PDA

View Full Version : Creating realistic outdoor lighting mental ray

Samuraigunkid
01-13-2012, 12:16 AM
I been wondering how to go about creating a realistic sun light using mental ray my scene is a island in the sky and is above the clouds but i want it to have a warm color feel to it. Anyone who could help me achieve this idea of mine? i Really want to learn about shaders and how to use them.

Cgraider
01-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Use IBL hdr lighting emission or Mray Sun/sky , and a photographic lens for camera,
for the warm feeling set White balance to bluish color in your lens setting.

btw its really hard to achieve realistic exterior lighting in mental ray .
use Vray or Maxwell if u can .

JayHoo
01-18-2012, 01:43 PM
With 2012 you can use the new IBL mode. Search for "enjoyMentalRayStringOptions".

3DRenderer
01-19-2012, 01:07 AM
When I model exteriors I was having a lot of problems too. Then I read up on sIBL at hdrlabs.com and that seemed to be my solution. The hdr will convert 2 other maps, (environment, and lighting) as well as the hdr. Then when you import into your scene everything is all setup for you. Your sun (direction light), mip_rayswitch, controls, and more. My scenes have rendered at lot faster and results have been better. There is a thread on this forum all about it. Very useful tool. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=798202&highlight=sibl

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2012, 01:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.