PDA

View Full Version : Softer Shadows?

AntoineMDillard
01-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Hello everyone...im trying to light a living room i made and im having a hard time...im really bad at lighting and for the life of me cant figure out how to get my ambient light to cast soft shadows instead of the harsh sharp ones i seem to be getting...im using Metal Ray in Maya 2011 any help would be appreciated Thanks

AlFra
01-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Personally, I think it's quite rare to need to use an ambient light for anything. Maybe you're using it for something specifc. I would use a point light instead and use Light Radius/Shadow Rays to control softness if you're using Raytracing or Resolution/Filter Size with Depth Map. Then use an Ambient Light as well if you need it, with Ambient Shade turned off.

As far as I'm aware, ambient lights are really just meant to make everything in the scene brighter (same as increasing the brightness in Photoshop), though the Ambient Shade option sort of blends it with a point light.

Don't know whether this will fix your problem or not...

kanooshka
01-07-2012, 11:25 PM
If you're going to use an ambient light, disable the shadows/ambient shade for it and instead multiply that light by an occlusion pass. Just remember not to multiply any lights with shadows enabled by the ambient occlusion pass.

AntoineMDillard
01-08-2012, 03:00 AM
Wow Thanks for the help guys...i thought i could use an ambient light like a spotlight and play with photons as well as other shadow options (like i said before im pretty much a noob at lighting)....i just ended up using a spotlight for shadows and creating another ambient to brighten up the scene like you mention AlFra...thanks again guys...really appreciate the help

CGTalk Moderation
01-08-2012, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.