PDA

View Full Version : Idea fora future challenge.....

RobertoOrtiz
01-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Where is the Doctor?
Show the Tardis in the coolest enviroment you can think of....

mustan9
02-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I think fxwars needs to switch to micro-challenges that take about a week to do, and then use those challenges to attract followers again. Small things that focus on problem solving rather then this epic style challenges that are a waste of time.

Practical challenges that relate to real world challenges people are going to face in the work place. Fxwars needs to focus on skill development, learning and sharing knowledge.

Things like bullet impacts, water drops on the side of beer bottles, transitioning objects using particles, morphing objects from one thing into other. These are things people are going to be faced with at some point in their VFX career.

Don't pick topics that require modeling, video reference footage, matte painting or other skills outside VFX but make up a large percentage of the work needed to complete the challenge.

Also, not everyone can do smoke, water or explosions. So pick challenges that most 3D packages can do on equal ground. It should be something that Maya, 3ds Max, C4D, Houdini and Blender can all do out of the box. That way we can see everyone's different approaches to a common problem.

RobertoOrtiz
02-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Valid point...
we can do that AFTER the current challenge.
I like your ideas a lost, so please posta list of mini micro challenges you would like to see.

mustan9
02-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Valid point...
we can do that AFTER the current challenge.
I like your ideas a lost, so please posta list of mini micro challenges you would like to see.

Is there a challenge running now? I didn't realize. What's the current topic?

RobertoOrtiz
02-16-2012, 12:42 PM
I reposted this today.
The Wave challenge has been Shelved.... (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=1035794)
I forgot that older messages will just go away if not tended.

We shelved the wave about a month ago.

Leru
02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
I mostly agree with mustan9. Micro-topics (but with a challenge twist to it) are far better.

But I can't agree with the statement that there should be a software factor. I mean, in real world you just pick the most sufficient way to do an effect.

Don't get me wrong, watching different approaches is a great thing! But isn't there a final visual effect that matters the most? :)

RobertoOrtiz
02-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Guys we wil ldo for the next challenge the Roswell crash...

A person can take the shot as far as they want, and I will be providing the model.
And I would not worry about me making the challenges software specific.
I use LW, ZBrush and Bender for all my work, so I know how it feels to work with 3rd party programs.
For suture challenges I prefer a hybrid approach, some simple challenges with some epic challenges.
But after the Roswell challenge we will be doing a couple more straightforward challenges.

So please do post your mini challenge ideas.
We need them.

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2012, 06:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.