PDA

View Full Version : Question about messiah connectivity

Commiekeebler
11-14-2003, 10:02 PM
Hi all!

I'm getting my licensed copy of the full version of this program sometime in december, but I already have a stupid question that needs asking.

You've been warned. :)

I'm going to convince my boss and coworkers to use messiah for animation of existing production work. That means I'm going to have to learn this package really well before I can even begin to demonstrate its capabilities. The basic idea is that it needs to save time - say, on skinning.

The possible problem we could get is this. Our studio uses Max and Maya for just about everything, so there's inertia of experience. People don't like learning new things. Although, this is a small studio, so inertia isn't unbearable.

Okay, onto the question. I know messiah very well imports models from other software. How about exporting the animation back out? Can I render in Maya or Max what's been animated by Messiah?

Also, would it be useful in animating low-poly characters for real-time applications (i.e. 3D games, like first person shooters and real time strategy, etc): so how easy is that to do from programmer's perspective?

This is a key problem, because we already have pipelines from Max and Maya for this... so if animation could be gotten out of messiah and into max, it'd be a real time saver.

And time's money...

maks
11-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Hi,

I assume that you're talking about getting bone animation into max or maya when you talk about games. There has been a discussion going on about that subject on the yahoo list recently, so you may do a search. To resume that discussion: out of the box messiah is a bit limited in exporting key animation, there's the xform plugin wich does that, but it's not really suited for exporting hierarchical information. Lyle from pmG was thinking about different methods of possible future export routines for games, so they (or someone else) might be cooking something for that purpose. Personally I am working in a game company where we have to export messiah animation to Character Studio bipeds, from where the animation is exported to the game engine. We created a simple bvh export tool for messiah wich does a pretty good job if you stick to certain limitations of the bvh format and the way CS imports it.
We released this for free, so you might take a look at it: http://maks.free.fr/tech/FXS_BVH_Convert.zip

I hope this helps a bit.
M.

fwtep
11-15-2003, 12:24 AM
Getting deformation or translation animation out is no problem at all, that's how all messiah work was done before messiah:studio was released.

Getting the kind of data out that you might need for games is another matter and without knowing any specifics it's hard to give a real answer. For example, you can export the messiah bone weight data, and you can export the animation and convert it to the BVH mocap format.

Fred

Commiekeebler
11-16-2003, 08:45 AM
Thanks guys!

What limitations of BVH format are we talking about?

Also, AFAIK, BVH can be imported into Max; I've worked with bvh files and Max... not so sure about Maya...

although, bone weight data in and of itself could be really useful in other apps, where it can take a full day or two to skin a complex character!

maks
11-16-2003, 11:27 AM
The limiteations of the BVH format are, that you have to build your rig in a certain way so that the BVH data gets exported correctly, and Character Studio e.g. only supports a very restricted version of the BVH format. But if you plan your pipeline carfully, there shoudln't be too much of a problem - as I said, for us it works pretty well, and BVH export-import routine is pretty straight forward. I suggest that you just download the tool, there's a little doc coming with it that explains all that, as well as an example rig that you can play with :)
Then again, we only used the BVH format because we had to stick with character studio since all characters were already rigged there. But if you are free to chose your pipeline, nothing prevents you from writing a custom export module for messiah with its API, that exports all relevant informations directly to the game engine, that's what we'll more than likely do in our next production. :)

M.

maks
11-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Commiekeebler
although, bone weight data in and of itself could be really useful in other apps, where it can take a full day or two to skin a complex character!

Just to precise: ou can export weight data pretty easily through messiahs .mbw format, or through the API :)

M.

Labuzz
11-16-2003, 11:39 AM
he Maks tu travailles chez qui? juste par curiosité:rolleyes:

maks
11-16-2003, 12:06 PM
A Galilea, à Grenoble - toi t'es ou? :)

M.

Labuzz
11-16-2003, 12:10 PM
Comme le monde est petit, je suis à Grenoble aussi... :beer:

maks
11-16-2003, 12:19 PM
??? On s'est deja vu? T'es deja passé à GLL...? Tu m'intrigues la ;)

M.

Labuzz
11-16-2003, 12:28 PM
En fait je suis originaire de Grenoble mais jai bossé chez Tiwak à Montpellier. Etant donné que Tiwak s'est bien cassé la gueule je suis de retour à Grenoble...En attendant de me tirer à l'étranger je pense.

Réponds moi en private car la c'est franchement offTopic

Commiekeebler
11-16-2003, 03:45 PM
pas de probleme... :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.