PDA

View Full Version : Max to Maya Conversion - Lighting Problem

mrreed
01-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Hi,

I recently bought an irish bar made in 3dsmax. As I'm not very expierenced in 3dsMax, I tried an fbx conversion over to Maya, however I'm not getting the same lighting results.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4870/fbxs.jpg

Any advice on how I could get a better match?

Thanks.

ps. I've checked that both fbx's are up to date.

gregjenings
01-23-2012, 02:45 AM
try reducing light intensities as Maya and Max both has different algorithm used for lighting ,unless you are using mental ray lights in both cases

mrreed
01-23-2012, 04:51 AM
I reduced the lights intensity by half and I'm getting much results, thanks. Will continue to experiment.

Do any of my other point lights properties need to be altered, or is it not usually necessary after an fbx transfer?

snikt
01-24-2012, 03:30 AM
Hi,
Check if your lighting workflow was linear in MAX.I am hoping you have the same in Maya.

mrreed
01-24-2012, 08:56 PM
This is the latest screenshot in maya. Much better to what I had before... going to keep working at it.

Theres 14 point lights in the scene, after the fbx transfer I had to change the decay rate to quadratic, and raise the intensity to 4000-5000.

I'll probably stick to mayas software renderer from now on, not very experienced with mental ray.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6546/updatez.jpg

InfernalDarkness
02-10-2012, 07:26 PM
To be honest, you're going to have a long, arduous struggle either way you go, but using mental ray you can really achieve "realism" much more quickly. It's a pain in Maya, but Maya's software renderer is very outdated, unoptimized, and has no mechanism for indirect lighting at all.

In mental ray, pay attention to scene scale. Your lights should also be converted to spherical area lights; and using photon Global Illumination and Final Gather, you could have a decent lighting situation very rapidly. Another thing to be aware of regardless which renderer you're using is Linear Lighting Workflow (Linear WorkFlow, or LWF generally). This is partially why your scene appears so washed out and lacks contrast in the render you posted, which isn't half bad otherwise! But notice, there's no black in the scene at all, even in shadows?

Maya's got a very steep learning curve, so don't hesitate to ask questions and explore options.

Panupat
02-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Put each light in their own layers and turn them all off. Then work on 1 light at a time. Working with them all at once will only confuse you.

Just a note but I see no reason to convert the lights from MAX honestly. When you create light in Maya, the light node gets quite a number of connections to/from it. So it's not only easier to work with but safer too.

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2012, 02:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.