PDA

View Full Version : Improving Creativity and Artwork Through Sketchbooks

Andrewty07
01-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Fairly recently I started working on routinely drawing in a sketchbook using a regular set of pencils from 2H to 8B and a handful of Charcoal pencils to try something new. This all started up after I watched a video on vimeo where it was mentioned to draw something cool everyday. It is a pretty simple logic to make something you personally enjoy along with routinely refining small skill aspects and trying new things.

So firstly I am curious if anyone else uses charcoal and has a recommendation toward keeping it under control in a sketch book, I have used generic hair spray as a fixative previously and wondered if the same stuff should work with charcoal without making pages stick or affecting the drawings?

Next I was curious if anyone else routinely had a traditional sketch book maintained and how they decide on drawing things or creating their own sketches? I know there are plenty around the internet to check out, I just felt like having a little open discussion on where others find inspirations and ideas. I feel that sketch books are quite a personal thing typically and a little haven for artists to explore, practice, and refine their skills while exploring their creativity unhindered.

Lunatique
01-18-2012, 01:16 AM
You can use anything you like in your studies/practices, as long as the tools fit the intent. For example, if you are mainly sketching lines, then using charcoal probably wouldn't be as suitable as pencil or pen. But if you are mainly dealing with values, then it might be the reverse, depending on the style you're going for.

They do sell proper fixatives for artists. Any reason why you don't use them?

The important thing is to remember this:

Just because you are sketching in your sketchbook a lot, does not guarantee you'll actually learn and improve effectively. You could end up mindlessly doodling without purpose or a structured learning plan/strategy. You must have a plan/strategy, such as listing all of your weaknesses and then tackling them one-by-one, with a clear purpose. Otherwise, it's possible to fill up stacks of sketchbooks but not having improved nearly as much as you should have.

Andrewty07
01-18-2012, 03:59 AM
The fixative limitation is just due to availability in my area due to work, ill be able to have access to regular art stores in a couple months so I will probably wait to do charcoal in the sketchbook. Based on your advice I will brainstorm my weakest points to develop themes for each day or week. That way I am not getting tired of the same thing and hopefully progressing in artistic skill instead or regressing.

As a little aid in trying to progress my skills I routinely try to reference and follow projects in "How to Draw What You See" by Rudy De Reyna and "Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson". If yourself or anyone else has further personal recommendations I am glad to listen, thank you very much for your insight Robert.

tankup
01-21-2012, 07:16 PM
books that i love to sketch on is moleskine, great quality and durability worth buying it

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2012, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.