PDA

View Full Version : What is your optimal system maintenance software package?

singularity2006
11-15-2003, 01:53 AM
For those of you who don't like Symantec's Norton System Works, what is your favorite piece-meal software package for system maintenance? Currently, I'm on Norton AntiVirus 2004 in conjunction w/ RegCleaner from Microsoft (or was that RegFixer?), and Exec Soft's Diskeeper Pro. Is there something else you folks might want to recommend or do you think SystemWorks works great?

Bluplet
11-15-2003, 03:29 AM
Personally, to keep my stuff all running nice and smoothly I run the following programs at least once a week.

Executive Software Diskeeper
Jouni Vuorio's Regcleaner
AVG Antivirus 6.0 free edition
Spybot Search & Destroy

I'm not fond of anything from Symantec, too much bloat for my tastes.

kylekwan
11-16-2003, 02:45 AM
I have been using norton for quite sometime, but the problem is, the programme took a lot of system resources, and it makes my system slow... (not sure bout the others)

Currently i'm using:-

AVG Antivirus 6.0 Free Edition
Advanced System Optimizer by Systweak (Evaluation)
Executive Software Diskeeper Pro

It makes my system go find. I even tested these programme on a slower machine, it makes the whole system go so smoothly...

But the advanced system optimizer is quite troublesome. It doesn't have a function that would do all task in a button.

Thanks.... (usually run once per week, but if pc slow, then i run it twice)

singularity2006
11-16-2003, 04:54 AM
wow, u seem to like AVG quite a bit. That's the first I've heard of it. Can you give me more details about how it works? Does it do script blocking as well as basic heuristic detection of viruses?

kylekwan
11-16-2003, 02:48 PM
You could find more info here... http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

It has a heuristic setting in the its control centre... i guess it is what you meant...

Only one simple and obvious thing that really difference from Norton, which is, it doen't took up so much resources and it respond faster to your command...

Maybe i'm just a geek for speed... but i think, anyone would also love to have a much more faster virus scanner...

And for more detail on how it works... i can't tell you much... i'm not that technically savvy on how it work...

sorry...

quinox
11-16-2003, 05:47 PM
To keep my system running smooth I always use a AV prog (NOD32/Panda) and I installed Windows on a seperate partition... after a month or 2 I do a format and within 2 hours my system is running as fast/stable as hell again

singularity2006
11-16-2003, 07:29 PM
u format EVERY month or two???? Isn't that a bit excessivE??? :surprised

anyhow, anyone else use AVG AntiVirus? And has anyone used NAV 2004 standalone as opposed to the SystemWorks package? Comments?

kwshipman
01-17-2004, 05:05 AM
ah, there is nothing quite like digging up old threads;)

But in light of my recent virus attack, thought that I really need to beef up my security. The only thing that I had before was Norton AV and it wasnt set to automatically scan.

So after reading through this thread, I have AVG AntiVirus as main AV, Norton 2000 as a back-up(probably use it monthly or so) and Kerio Person Firewall.

But what about uninstalling software, and registry editing software? I see that three of you use Executive Software Diskeeper, what all does this do, how well do you think it works, and are there any better options?

Also, for firewalls, how do I know what to allow and what not to allow?

singularity2006
01-17-2004, 05:38 AM
Diskeeper is a great app in that it does some blazingly fast work for defragmenting hard disk drives as well as the master file table and other things on the disk. That's about all it does.

As for firewalls, kinda hard to say. I don't have a manual one that I configure manually, it's all on auto so yeah...

GregHess
01-17-2004, 03:22 PM
In these steps...

1) Make sure the Os is up to date.
2) Manually clear out all temp files, cookies, hidden temps, hidden windowsupdate folders, old backup temps, inet files, hidden inet files, etc. The only way you can get all of it, is if you do it manually.

I've yet to find a 3rd party "cleanup" that gets 100% of it.

3) Run lavasoft's ad-aware. (Make sure you update it)
4) Run regcleaner 3.4 (hard to find now)
5) Use a defragger you like. I'm a big fan of using embedded stuff, if its available, and if it does a decent job. I usually just use win2k and winxp's default defragger, as their both based off diskkeeper lite.

I don't run a virus scanner on my workstation, waste of resources. I keep it updated, and then offline. I'll scan it over the network with another machine if I suspect something.

MattClary
01-17-2004, 04:17 PM
I run McAfee Enterprise AV 7.0, am careful about what I download, and Fdisk about once a year. :)

heavyness
01-17-2004, 05:51 PM
i use...

1] Ad-Aware
2] jv16 PowerTools [clean the reg]
3] f-prot AV [takes up NO resources, very nice]
3.5] http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
4] windows defrag
5] a blank cd-r to backup files

i do scans and clean-ups about every week, sometimes i skip a week. but i went to start up jv16 PowerTools and it told my i was running an old version and it wouldn't start. so i went to dl a new copy and now they are charging $29.95 for it [http://www.jv16.org/]. guess i'll be looking for a new one since i didn't use all of the tools within jv16 to justify a $30 price tag.

GregHess
01-17-2004, 07:39 PM
kole,

You can still find regcleaner 3.4 floating around the web. (Might be 4.3, I forget which).

Its the last version of the jv16 freeware regcleaner.

IMO its far superior to all the cleaners their currently charging for.

loop29
01-17-2004, 08:28 PM
I use Symantec Antivirus and really like the realtime scan engine, it got everything that could be a danger for my system. I donīt bother about regcleaning since if something is screwed up I go search for myself for the suspicious regentries.
One tool that helped me much is Trojan Remover, once I had an infected PC that didnīt let me install Symantec Antivirus (guess it was afraid of) and Trojan Remover found the malicious code and removed it, Iīm not sure if it was a trojan but it did some changes to the registry which Trojan Remover returned to default.
As a firewall I use Zonealarm Pro, that is incredible tool too. I donīt need any popup stopper or anything, it is all done by Zonealarm.

default defrag tools of Win XP are working good for me too. I donīt like to reinstall my system a lot, so I make big use of the system restore points built in XP before I install programs or drivers. If something is screwed up I only have to get back to the latest point. But be warned, I figured out that it removes files that were added somewhere on the HD too. I couldnīt find one document that I was sure that I donwloaded that one.

regards

Giles3
01-17-2004, 11:48 PM
I use:
-RegSupreme
-Trojan Remover
-Advanced System Optimizer

And the performance of my system greatly increases:eek:

[BR]TADŪ
01-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Hi

For anti virus I use Norton Anti Virus 2004.
For PC maintenance I use System Mechanic 4 Professional

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

heavyness
01-18-2004, 02:48 AM
OT: kinda... does anyone know how to Defrag more then one disk, in a row? i have two HDs and windows only lets me do one, then i have to manually tell it to do the next [i defrag when i'm not home]. thanks.

kylekwan
01-18-2004, 07:04 AM
AFAIK, the windows default defrag engine only lets your defrag one logical drive...

you'll need third party software such as diskeeper, norton or bla bla bla... to perform defrag on more logical drive....

just to bear in mind, some of the software might only let your defrag 4 drive, some are 8 and some are unlimited... you need to know the strenght of the software that you're going to use... :)

have a good day... hope this help

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.