PDA

View Full Version : enviroment: Render of Sponza with Vray

^Lele^
11-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Ok peeps, here i go for the first time...
Beee graciousssss with me, will ya lot? :D
Kidding: please DO comment and criticise...

http://www.emanuele-lecchi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/Sponza_Vray.jpg

Max 5.1 +vray demo.

Sponza Lw model by Cgtechniques.com, conversion and cleanup for max done by hand, materials reworked from the original rgb color maps as distributed from CGtechniques.com.
One arealight, sky.
Rendertime around 35 minutes on an athlon 2000mhz.
DoF, exposure and noise are all done in post on the HDR output from the renderer.
Oh, almost forgot.
I LOVED this image by messiah:studio, and wanted to replicate it, possibly without the noise, and in a tad less time...

the messiah render :bowdown: (http://www.projectmessiah.com/x2/sponza_main.htm)

Blame messiah for ur loss of time watching this :p

L.

jdsb
11-15-2003, 05:42 PM
wow man,that is a very very nice render.that place looks verrry verry peaceful to me,i would love to be there and relax,the atmosphere is totally incredible,i really love it,
thanks a lot for posting this...:wavey:
:applause: :applause:

Dennispls
11-15-2003, 06:20 PM
looks pretty realistic
very good job my friend
i liek it

[TOY]Snoop
11-15-2003, 07:02 PM
Hi,

There is no texture on the roof surface?
I like the picture a lot, it has great depth in it :)

Greets

horoXhoro
11-15-2003, 07:14 PM
:bounce: woow...nice rendering pretty real
but the roof surface a little bit too smooth
add some textures on it will make the visual delicious :drool:

^Lele^
11-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Eheheh thanksalot!
That's definitely too kind, though, be nastier! :D

As for the roofs...
They seem to be yellow plaster (ie. smooth and even a surface), but unfortunately there are not many pictures of the real place, and way too many renders of it (mine included...)

all i found is this : search for "SPONZA" on the page, u'll get to the picture (http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/english/monuments.php) (it goes down at times, be patient...)

even though the lighting is quite different, the roofs are visible on the lower floor.

L.

Nikos
11-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Nice one Lele! :)
I think you've done a really good job on the lighting and I hope to see more of your stuff in the future!

RobW720
11-15-2003, 11:25 PM
I like the lighting, but the corners are too sharp. Champfer(sp) the edges a bit to give it a more real look, other than that the materials look good too.

Wicked_Chicken
11-16-2003, 05:39 AM
I like it. Like, alot :P

Wanna work on my colab as a Enviro moddler? :D Check Colab's for the Templars Project

The angle seens odd, to me at least, but it certainly doesnt take away from it. Great work.:drool:

GhostMouse
11-16-2003, 10:00 AM
That was beautiful.

I love the textures.

Great work.

^Lele^
11-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Sharp eye :D
The model, though, is straight from the CGtechniques competition library, so i didn't modify the geometry on purpose.

I'm working on a more detailed one at the moment...
My problem is that i'm not so patient with rendertimes, and the more detail i add, the harder it gets to carry on :D

Thanksalot for the compliments, you lot, anyway
:love:

L.

^Lele^
11-17-2003, 06:50 PM
And the updated one, where i took the liberty to add some bits...

http://www.emanuele-lecchi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/Sponza_Vray_Greens.jpg

L.

marciopmm
11-17-2003, 08:31 PM
Very nice piece of art!!

It looks like a place inside a monastery here in Sao Paulo ... I can still feel the cold wind blowing ...

Congrats ...

Njen
11-17-2003, 10:57 PM
I really like this image, but I feel that the vegetation has taken out the key visual point of the image which was the bright flat area on the ledge. I would consider putting the vegetation on the other side of the column, where it's a little darker. There the plant can catch a little more light for that side.

The bright points on the floor are a little distracting. I am pretty sure they are from the gaps in the columns with the angle of the light, but it looks a little strange.

I think the ceiling area on the right should be a little darker that the floor on the right. If it is bounced light, then it would be darker than the floor which it is being bounced from.

I agree with putting more texture on the ceiling.

I really like this though. Very peaceful.

^Lele^
11-20-2003, 12:15 PM
Uao, more crits!

Njen: i see your point.
I particularly love the interaction between light and the ivy, though.
The first image had a nice burn-out feel to it, imho, but felt empty (it was, after all a GI test, and nothing more).

The place is an actual building in Dubrovnik, so unless i feel like restoring the place, i'd leave the ceilings as uneventful yellow plaster :D

Some reference pictures can be found looking for images on google with the keywords "Sponza palace dubrovnik".

Link for lazy IE users (http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Sponza+palace+dubrovnik)

As for the light level on the ceiling...
Eh. U nailed the main problem of that model...
Lighting it with consistent lighting levels.

Where on normal scenes catering for one sun and a sky is simple enough (nail the lighting levels, turn radiosity on, render, looks allright with 1/2 bounces), this particular model is much harder than that...

All the light under the ceilings is a second to fifth GI bounce.
And if the light is moved but slightly, the whole place plunges more or less into darkness, given the buliding is extremely tall, with a very narrow courtyard (as long as the bulding is tall, wide as one archway).

I doubt u are, but should u be interested, i might upload u some other tests i did on the place to show you what i mean (maybe in the WIp, this time).

In all this, i think the levels on the ceiling are quite balanced (being it MUCH brighter a material than the stony floor, so with a higher light reflectance overall, and having the opposite wall in the courtyard catching most of the strong direct light) overall, but feel free to show me some levelled samples if u feel like!

L.

P.S. : There are some REALLY beautiful CG images of this place at this address Sponza official CG contest (http://hdri.cgtechniques.com/~sponza/show_list.php) for the curious ones.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.