PDA

View Full Version : export armature and weight paint data from blender to 3ds max/maya?

petersk
01-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi, I have a human model, done in Blender, that I want to share with people working in 3ds max and Maya. For the mesh and uv's and to a degree for materials and textures .obj export works flawlessly.
The problem is that I don't know how / if I can export the rig, weight paint, etc, so that the other person gets a fully working model.
I can't run 3ds max, nor Maya on my machine, so testing is problematic too.
Can you tell me which file format and tools I should use to transfer as much data as possible between these applications and if it is at all possible?

kattkieru
01-09-2012, 05:54 PM
FBX not working for you?

petersk
01-09-2012, 06:37 PM
I don't have experience with it and my possibilities to test it are very limited. I'd like to know to what extend I can rely on it practically. What works and what not? Is it usable for real work? Is the generated rig usable as such in the other application? In other words - what is the overall impression of somebody who has used it extensively?

kattkieru
01-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I've been using it for over a year... pretty much since it was added to the trunk. It's stable and probably your easiest bet for sending weights from Blender to Maya. The down side is that the rig won't export -- just weighted bones. No constraints or control bones will come in, in other packages as anything other than bones. That can't be fixed without extensive scripting as far as I know.

You can try Collada but I've never been able to load anything with joints in Collada in Blender and Maya's Collada importers are, in my experience, completely unreliable.

I assume you're doing this to save on weighting... So I'd go with FBX.

edit: Oh, and as far as testing goes both Maya and Max have 30-day trials.

petersk
01-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Thank you very much kattkieru! That was the info I needed.
Everything I read about Collada suggest that it is unusable and support for it will be dropped soon. Instead there are some efforts directed towards Alembic, but that's another story and as I understand it it is for mesh data exchange only - no bones, materials, textures, etc.
I know about the trials, but couldn't run any of them on my Gentoo linux box - tried with Wine and VirtualBox too, but no success.

CGTalk Moderation
01-10-2012, 08:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.