PDA

View Full Version : Cycles OpenCL: any info?

cignox1
01-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Hi all,
does anyone know where can I get info about the OpenCL version of Cycles (status, scheduling, comparative tests against the CUDA version and so on?)

Thank you!

ChukChuk
01-11-2012, 04:40 PM
From what i understand Brecht is waiting for fixes in graphic drivers before continuing opencl development.

http://code.blender.org/index.php/2012/01/cycles-roadmap/

cignox1
01-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Thank you. Being an AMD card owner, I'm a bit disappointed by the fact that the next rendering engine for the best OS 3d software out there uses a proprietary technology only available on half the GPU...

I suppose that they had good reasons to move this way, but I also suppose that if they can use OCL for the new compositing system and Luxrender uses OCL for rendering, then it is not all that bad :buttrock:

Anyway, let's wait and hope :thumbsup:

Thank you!

ChukChuk
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm in the same boat got a new laptop 2 weeks ago but went with an AMD card instead of Nvidia. just hoping that AMD sort themselves out and get these drivers up and running.

DanielWray
01-13-2012, 08:09 PM
You can still use the CPU which isn't slow by any means, well unless you're running a single core Athlon or a Pentium 4.

cignox1
01-14-2012, 12:16 PM
You can still use the CPU which isn't slow by any means, well unless you're running a single core Athlon or a Pentium 4.

That's true, but is clear that rendering engines are going to move to GPUs so using OpenCL would have been a safer choice (imho) in the long run...

DanielWray
01-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Not necessarily, GPU rendering in Cycles is primarily for live-editing.

It's been mentioned a few times that getting some of the features to work on the GPU will take considerable time, and I think the general census is that it's not worth the extra effort, as that time can be spent making the engine more optimized & feature rich.

An example is OSL, from what I've read this will be hard to implement with GPU rendering, so at some point, maybe, we'll have OSL capabilities but not on GPU.

Of course for a lot of users using the GPU will be fine, but complex scenes with massive textures, geometry caches and so on will not be viable for GPU rendering until cards come with a dozen GB's of RAM, 8GB+.

Not to mention the rapid change in architecture and support of features.

cignox1
01-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Mmm... good point! I did non know that there were differences in features exposed by the GPU and CPU implementations...

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2012, 02:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.