PDA

View Full Version : Scene: Solar System

Casmira
11-14-2003, 05:43 AM
hello, i just signed up after someone from another forum to go here when i was showing some stuff i made, im really not to literate when it comes to 3d artwork, im mainly photoshop but ive been moving into 3d artwork ...

anyways i used a program called 'axel' came with a PC magazine i bought and i sought it convinient because it came with a pc magazine and because it was alot like 'UnrealED' which was a 3d map maker for unreal tournament (sort of counts of me making 3d artwork before, but i mean its only for a game, this is animated)

i thought if it would be nice if you people would check out my first work

640x480 (http://members.optushome.com.au/subzero2001/pub/3dtest/universe_s.html)
800x600 (http://members.optushome.com.au/subzero2001/pub/3dtest/universe.html)

Note: both are same size, i just made one smaller for slower computers or lower reso's, i think you need a plugin but i know for sure the file you download to see the animation is under 500kb

feedback is encouraged :beer:

gardocki
11-14-2003, 04:39 PM
It's a little fast on my machine (P4 2.4 GHz). I don't know if that's how you animated it, or if the Axel plugin just doesn't have a set framerate, so I can't really make out any details on the planets. The sun texture looks good, but too dark. Again, this may be a limitation of the plugin.

Casmira
11-15-2003, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

im heaps new to this, except i did do some 3d mapping for unreal tournament (great game ;))

i spent a very long time trying to fool axel into actually forcing the planets to rotate, i tryed to find a way to make it follow a string but ill show you in this picture what i did

http://members.optushome.com.au/subzero2001/pub/Physics.gif

i used a spring onto the star, which basically forces it to the star, but in order to make it rotate, i needed something to repel it so i added resistance

now all this did is push the planet out, so i cut the size of the actual spring down, and made the spring heaps springy, so we got something to pull the planet in and out, then after 5 seconds it rotates

since i was spending only bout 1hr-2hrs on this i wasnt very fussed on speed but i realised that the planets dont rotate at all if i slow it down too much! works on tbe basics of physics ;)

the planets was a very quick job, i just pulled some metal textures and did a material colour over it, at the moment im looking for some 'land textures' so i can cover the planets but no luck so far, i need like a solid land texture but if i get some dirt and put it on, to plain etc.. since im in photoshop i might digitall just add a really big ocean into like maybe a mars planet texture

the speed stays the same on all machines, ill try and figure out a way to slow them down alot more, if i can slow them down alot, then thats great news because i could get a moon to rotate some of the planets.

thanks for pointing out the speed problem though, more feedback ? :D

blindsleeper
11-17-2003, 06:24 AM
well besides the speed, you also need different distances though im sure you thought about that and probably will be looking at it sometime. the spring/repel method is very similar to what actually happens to planets when they rotate so that is actually very cool.

HeroChannel
11-17-2003, 08:17 AM
Hello,

I suppose, that's a birlliant idea, but you sholud make some other nicer models, and it will became a very very good animation...:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.