PDA

View Full Version : Career and study advice?

DillonJ93
01-23-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm currently a second semester student at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, MI. I'm not expecting anyone to point me right to what I should do. However, I'd more than appreciate if anyone could give me some advice.

I'm enrolled in the game art program, but I've been doubting myself in some aspects. In high school I was very oriented in art, calculus, and composition classes. In my personal life, video games became a huge passion of mine ever since I was little. So, I figured I could combine my love of left and right brain thinking and video games into the world of 3D.

So, my problem is that I cannot choose between 3D character animation, 3D character modelling, and 3D environment art. I'm not saying that these three are my only options, I'm more than up for any suggestions to combine my love of left and right brain thinking. To give you a sense of where I am now, I'm just finishing up all my foundation courses while taking an introduction to 3D and an intro 2D traditional animation as well so that I could get a feel for both worlds and I have a strong background in traditional drawing.

So far, from what I've observed on these classes, 3D modelling is extremely calming for me. This might sound like the most narrow-minded thing an artist can say, but I want to work towards a job that is realistically going to make me money. I don't mean a butt-load of cash, otherwise I would've gone to med school. I love art, I just want to be able to support myself and my passion. I originally came into art school really wanting to be a character modeller, but it seems like those jobs are lacking or really hard to get. I'm not saying that last sentence is in any way, shape, or form correct (I hope it's not haha), but I'd like your guys' input before I keep on going and going and... yeah.

Thanks a ton in advance guys, I've been stressing out a little too much since the winter semester started.

MrPositive
01-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Honestly, all those jobs (3D character animation, 3D character modelling, and 3D environment art) could garner financial security and flexibility.....if you are AWESOME. You probably haven't received any comments on your post yet because we see these things asked daily and without seeing your portfolio of work, it becomes almost impossible to mentor you onto the right path. :\ Regardless, I've always been of the belief that there are always some openings if your art quality is fantastic, you work well in a team, have experience, and meet deadlines. Saying that, character animation, in my opinion, takes the longest training (many have to get individual training to succeed like Animation Mentor, etc.), and probably pays slightly more than the other components of 3D. Nevertheless, there absolutely are people living comfortably in the 3D art field. :)

biglip225
01-24-2012, 02:16 PM
First of all Iím terribly sorry DillonJ93 for not replying your question I know this might be rude and all but Iím quite stuck in a similar situation and Iím really desperate and I got excited when Mr. perfect replied your question and if MrPositive (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?find=lastposter&f=283) me any kind of help it would be a huge favor

Well it goes kinda like this well Iím a 27 years old Algerian and Iíve lived all of my life here in Syria middle east and growing up as typical videogame generation kid all I ever wanted is to go to a collage and study this fascinating medium fortunately I was able to work for a local company here in Syria as a motion graphic designer slash 3d animator which pays barely 12 k yearly and I was able to learn so much stuff from it but no matter how much I try to learn I never felt satisfied about my work which was obviously due to lack to proper education now I feel totally stuck because itís been like seven years I was trying to save money to go to college and I only was able to save about 11 k which is not anywhere near any of the tuition fees for any school I happened to search for

So MrPositive (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?find=lastposter&f=283) hereís my demo could you please tell me where to go from here

http://vimeo.com/29362351 (http://vimeo.com/29362351)

DillonJ93
01-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Hey MrPositive,
I'm really glad you replied, because that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I love to work, I just want to know I'm not pointing my work into the wrong direction. :) My apologies for not having a portfolio up on here, most of my work is traditional and is being held away from me for an exhibit right now. I'm only in an introduction level of 3D and the most animation I've really done is a few 5 minute experimental stop motion videos. So far, I'm liking my 3D modelling class more than my traditional animation, so I might stick with modelling, but I'm keeping an open mind. I'll be posting more work in the critique sections later this semester and in the summer. Thanks again for responding.

MrPositive
01-24-2012, 09:47 PM
http://vimeo.com/29362351 (http://vimeo.com/29362351)

Honestly, I think you have far too many items in this demo reel. I remember my friend (ILM artist) telling me once that you will be judged on your worst piece in the demo reel. So by having 25 pieces, you are really giving people a chance to find something they don't like. I'd cut it to your 3-5 primo perfect favorite pieces. A couple of the animations at the end were my favorite 3D shots, one I recall was with the remote control cars? I also enjoyed the book opening 3D set and the falla at the end. Saying all that, it's hard for me to pick what is most suitable for what's needed because I don't really know what field or work you want to go into. With so many animations in this reel, you have animation, modeling, realistic, stylistic, commercials, broadcast, 2D motion, etc. It's all over the board here. I think it should become more focused for whatever positions you are specifically looking for. Just my opinion....

Well it goes kinda like this well Iím a 27 years old Algerian and Iíve lived all of my life here in Syria middle east and growing up as typical videogame generation kid all I ever wanted is to go to a collage and study this fascinating medium fortunately I was able to work for a local company here in Syria as a motion graphic designer slash 3d animator which pays barely 12 k yearly and I was able to learn so much stuff from it but no matter how much I try to learn I never felt satisfied about my work which was obviously due to lack to proper education now I feel totally stuck because itís been like seven years I was trying to save money to go to college and I only was able to save about 11 k which is not anywhere near any of the tuition fees for any school I happened to search for

Where do you want to go? Europe or US schools? Most of those schools are going to have loan and grant opportunities. Of course, you'd need a visa....Students in the US are basically broke and still go to school, so if you want it bad enough, I'm sure you could get it. You actually possibly could get some broadcast work in the US with this reel if you tidied it up a bit too. Shrug.

Edit: And just after I wrote this.......this gets plugged. :)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031171&utm_medium=plugblock&utm_source=cgtalk

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2012, 09:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.