

Tamosius
02-21-2012, 08:23 PM
I am having trouble uploading my entry to the current system using Firefox. From the Pick a File screen I use the “Select Your File” option and select my concept .jpg to upload. The bar above the button then turns from a dark gray to a light grey but there is not progression after that. Anyone else having trouble with this? I also tried to upload in Internet Explorer and it said I needed flash play 9 or greater. Attempted again after installing the latest version of flash, with the same result.

I'm having the very same problem. + the "Marquee" tool? there is none, I cannot see the preview of a thumbnail. I'm using Chrome as browser, Flash is updated. Please help.

kPavel
02-22-2012, 03:40 AM
after you post more than 2 comments and they will be cheked... everything will be fine, as i understand :thumbsup:

Jonatan-Moonchild
02-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Hi.

I have a question - one of the rules says: "Dimensions: 2560 x 1600 pixels, or similar". Are there any requirements about the format horizontal / vertical for the "Final beauty render"? Thanks in advance for answer.

Regards
Jonatan

StebanM
02-23-2012, 01:31 AM
hi, i've some questions, i'm not an expert on this field, or may be i didnt understand some rules or something, but
* Can i crate a 3d background to complete the scene?
** The final render must be done using the final sculpted mesh or it has to be rendered using a base mesh and using normal maps
** The whole texture must be created in mudbox? or it can be edited in photoshop
(**may be they are silly questions but i would like to know the answer thanks)

MikeHepburn
02-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Hi.

I have a question - one of the rules says: "Dimensions: 2560 x 1600 pixels, or similar". Are there any requirements about the format horizontal / vertical for the "Final beauty render"? Thanks in advance for answer.

Regards
Jonatan

No, both horizontal or vertical is fine.

MikeHepburn
02-23-2012, 04:47 AM
after you post more than 2 comments and they will be cheked... everything will be fine, as i understand :thumbsup:

Yep, that's right :)

MikeHepburn
02-23-2012, 05:03 AM
hi, i've some questions, i'm not an expert on this field, or may be i didnt understand some rules or something, but
** The final render must be done using the final sculpted mesh or it has to be rendered using a base mesh and using normal maps
** The whole texture must be created in mudbox? or it can be edited in photoshop
(**may be they are silly questions but i would like to know the answer thanks)

There are no silly questions :)

Yes you may - but don't forget that your character must stand out. Also, one of the prizes is going to be a sculpture tactualized by our good friends at Offload Studios, but only the character will be tactualized.

There are no software restrictions on base meshes, UV mapping, re-topologizing, or comping the final beauty render (Photoshop, GIMP, whatever). You must point these out in your WIPs. Just as long as you clearly show Mudbox was used for sculpting and painting, you'll be fine.

MikeHepburn
02-23-2012, 05:13 AM
Speaking of tactualizing your model... we'll have a feature about that and Offload Studio very soon. I'll post the link here when it goes live.

Jonatan-Moonchild
02-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Jonatan-Moonchild[/b]]
Hi.

Regards
Jonatan

No, both horizontal or vertical is fine.

Sorry for additional question here - I could ask in one post, I know, but it came to my head today (I was hoping that I have time to edit my post but you answering very quickly :) ). OK, here is the question: what's the level of "similarity"? If I choose vertical, will it be OK if I make it wider? For example 2000 x 2560?

Once again thanks in advance for answer.
Jonatan

tswalk
02-23-2012, 10:01 PM
hi, i seem to have trouble seeing my posts / comments in threads and am unable to create a WIP log like others are making... do i need to upgrade my account for cgsociety?

MikeHepburn
02-24-2012, 02:51 AM
Sorry for additional question here - I could ask in one post, I know, but it came to my head today (I was hoping that I have time to edit my post but you answering very quickly :) ). OK, here is the question: what's the level of "similarity"? If I choose vertical, will it be OK if I make it wider? For example 2000 x 2560?

Once again thanks in advance for answer.
Jonatan

I can't see that being a problem. The main reason we want it at 2560x1600 is for publishing reasons (to potentially get the images into Ballistic books). Just as long as it's that size or bigger, everything should be OK.

Silent3d
02-24-2012, 04:49 AM
Hi admin, i tried to input the serial key for the philippines but its not working. can you provide another key? Thanks so much!

StebanM
02-24-2012, 11:52 PM
There are no silly questions :)

Yes you may - but don't forget that your character must stand out. Also, one of the prizes is going to be a sculpture tactualized by our good friends at Offload Studios, but only the character will be tactualized.

There are no software restrictions on base meshes, UV mapping, re-topologizing, or comping the final beauty render (Photoshop, GIMP, whatever). You must point these out in your WIPs. Just as long as you clearly show Mudbox was used for sculpting and painting, you'll be fine.

THANKS MAN!

ZeinabNematzade
02-25-2012, 01:11 PM
hi
I registered in challenge 36 hours ago but I cant see my thread in this forum
this is my page address:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/entry/ZeinabNematzade/work_in_progress/9998106
what's the problem?
Thank you

akon07
02-26-2012, 03:06 PM
hi

i've had a question about the size for the image you've said that it should be 2560x1600

is that for final image only

or with the Model sheet and
WIP of character

another question about posing the character

must be at mudbox or i can use any software for posing my model

MikeHepburn
02-26-2012, 11:17 PM
hi, i seem to have trouble seeing my posts / comments in threads and am unable to create a WIP log like others are making... do i need to upgrade my account for cgsociety?

Hi Troy,

It's just a forum restriction, you need to post 2 comments, which are checked by moderators, before they show up. It's just to stop spammers etc. After that, you are part of the community!

MikeHepburn
02-26-2012, 11:41 PM
hi

i've had a question about the size for the image you've said that it should be 2560x1600

is that for final image only

or with the Model sheet and
WIP of character

another question about posing the character

must be at mudbox or i can use any software for posing my model

Hi,

Only the final image needs to be that size.

You can pose your character in another program, as long as you do your sculpting and painting in Mudbox :)

MikeHepburn
02-27-2012, 12:04 AM
hi
I registered in challenge 36 hours ago but I cant see my thread in this forum
this is my page address:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/entry/ZeinabNematzade/work_in_progress/9998106
what's the problem?
Thank you

Hiya,

Seems to be working now.

Keep up the good work!

MikeHepburn
02-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Check out this article...
http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/offload_studios

MikeHepburn
02-27-2012, 02:58 AM
Hi admin, i tried to input the serial key for the philippines but its not working. can you provide another key? Thanks so much!

Hi August,

The serial number should be working:

366-72498704 Product Key: 498D1

Did you set up the trial properly? After you install there are two options: a 30 day trial or verify the serial/registration. You need to pick the second option, not the 30 day trial. The 3 month trial should then be activated.

If you still have issues, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me, and I’ll have a chat with our friends at Autodesk.

Cheers

Silent3d
02-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Hi Mike,

Yes i tried the second option but i think it didn't work so i choose the 30 day trial instead, my mistake sorry.

Now that my 30 day trial expired, is there any way i can still get the 3 month special trial? i cant continue with my entry specially now that i have more time to do it. Thanks again!

MikeHepburn
02-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Hi Mike,

Yes i tried the second option but i think it didn't work so i choose the 30 day trial instead, my mistake sorry.

Now that my 30 day trial expired, is there any way i can still get the 3 month special trial? i cant continue with my entry specially now that i have more time to do it. Thanks again!

Hmmm, not sure. Have you tried reinstalling?

I'll ask our friends at Autodesk.

Silent3d
02-28-2012, 03:07 AM
I'll try again. let me know if what your friends say. Thanks so much for helping, if it doesnt work ill do it in my other computer. :)

Marwan07
03-05-2012, 06:58 AM
hi

i have a question about

sorry i'm new in CG bt what does WIP means should i record video while i'm sculpting and painting

manusito
03-06-2012, 02:27 PM
hi

i have a question about

sorry i'm new in CG bt what does WIP means should i record video while i'm sculpting and painting

That means Work In Progress, so you should not only upload the final image, but also some pics from the modeling/texturing process

tswalk
03-13-2012, 04:56 AM
hi,

do we have permission to use the CGSociety logo (the atomic symbol) somewhere in our work? I was planning to use this in a small discreet location.

MikeHepburn
03-13-2012, 06:34 AM
hi,

do we have permission to use the CGSociety logo (the atomic symbol) somewhere in our work? I was planning to use this in a small discreet location.

Hi Troy,

Yes you may use it. http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/cgs_logos

Cheers

tswalk
03-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Hi Troy,

Yes you may use it. http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/cgs_logos

Cheers

thank you mike and sorry to trouble you with this...

i have double checked a couple different browsers to ensure i have cookies enabled.... and unfortunately i get the following error message when attempting to get any of those files.

"You are either not a paid member of the CGSociety, or you have cookies disabled"

i'm not a paid member yet, just really new here :) is this needed?

Mantegra
03-15-2012, 03:45 PM
I am just thinking about composition at the moment and I know that the beauty render has to show the character posed and textured however does the beauty render have to show off the 'whole' body of the character and the weapon or is it possible to show off only a certain section of the model? (e.g., a close-up of only face or upper body). And does the weapon have to be fully viewable in the beauty render or can only a portion of it be shown (e.g., if you have a sword, only the handle instead of the whole blade)?

MikeHepburn
03-16-2012, 06:18 AM
thank you mike and sorry to trouble you with this...

i have double checked a couple different browsers to ensure i have cookies enabled.... and unfortunately i get the following error message when attempting to get any of those files.

"You are either not a paid member of the CGSociety, or you have cookies disabled"

i'm not a paid member yet, just really new here :) is this needed?

Hi Troy,

No, you don't have to be a paid member. A free CGTalk membership is all that is required. Have you logged in with your free membership?

MikeHepburn
03-19-2012, 07:42 AM
I am just thinking about composition at the moment and I know that the beauty render has to show the character posed and textured however does the beauty render have to show off the 'whole' body of the character and the weapon or is it possible to show off only a certain section of the model? (e.g., a close-up of only face or upper body). And does the weapon have to be fully viewable in the beauty render or can only a portion of it be shown (e.g., if you have a sword, only the handle instead of the whole blade)?

Hi Ben,

We would prefer it if as much of the character as possible was shown. If it suits the composition the weapon can go out of frame.

jones233
03-20-2012, 07:35 PM
I had a question about the model sheets. When turning in the model sheet the instructions did not specify whether or not the model needed to be posed or unposed. If I don't need to pose it I can go ahead and make the model sheet.

MikeHepburn
03-20-2012, 10:46 PM
I had a question about the model sheets. When turning in the model sheet the instructions did not specify whether or not the model needed to be posed or unposed. If I don't need to pose it I can go ahead and make the model sheet.

Hi James,

The model sheet can be either posed or unposed.

DGK
03-21-2012, 01:27 AM
Help please?...My Mudbox license has expired. Looks like it is ending after the 30 days not the extended time as per the competition.

MikeHepburn
03-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Help please?...My Mudbox license has expired. Looks like it is ending after the 30 days not the extended time as per the competition.

Hi Denham,

Did you set up the trial properly? After you install there are 2 options: 30 day trial and verify the serial/registration. Pick the second option, not the 30 day trial. The 3 month trial will then be activated.

If you accidentally chose the 30 day trial, then I think you will have to reinstall. A few people have had the same issue, and I've given the same advice, but not heard from anyone if successful or not.

DGK
03-21-2012, 05:00 AM
Hi Mike thanks for your help! Well after some frustration I tried using the America's trial license for the activation and it worked. Before that I had re-installed Mudbox a few times, followed the install instructions properly each time and that did not help the issue with activation.
Thanks again!

sudhirverma76
03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Hey there can we have two final entries i mean the final character in two different poses.

What is the quality landmark? Is it should be like pigsy in the posters??

Jonatan-Moonchild
03-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Hello.
I have a problem with my Mudbox trial. When I was starting it up (after installation 20 days ago) a message appeared: "You can use Autodesk Mudbox 2012 for 7 days before your license expires. To use Autodesk Mudbox 2012 after this period, you must reactivate your license." When I clicked "Activate" button I had two options: "Connect now and activate!" and "I have an activation code from Autodesk". I don't have an activation code from Autodesk so I was selecting first option and program was running, but next time when I was launching Mudbox, this situation was repeated. Finally I received a message "Reactivation Limit Reached" and I couldn't launch Mudbox anymore. I tried reinstall but it didn't help. So I uninstalled it and tried download it again, but now I cant even download installer. Please help! I can't continue my work... :(

Regards
Jonatan

P.s. I'm in 90% sure, that I chose the 3 month trial during installation (it was 20 days ago, so I can't write 100%) and I used serial number for Europe, Middle East and Africa.

MikeHepburn
03-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Hello.
I have a problem with my Mudbox trial. When I was starting it up (after installation 20 days ago) a message appeared: "You can use Autodesk Mudbox 2012 for 7 days before your license expires. To use Autodesk Mudbox 2012 after this period, you must reactivate your license." When I clicked "Activate" button I had two options: "Connect now and activate!" and "I have an activation code from Autodesk". I don't have an activation code from Autodesk so I was selecting first option and program was running, but next time when I was launching Mudbox, this situation was repeated. Finally I received a message "Reactivation Limit Reached" and I couldn't launch Mudbox anymore. I tried reinstall but it didn't help. So I uninstalled it and tried download it again, but now I cant even download installer. Please help! I can't continue my work... :(

Regards
Jonatan

P.s. I'm in 90% sure, that I chose the 3 month trial during installation (it was 20 days ago, so I can't write 100%) and I used serial number for Europe, Middle East and Africa.

Hi Jonatan,

Something similar just happened to my Australian activation too. I took DGK's advice above and used the American activation number supplied with the trial serial numbers, and it's working fine again now.

However, looks like that won't help you at the moment. I've put in a request for advice from Autodesk, but I'm not sure how long that will take. As a temporary measure, is there another computer you can use?

Cheers, Mike

Jonatan-Moonchild
03-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Hi Jonatan,

Something similar just happened to my Australian activation too. I took DGK's advice above and used the American activation number supplied with the trial serial numbers, and it's working fine again now.

However, looks like that won't help you at the moment. I've put in a request for advice from Autodesk, but I'm not sure how long that will take. As a temporary measure, is there another computer you can use?

Cheers, Mike

Hi Mike,
Thank you for quick response. Unfortunately I can't use another computer. It looks like I will have to reorganize my working plan and start working with GIMP on details and colors of background. I planned to do this when my character will be sculpted and will get the first touch of color, but... as it was in Monty Python's "Life of Brian" - "Always look out the bright side of life" ;). Please let me know when you receive a solution from Autodesk (you can tell them, that my character is Mars - the God of War and he have all weapons of the world and is very dangerous - I wouldn't mess with him ;).

Regards
Jonatan

Steveyola
03-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi.

I think I can still finish an idea I have. However, I have a question please. As long as I stay within the theme of the challenge, can I have more than one character for my entry? In other words my idea would have more than 5 characters working together as a team. Is this permited? Thanks.

MikeHepburn
03-28-2012, 04:36 AM
Hi.

I think I can still finish an idea I have. However, I have a question please. As long as I stay within the theme of the challenge, can I have more than one character for my entry? In other words my idea would have more than 5 characters working together as a team. Is this permited? Thanks.

Hi Steve,
We'd prefer just the one main character. Other characters can be in the background, but only the main character will be judged, and subsequently 3d printed if it wins.
Cheers

Steveyola
03-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the quick response Mike.:thumbsup:

Jonatan-Moonchild
03-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi Mike,
Sorry for disturbing post, but... are there some news from Autodesk in my case (not working Mudbox trial)? In the meantime I push my 2D work forward, but there left only 16 days to deadline and I'm afraid, that I will have not enough time to finish sculpting and painting my character in Mudbox.

I have a different question here. I see that many people make their renders in different 3D program so I suppose, that render in Mudbox is not good enough. I don't have a different 3D program (and 3D skills), so if I will not be fully satisfied with render from Mudbox (when it will work again on my computer), can I correct it in 2D program (GIMP in my case)? Or render of the character achieved with 3D program should be "frozen" and 2D adjustment may concern only the background? I mean here the "final beauty render" of course.

Thank you in advance for the answer.

Regards
Jonatan

sudhirverma76
03-29-2012, 04:39 PM
I didnt got answer for my question above.... :cry: .... :eek: :)

I want to know can we submit different poses for our character ... :rolleyes: I mean more than 1 pose ...

rox44
03-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Just saw this challenge and now hoping I have time to finish an entry!!! :banghead:

Couple quick questions:

1. Can the subject/character be a public figure/celebrity? - I understand being an international contest, not everyone will recognize the subject, but for my ideas, it shouldn't matter. I just don't want to break any unwritten rules, and I'm definitely staying away from copyright issues.

2. Since the deadline is quickly approaching, do the WIP deliverables need to be submitted by a particular schedule prior to the final rendering, or can the whole lot of deliverables be submitted at once?

Thanks!!!

GregStrangis
03-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Any chance the deadline will be extended??

tswalk
03-30-2012, 08:52 PM
I would really like to submit two model sheets and am wondering if this is allowed, any restrictions other than the basic requirements (views, painted, etc..)? I feel as though much of my characters "extras" obstruct the core model, but are needed for the full persona (and will be included in final render).

... also, since there will be a huge difference in quality between the model sheet and final render. is it ok to produce the model sheet images from mudbox and composite them in say photoshop?

thanks!
-Troy

maxloegler
03-30-2012, 09:24 PM
i think, but have no idea :D, that you will be able to upload as many model-sheets as u want. its for the jury, to be able, to judge the model as a whole, the level of sculpting and painting. i, for my part, will render the final beauty and make an overpaint in ps, the modelsheets will be screengrabs from mudbox without any corrections.

hope this helps.

tswalk
03-30-2012, 10:02 PM
i think, but have no idea :D, that you will be able to upload as many model-sheets as u want. its for the jury, to be able, to judge the model as a whole, the level of sculpting and painting. i, for my part, will render the final beauty and make an overpaint in ps, the modelsheets will be screengrabs from mudbox without any corrections.

hope this helps.

it does! i was considering doing something similar with mudbox, just for the model sheets to show the work done in that tool.

thanks for the feedback

MikeHepburn
04-02-2012, 07:26 AM
I would really like to submit two model sheets and am wondering if this is allowed, any restrictions other than the basic requirements (views, painted, etc..)? I feel as though much of my characters "extras" obstruct the core model, but are needed for the full persona (and will be included in final render).

... also, since there will be a huge difference in quality between the model sheet and final render. is it ok to produce the model sheet images from mudbox and composite them in say photoshop?

thanks!
-Troy

Hi Troy,

There's nothing against the rules when it comes to entering more than one model sheet, you can even submit a turnaround video if you want.

The main thing the judges will be looking at is the beauty render. The model sheet is there to show that no shortcuts were made in the modeling process, and if necessary the model could be turned into a real sculpture.

MikeHepburn
04-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Just saw this challenge and now hoping I have time to finish an entry!!! :banghead:

Couple quick questions:

1. Can the subject/character be a public figure/celebrity? - I understand being an international contest, not everyone will recognize the subject, but for my ideas, it shouldn't matter. I just don't want to break any unwritten rules, and I'm definitely staying away from copyright issues.

2. Since the deadline is quickly approaching, do the WIP deliverables need to be submitted by a particular schedule prior to the final rendering, or can the whole lot of deliverables be submitted at once?

Thanks!!!

Hi James,

1. I would probably steer clear of using public figures. In a worse case scenario, defamation issues may arise. Also, Autodesk wouldn't be allowed to use the image for promotion.

2. As long as all the deliverables arrive prior to the deadline you should be OK. However, part of the spirit and fun of these competitions is to share your work as you progress, so it would be great if you could get some WIPs in prior to the final deadline.

MikeHepburn
04-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Any chance the deadline will be extended??

Hi Greg,

Unfortunately an extension is highly unlikely, because we have a bunch of other comps waiting for a window.

MikeHepburn
04-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Hey there can we have two final entries i mean the final character in two different poses.

What is the quality landmark? Is it should be like pigsy in the posters??

Hi Sudhir,

We'd prefer one entry per character.

As for the quality, it could be anything you want it to be: cartoony, photo real, etc

rox44
04-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Hi James,

1. I would probably steer clear of using public figures. In a worse case scenario, defamation issues may arise. Also, Autodesk wouldn't be allowed to use the image for promotion.

2. As long as all the deliverables arrive prior to the deadline you should be OK. However, part of the spirit and fun of these competitions is to share your work as you progress, so it would be great if you could get some WIPs in prior to the final deadline.

Makes perfect sense. Glad I asked since I've never participated in one of these. Thanks!

tofel
04-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Hello,

I have few questions about the competition.
Model sheet - showing front, back, side and 3/4 view of your final modelled and painted character

1. I have a question for this, if all pictures need to be at one picture, or one picture – front, second picture – back and the third one at another side, etc…

2. At the tab model sheet is written “not final picture”. How do these pictures looks like? As a print screen from mudbox or rendered mental ray? Can be there hair or sub surface scattering? Or it has to be clear model with diffuse texture?

3. How can I upload final or model sheet picture? Is it enough after uploading of picture switch between tabs, for example: final and data submitted? (I have never done this before, so I don’t want to do it wrong).

4. Final picture is 2560x1600 px. landspace, can be this final as 1600x2560 px portrait?

Thanx to answer

ipranawake
04-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by eng-omar
Hi

pls help

I solved the problem

Please explain how .... I'm having a big trouble uploading ......

ipranawake
04-04-2012, 05:16 AM
My WIP images doesn't get uploaded the way it should be .... the progress bar apears and then nothing happens ..... As most of you have resolved this problem already ... can someone please tell me how !!!

Would be a great help ...

I have entered the previous "Dreamscape" challenge using the same system ... and it worked fine then ,.. but now there is a problem ....

Keenly
04-04-2012, 05:34 AM
My WIP images doesn't get uploaded the way it should be ....
Please try clearing your browsers cache, using a different browser, and/or use a different computer to confirm this is not the issue.

If the upload still fails; contact me (info@cgsociety.org) and include your image and username.

ipranawake
04-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Please try clearing your browsers cache, using a different browser, and/or use a different computer to confirm this is not the issue.

If the upload still fails; contact me (info@cgsociety.org (http://forums.cgsociety.org/info@cgsociety.org)) and include your image and username.

Thanks for the quick reply Keenly ..... I have already tried 3 computers, but ill keep trying ...
I know its not an issue because I have used this system before in a past challenge and I love it.

arvin09
04-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Sorry but earlier I submitted my WIP but my file in my computer got deleted. Can anyone help me remove my WIP in the entries if it has been submitted.T

Thank you

ogar555
04-04-2012, 10:34 PM
What the heck. How do I edit or delete entries?

MikeHepburn
04-05-2012, 10:10 AM
What the heck. How do I edit or delete entries?

Hi Arvin and Oskar,

At the moment entrants cannot delete or edit their entries. If you have privacy concerns, send an email request to info@cgsociety.org with the URLs.

MikeHepburn
04-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Less than 9 days to go! If you haven’t already, it’s time to get your hands dirty in Mudbox!

Remember, to be a contender you must have the following deliverables…

1. Final beauty render - fully posed and painted character

2. Model sheet - showing front, back, side and 3/4 view of your final modeled and painted character

3. At least 1 WIP of character being sculpted in Mudbox

4. At least 1 WIP of character being painted in Mudbox

Also, I noticed that some final entries are just headshots. Please don’t forget that your characters have to be “armed and dangerous”. Still time to get that essential component happening!

One more thing… BE CAREFUL with copyrighted materials!

Demitsuri
04-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Hello. First of all I'm sorry if this questions was answered.

1) what is resolution for model sheets that must be submitted?

2) can i upload print resolution final image, lets say 3500 or 5000 pixel wide? Or it is not necessary.

3) any chance for deadline hold over? :)

MikeHepburn
04-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Hello. First of all I'm sorry if this questions was answered.

1) what is resolution for model sheets that must be submitted?

2) can i upload print resolution final image, lets say 3500 or 5000 pixel wide? Or it is not necessary.

3) any chance for deadline hold over? :)

Hi Dimitry,

1. For judging purposes 72 dpi will be OK. However, if it's a winning entry, print resolution will probably be requested - so be prepared for that.

2. Not necessary at this stage :)

3. It's highly unlikely, as the Mudbox trial period is coming to an end. And, we've got a bunch of other challenges coming up.

MikeHepburn
04-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Hello,

I have few questions about the competition.
Model sheet - showing front, back, side and 3/4 view of your final modelled and painted character

1. I have a question for this, if all pictures need to be at one picture, or one picture – front, second picture – back and the third one at another side, etc…

2. At the tab model sheet is written “not final picture”. How do these pictures looks like? As a print screen from mudbox or rendered mental ray? Can be there hair or sub surface scattering? Or it has to be clear model with diffuse texture?

3. How can I upload final or model sheet picture? Is it enough after uploading of picture switch between tabs, for example: final and data submitted? (I have never done this before, so I don’t want to do it wrong).

4. Final picture is 2560x1600 px. landspace, can be this final as 1600x2560 px portrait?

Thanx to answer

Hi Milan,

1. Just one picture is fine. Google "pixar model sheet" to get an idea.

2. This has been answered in this forum, seek and ye shall find.

3. After you have registered, you will see a big gold button "Upload Entry". Click that. You can upload your image. You then have 3 options. a/ Work in Progress. b/ Final image. c/ model sheet. Click the category you want, and add a description. If you have problems, email info@cgsociety.org with the URL.

4. Either is OK

SarwarZKhan
04-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Hey it would be really helpful if we can get a deadline extension.
Thanks

smallone3d
04-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Will be doing a short video depicting the character. Is there a place I can upload this in cg society or must I use youtube/vimeo or my page?
Thanks.
Countdown.....

MikeHepburn
04-10-2012, 05:23 AM
Will be doing a short video depicting the character. Is there a place I can upload this in cg society or must I use youtube/vimeo or my page?
Thanks.
Countdown.....

Hi Cesar,

Only paid members can upload videos. Youtube/vimeo is OK, as long as you mention that it is for this challenge.

MikeHepburn
04-10-2012, 05:24 AM
Hey it would be really helpful if we can get a deadline extension.
Thanks

Hi Sarwar,

Unfortunately it's incredibly doubtful that there will be an extension :(

MikeHepburn
04-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Just over 2 days to go. I'd strongly suggest that you start to get your entries in sooner rather than later. :)

MikeHepburn
04-12-2012, 03:02 AM
Thanks.
Countdown.....

Hi Cesar,
I'm a complete idiot. You can upload videos to the Challenge engine, just like you would any other image... (I was thinking of the CGPortfolio) ... I need sleep.:)
Cheers, Mike

EDIT:... you can't actually Upload videos to this challenge... I think I'll go to bed now:(

aNodia
04-12-2012, 02:47 PM
I was wondering if extension was possible? Even one week would be enough! Usually this type competitions have 1-2 weeks extensions... Hope I hear good news today :wip:

aNodia
04-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I was wondering if extension was possible? Even one week would be enough! Usually this type competitions have 1-2 weeks extensions... Hope I hear good news today :wip:

maxloegler
04-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Upload button!

oglu
04-13-2012, 08:25 AM
the countdown is saying there are 23h left... where is the upload button gone..?

MikeHepburn
04-13-2012, 08:44 AM
the countdown is saying there are 23h left... where is the upload button gone..?

looking into it now

MikeHepburn
04-13-2012, 08:50 AM
The big UPLOAD button is back!

Upload like a crazy thing!!!

maxloegler
04-13-2012, 08:53 AM
puhh :thumbsup:
thanks man

SarwarZKhan
04-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to extend this for few more hours? Cuz some of us have work in the weekdays and it's gets too hard to give time for this when at work things also need to be delivered before deadline.

Thanks

tswalk
04-13-2012, 11:45 PM
i'm ok with an extension but an extra week? i mean, even though i'm new here and i think my entry is probably over shadowed by many of the more competent or experienced artists, i wrapped up early to beat the deadline and would have loved to continue making things better.

... they also notified everyone ahead of time and warned people.

ipranawake
04-14-2012, 08:09 AM
To Keenly and MikeHepburn (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=201818),

From the beginning of the contest any of my images never uploaded to the system. So I have mailed My final beauty render, Model sheet and WIPs to "info@cgsociety.org". Please check that for me. There should be a mail with the subject "To_Keenly_Mudbox_Challenge_Final_Entry_ipranawake" .

I have used this system without any trouble in the past "Dreamscape" challenge but this time I cant explain why, I have tried different browsers and different computers but never had any luck.

omu
04-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi, I only found the button for uploading the final render image. So I attached the other required images as a post to the final image. Would that be OK? Or there is another way to upload them?

robin232323
04-14-2012, 10:04 AM
an extension would be fantastic, seen quite a few unfinished projects, i know its unlikely just wanted mention that i and probably a lot of other could put that time to good use...

bern20
04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
When can I expect results??

bendry
04-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Thanks to everyone who submitted work to the Mudbox Challenge. Judging will begin shortly... stay tuned.

ipranawake
04-16-2012, 07:03 AM
My image didn't get uploaded. I have complained it before and i was advised to send it to "Info@cgsociety.org". I have mailed it before the deadline but never got any reply or receive massage yet. I put a lot of effort to that image and I really need to know weather it will even get into judging !! .... Can someone reply me please ??

Elena-dv
04-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Hi! I have a little question.
Can I let somebody use my model in let's say a game? Not for profit of course. Is it allowed?

ipranawake
04-18-2012, 06:15 PM
And now with the challenge is closed, can we share the final images in other community forums and galleries (Other than CGSociety ) or submit our images to magazines ?

bendry
04-19-2012, 01:03 AM
You have non-exclusive rights to the artwork submitted for this challenge. For example, you could pass your image/character onto a game studio for inclusion into a game or a magazine as long as you disclose that they will not have exclusive ownership of the character, the terms below explain this:

15. The entrant grants Autodesk unlimited, non-exclusive permission to display, reproduce, and modify the entry and all Work in Progress images in any format. In such circumstances Autodesk will endeavour to notify the artist and give credit where possible.
16. The entrant grants Ballistic Media rights to use all entered works, in any media for sales, marketing and merchandising, provided full and correct credit for the artist clearly appears with said materials.
17. By entering the competition the entrant warrants that they are the sole copyright holder and indemnifies Ballistic Media and Autodesk from any subsequent claims that may arise regarding ownership, or any other claims that may impact upon the entered work.

cheers,
BEN

MikeHepburn
04-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi all,

Just waiting on the votes from a couple of judges. I'm aiming (hoping) for an announcement of the winners mid next week.

MikeHepburn
05-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Congratulations to not only all the winners but to everybody who participated!

It took a while for the judges to get through the awesome entries, but they finally decided on...

First:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/entry/Mantegra

$5000 cash from Autodesk
NextEngine 3D Scanner – 1 Scanner
Offload Studios – statue of winner’s entry
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 Video Card
CGWorkshops - Your choice of 2 CGWorkshops
Introducing Mudbox (book) by Ara Kermanikian

Second:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/entry/Nikizar

CGWorkshops - Your choice of 1 CGWorkshop
Ballistic Publishing D'Artiste Character Modelling 1,2 and 3

Third:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/entry/tofel

CGWorkshops - Your choice of 1 CGWorkshop

WACOM Winner:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/entry/drewbrand
Wacom Tablet – Intuos4 Medium

Honourable mentions:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/entry/fantasymaster
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/entry/Miguelo3D/final_image/9999636
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/entry/smallone3d
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/entry/cristianopolicarpo
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mudbox/entry/Guilome

ipranawake
05-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Wow !! congrats winners ... well deserved of course !!

maxloegler
05-03-2012, 06:23 AM
congratulation to the winners!

lukasvogl
05-03-2012, 06:48 AM
congrats to the winners. great works.

SunsSkull
05-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Congratulations to the Winners! Well done!

Ales-Prodigy
05-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Congratulations!!!:)

pilar-daniel
05-03-2012, 08:45 AM
congratulation to the winners!

oglu
05-03-2012, 09:40 AM
gratulation... awsome work...

smallone3d
05-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Congrats to the winners. Good job.

Ballo
05-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Fantastic choices! Congratulations to everybody!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

bendry
05-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Very radical artwork yeah!

tswalk
05-03-2012, 06:39 PM
nice work all.. congrats!

eng-omar
05-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Congratulations

changiz
05-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Congratulation to all entrys , specially the winners . :applause:
but in my opinion the guy in the 5th place (fantasymaster ) must get the first place . :shrug:

ZeinabNematzade
05-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Congratulations to everybody!:cool:

Kanga
05-07-2012, 03:33 AM
Man, some super work in this comp.
Well done!

Jonatan-Moonchild
05-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Congratulations to all, and especially to the winners of course! There was many great entries in this competition, so the winners should be very proud :). Well done!

Regards
Jonatan

bern20
05-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Congratulations to all