PDA

View Full Version : Motion Dynamics setup step-by-step

Mike RB
11-14-2003, 11:37 PM
From a brief conversation on #messiah3D on IRC....

<Mike__RB>
how do you set up basic motion dynamics on a couple bones, like for a tail, or antenna ?

<rongrswld>
1) add the motion dynamics effect to the chain

2) with the motion dynamics effect selected, hold shift and click on the first bone in the world view

3) click the make branch spring (to create springs between each item in the chain)

4) to pin the start of the chain, click the greyed out 's' on the first spring

5) go to animate and hit play, the chain will swing around with dynamics, but will probably not be what you want

<Mike__RB>
the make branch springs is always greyed out.

<rongrswld>
check step 2. when you shift-select *in the world view* the parent object, its name should appear next to it and the branch springs button should become enabled

<Mike__RB>
ok it works now.

<rongrswld>
6) go back to the Springs block and expand the springs, you'll see the bone objects grouped underneath, indicating which two objects (or one in the case of a hold spring) the spring affects

6b) expand the objects and you will see the channels that are affected by the MotionDynamics effect for that object

6c) uncheck the translation channels for the bones to force them to solve for rotation only

7) hit play :)

<Mike__RB>
cool. thanks a lot..

<rongrswld>
no problem... back to lurking...

chikega
11-15-2003, 01:29 AM
Thanks for sharing, Mike RB! :)

Stoehr
11-16-2003, 03:10 AM
Holy Cow! That's easy. Thanks Mike.

Stoehr
11-16-2003, 03:28 AM
Does anyone know anymore about utilizing the Hold Springs?

Julez4001
11-16-2003, 05:42 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100186

Check out my fat jiggle quick tut for more info on hold springs

Jonathan
11-18-2003, 03:17 PM
Damn I just wrote a griping post about HOW TO in the motion dynamics and damn it all I look down a bit and here's a post. I deleted my post so now I'm going to try this out.

Qslugs
04-27-2004, 05:17 AM
BUMP! I need this info sometime tomorrow night :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.