PDA

View Full Version : Lighwave can't save my image render

yuchenpan
11-15-2003, 01:59 AM
PLEASE HELP. i have this 5200x4800 resolution image that i need to render for print, for the render option, i set to imageviewer FP and save location to a folder (desktop), after days of render time, the render status bar indicates the render has completed, but the imageviewer didn't show up, and i can't even find the saved image file. (PSD 32bit)
The imageviewer does show up when i render in low resolution, but still can't find the image file that i assigned in render output. I am guessing i might choose the file format wrong but still can't figure out the imageviewer problem, this is my first time to render this big resolution so if anyone could tell me what the problem is that would be fantastic :beer:

leigh
11-15-2003, 02:08 AM
When you hit Render after setting up all your rendering options and save path, did you hit F9 or F10? I had the same problem the other day (also with a massive render, incidently), but when I used F10 to render instead, it did save the image.

Using the normal F9 render doesn't save the image to the specified path. Also, I think the Image Viewer has a problem showing really big renders.

LittleFenris
11-15-2003, 02:12 AM
Yeah, if you hit F9 you have to manually save the file or it doesnt' get saved. Not sure why it wont show it when its done though...but a 5200x4800 image might be causing issues with the image viewer in LW.

KillMe
11-15-2003, 02:14 AM
hmm jsut curious whats the difference between the image viewer and the image viewer fp - sure its in the manual but not that bothered lol

projectcoil
11-15-2003, 02:21 AM
Image Viewer FP uses 128bit precision 32bit per component colour plus alpha. Standard Image Viewer uses 32bit precision 8bit per component colour plus alpha.

projectcoil
11-15-2003, 02:34 AM
You'll need at least 762MB of available frame buffer memory on top of what Lightwave+OS used up to display an image 5200x4800 at 128bit precision. So unless you have around 2 GB of main memory all it's going to do is hang. Hope that answers your question.

policarpo
11-15-2003, 02:36 AM
i've found from past experience that doing an F9 with a large format image requires that you render a low res first if your intention is to save it from the render FP view.

it sucks, but your best bet is to always render a low res to F9, then keep it active, assign your path via the render settings and F10 it to insure it saves and turn off the render preview and render FP function.

RAM is a big issue with large renders, but once you do the devil claw salute to insure that the sacrifice will result in success, you can get through the horror show. :)

feel free to email me if you need more info.

projectcoil
11-15-2003, 02:52 AM
And uh, for people using textures. Don't use JPEG compression on your textures. When it's loaded into RAM it takes up the same amount of memory as a non compressed 24-bit format such as BMP or TGA. The only savings you get is hard drive space.

yuchenpan
11-15-2003, 03:41 AM
WOW, Thanks for the valuable infos everyone! Those are just what i need to know (something that school won't teach u:scream: )

i just did a low resolution render by hitting F10, without imageveiwerFP and it saved correctly, EXCELLENT :cool:

so I will begin my high resolution render tonight and hopefully it will come out aight. by the way i only have 1 gig DDR ram so maybe that's why it won't show up, arrr, if only i knew this earlier :hmm:

js33
11-15-2003, 08:35 AM
I would always do an F10 render if the image is bigger than screen size or you are saving a sequence and turn off render preview for the final render. The only thing I use F9 for is render previews. But I almost always render sequences as opposed to still images.

Cheers,
JS

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.