PDA

View Full Version : Projected animation resolution?

s0real
11-14-2003, 11:16 AM
Hi.
i'm currently working on an animation that will be projected digitally from a laptop.

i haven't got much experience in this area.

should i render the anim at the screen res of the laptop for it to play at a decent quality - or can it be lower res then played in fullscreen mode?

i think the final thing will be a quicktime mov fullscreen presentation but i'm not even 100% sure about that at the moment...

any useful hints would be appreciated...

JDex
11-14-2003, 02:08 PM
It really depends on how fast the computer it will play on is.

You are usually safe if you render a QT .mov, sorenson3 codec @ 1440 kbps, 320x240 and then play at full screen. The best thing to do is try to get the laptop or whatever and test how it plays and looks before the presentation.

Pharaun
11-14-2003, 02:09 PM
Yeah, full screen is the way to go, with a 1024*768 resolution or higher. I've done some projected presentations through that resolution, and it worked pretty well.

Also, if it's a lower resolution that the actual screen size and it's enlarged to full screen, it'll be stretched and lose quality.

BxHBxH
11-14-2003, 02:53 PM
sOreal,

Most of the stuff we work on here is projected in this same way via a laptop onto a screen. I'd say 95% of the time we create our assets at NTSC resolution (720x480) - so we can dump to VHS if we have to in an emergency (laptop fails, projector fails, room's too bright for projection, etc. etc.). We've found that on most laptops blowing up a 720x480 or 640x480 MPG1 to play full screen susually doesn't look that bad - AND - it plays smoothly - which is the kicker really. If you go for higher resolutions you may start losing frames during playback - which doesn't look good at all.

Hope this helps.

stephen2002
11-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by JDex
You are usually safe if you render a QT .mov, sorenson3 codec @ 1440 kbps, 320x240 and then play at full screen.

QT tends to be more CPU intensive than a comprable AVI; espeically when you scale the video. Stay away from it if you are targeting low-end hardware. Overall I find the quality/bitrate ratio is also seriosly lacking.

JDex
11-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Really? My pretty extensive presentation background has found completely opposite results... AVI's tend to stutter and stagger far more often for us and also be far more artifacted at that bitrate.

Hey maybe we've found a new war... instead of AMD/Intel, Mac/Windows ;)

My prefered method nowadays is actually burning a DVD-R w/ Mpeg2 and play it in a normal DVD player. Wirks beautifully and you never need to worry about the system.

imashination
11-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by JDex
Really? My pretty extensive presentation background has found completely opposite results... AVI's tend to stutter and stagger far more often for us and also be far more artifacted at that bitrate.

Hey maybe we've found a new war... instead of AMD/Intel, Mac/Windows ;)

My prefered method nowadays is actually burning a DVD-R w/ Mpeg2 and play it in a normal DVD player. Wirks beautifully and you never need to worry about the system.

1) Whats the point of using the screen resolution when it is the projectors res you should be looking at?

2) Quicktime is fine in many cases, but the Windows player is shite compared to what it could be doing. Search for and download 'Real Alternative' it includes a great media player which makes QT look crud.

3) 1024 is probably a bit overkill. Assuming you are using a standardish projector (sub $5,000) then you won't notice much difference past 640 or 800 when animated.

4) Making DVDs is begging for trouble. You can scratch the disc, it might be incompatible with the laptop, cheap DVD drives will stutter, they can skip. I really can't see any potential benefit of burning it to a disc when theres a much better harddrive sat there.

5) For presentations, aim for either QT Sorenson 3 @ 80% quality max bit rate 3,000. Or ideally AVI divx 5 @ 2000 bit rate

JDex
11-14-2003, 05:32 PM
I don't know why you could possibly have a problem with a cheap dvd player... we have been providing cheap $80 Apex DVD players with our presentations and they work beautifully. Plug it in to the projector and hit play... As long as you use DVD-R any pro or consumer model player will play it and it will be amazing DVD quality.

As far as Divx... that is great for web, but boy is the artifacting noticeable on a big screen (same w/ mpeg4).

s0real
11-17-2003, 06:43 PM
thanks for all the replies guys.

in the end i rendered the anim as 800x600 as that's the rez of the laptop when played through our projector and saved as a QT mov file - that way if i have to burn it to a CD and give it to the client they won't have any problems playing it back (no codecs to DL, free player etc - hopefully pretty foolproof...)

burning a dvd wasn't really an option in this case as the laptop i'll be using doesn't have a dvd drive, but i agree that it's a good way to go if i was using more up to date hardware.

cheers.

Pharaun
11-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by imashination
2) Quicktime is fine in many cases, but the Windows player is shite compared to what it could be doing. Search for and download 'Real Alternative' it includes a great media player which makes QT look crud.

You know, the thing about Quicktime is the codec. As for the player, I'd suggest Media Player Classic (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/) - it's just awesome, quick, and doesn't come up with any M$ sh!t.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.