PDA

View Full Version : Former ILM and Kerner Optical Staffers Launch 32ten Studios

RobertoOrtiz
01-18-2012, 11:54 PM
This is AWESOME news..
Quote:
"A group of former employees of ILM and Kerner Optical have announced the launch of a new company, 32TEN Studios, which will be based at the former site of ILM, at 3210 Kerner Boulevard in San Rafael, CA. The new venture will be employee owned and will be headed by industry veterans Tim Partridge, who will serve as President, and Greg Maloney who will serve as COO.
The new company will rent its historic soundstage to outside projects, and will also provide a new home base for many of the elite model makers and practical effects technicians of Marin County, who were previously employed by ILM, and, later, by Kerner Optical.

Members of the 32TEN Practical FX Team have created movie magic for over 20 years on this historic soundstage, starting with “The Empire Strikes Back,” and continuing on with “The Return of the Jedi,” the “Back to the Future” trilogy, the “Pirates of the Caribbean” films, “War of the Worlds,” “Indiana Jones 4,” “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,” “Transformers,” “Terminator Salvation,” the 2009 “Star Trek,” “Iron Man II,” and dozens more."

http://www.awn.com/news/people/former-ilm-and-kerner-optical-staffers-launch-32ten-studios

flipnap
01-19-2012, 02:09 AM
god, i miss matte lines and cloud tanks

axiomatic
01-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Is it just me or do other VFX professionals out there wish they could train in practical FX?

I remember going back to university when I was 23 and studying photography. I'd been working as a digital retoucher for while already so when we got to work with real film it was an awesome experience. Other students were bored with it and wanted to move on to digital ASAP but for me it was a great learning experience.

I feel that way about practical modelling. I'd love to do it.

grrinc
01-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Practical effects are actually my first love. I don't really keep hold of things for sentimental reasons, but all my old effects books from the 80's, and copies of Fangoria magazine, are still often revisited.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2012, 05:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.