PDA

View Full Version : 2D Fur (help !)

JoeRedstall
06-10-2002, 09:31 PM
Hey there everyone,

I've been mucking around with the old 2d fur shader in xsi, and I think i'd actually like to use it but there's a small prob: I've played with the settings to get the right kinda fur style, but when it comes to the model animating or deforming, the fur will shift and slide like it's not attached to the polygons.

Has anyone else used this shader before for animation, and do they have any ideas on how i can stabalise the shimmering ?

I suppose I could go with proper simulated hair, but I was so impressed with the speed of the 2d shader I figgured I could get it to work...

Thanks,

Joe

cmortier
06-10-2002, 11:44 PM
I've tried to use it, but couldn't get any good result. So I forget about it.

EdHarriss
06-11-2002, 02:34 PM
There is no way to fix it. The 2d Fur shader is only good for objects that don't move or deform. You'll probably have to use the XSI hair.

JoeRedstall
06-11-2002, 02:44 PM
Hey guys,

Cheers for the info, I had a feeling that would be the case but was hopefull anyway....

:sad:

Thanks again,

Joe

JasonD
06-21-2002, 06:44 PM
did you try freezing your model after applying the texturing coordinates?.... could it be that if you haven't frozen your model that the 2d hair is staying where the texturing coordinates tell them to tay instead of following the polygones?.... not sure if that might help you but that's what I thought of when I read your question.... hope it helps :)

JoeRedstall
06-21-2002, 09:13 PM
Cheers JasonD,

What you're saying is a logical answer to an illogical error. Not quite sure how the 2d fur shader works to be honest. If you do a turnaround of a model the fur will stay in place and look 3d (so I don't think it's a simple 2d texture image being applied). When I move my model my texture does actually follow, so I know that's not the problem as well.

Thanks for the input though,

Joe

JasonD
06-21-2002, 10:01 PM
my teacher says it's a post process after your 3d is done rendering so it wouldn't and won;t follow morphs or whatever your doing.... sorry couldn;t help..

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.